Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion: Don't let FoMmunity toxic behavior ruin Reborn

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fall of Denial, Aug 5, 2017.

1. KetelOne Taxpayer

KetelOne
    Ratings:
    +37 / 3
    You and Kami were damn good R7s. Good enough that my friends and I still talk about shit we did with yall at the helm 12 years later.

2. NemoDahFish Dweller

NemoDahFish
    Ratings:
    +31 / 2
    Is FDC ready?

[​IMG]

Feel like this whole discussion went off topic.

We can only rely on the game it self being interesting and balanced enough to keep players coming back for more. Everything else will come by it self.

No amount of good RP and good leaders can save a bad game.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Cathmor Taxpayer

Cathmor
    Donator Alpha Tester
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Here's the thing about the Fommunity. It was never toxic. You ever play LoL ranked? That's fucking toxic. There's a difference.

I've heard this since 2005. FoM was unique because it was people driven. You had to induct yourself in to a group of people. By now you have probably done that IRL and realized that people are dicks at first. People are dicks for a long time. People are like that until you prove that you are worth something.

Just like IRL, it's the old fucks like Papa Mojo and Kami in leadership positions that give new people a chance. They might be cryptkeepers now but they are the example you want to follow when talking about leadership. If there is an overarching guidance from a faction things will naturally fall in to place or players will go looking for what suits them.

All of that means nothing if the game is bad.

And please don't fucking ask development or community managers to do it for you because then you get Smoker you fucks.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Egroeg Dilettante

Egroeg
    Donator Alpha Tester
    Ratings:
    +23 / 2
    Hey look, it's me. :D Fun FB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OT: Like I said before, I think it was more the development path and administration of FoM at the times that ruined it and killed the game. The players got more toxic and hateful toward it and could care less as it went on and was dying and dying and dying day by day and would get worse as some people stopped caring.

I remember when it was re-opened in '09 and from like '09-'11 maybe '12 the game was pretty decent and solid as far as gameplay, stability, leadership, things to do, etc.

It's a fine line the intervention between OOC and IC, the game will balance itself out between situations like life does considering this is a player-ran socially interaction game. You'll get the Hitlers here and there, you'll get the movie stars, you'll get the beefy fighters, and so on all interacting in a world.

As long as development goes in the right direction and a huge majority of the players like the constant changes and additions, I see no issue. Start to ignore them and stopping their fun, and they'll start to care less.

Some instances I remember among the many:
    EC being stopped from crashing FDC's markets on the Yukon by a GM; Smart plays like this need to be allowed through if it's possibly done by the players, stopping player content like this makes people angry.

Every change in Fall of The Dominion; Seriously everything in that game was terrible and completely ignored EVERYTHING the players wanted lol.

Forced events by GM's like the MIB incident; If this was somehow done all IC and by the players through mechanics implemented, it would be dope, but it wasn't and mostly 100% GM made and fabricated and forced. Maybe secretly throwing new armor blueprints in and letting the corps figure it out and produce a new line would have been better. Or the real GIS having an internal struggle creating real MIB agent break-offs.

and many more...

• Like Like x 2
  5. KetelOne Taxpayer

KetelOne
    Ratings:
    +37 / 3

I guess things changed quite a bit after I quit. The type of involvement you are talking about is WAY more overreaching than what I was suggesting. Personally I thought the aliens were a stupid and pointless addition, even if they were fun to mess around with people, but even the RP around them was weak at best and couldn't sustain itself. I vaguely remember something about the MIB stuff, which may have been a play on the old FoM which had GIS as a faction and someone (assuming GMs) would run coordinated events with them. An event like the MIB could have worked great to solve some downtime or boredom if the staff got buy in from the faction leaders, and let them evolve the story. There are mechanics of that which require the staff involvement in the story line (creating the armor blueprints, having GIS characters, etc).

Obviously the staff are community leaders, but so are the R6 and R7s. Everyone in those positions is effectively a team, and should work together like one to ensure the rest of the community is having fun. Balance....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Valiant Dweller

Valiant
    Ratings:
    +17 / 4
    You know the sad thing right now is that toxic behaviour has already embedded itself in the forums. Once we get big, I mean really big, I won't be surprised if a lot of the acid-spitting posts are quietly deleted and the forums santized.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Chip Lawrie Game Writer

Chip Lawrie
    Staff Member Donator
    Ratings:
    +131 / 2
    Fuck you, buddy.

:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cathmor Taxpayer

Cathmor
    Donator Alpha Tester
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    These forums are fucking tame compared to what the FoM forums were. Thing is, which has always been a FoM problem, people forget that you aren't always going to like everyone you meet. Majority of us were kids without real life experience though and were still in the stage before you actually get it through your head that you don't have to like everyone.

It was always a back and forth between crying for GM intervention and rebelling against GM intervention/absolute piss pore game development.

The real answer? Give players real tools. Real game mechanics. Provide them with a real event team that can work with them on RP events.

The community/game always lacked those necessary things and suffered for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. PapaMojo Dweller

PapaMojo
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    I think I left before the true "toxic" FoM came to be, but tbh thats why I was stating that some faction stuff needs to be baked in, so that people have an incentive to play to their factions role in the world, and be dissuaded (but not prevented) from playing other roles.

An example might be drugs. One of the ongoing debates was always: Should the criminal faction be the only one to make drugs?

The answer isn't actually yes or no (again, IMHO), but a synthesis of the two. Drug creation could have both a potency and a failure rate. If you are a member of a criminal faction, your failure rate is low, and your potency rate is higher then other factions. If you're a business faction, your failure rate is moderate, and your potency is average. If you're government, your failure rate is high, and your potency is low.

If you're a mercenary and killing people, then killing people on contract should get you more benefits. Killing people on contract in their home colony should get even more.

If you're a cop, you should get more benefits arresting someone on patrol who has illegal substances, then you would if you're just killing people on their colony.

I think part of where toxic behavior comes from (other then the internet in general) is when you do not have things to do to benefit and advance yourself in a game, and when the things you do have don't make sense in-game. (Imma collect 5 bear pelts, but I'm an Inquisitor and supposed to be stopping an invasion? Uh, ok).

Lastly, a small amount of toxicity is actually *needed*. We need our villains in-game as much as those who are respected. If you're from old OB, love them or hate them, but people like Audie Murphy and Rivers stuck out as memorable foils.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. KetelOne Taxpayer

KetelOne
    Ratings:
    +37 / 3

Yall are certainly both right, the toxicity and villains per se are needed, and it should be really interesting to see how the "vets" interact with the new community 4 years after the shut down and 7-10+ years since some of us started playing the game. There is some good talks about mechanics happening in various channels, providing players with the tools to do what they want, but not forcing them down a path.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Safwan Dilettante

Safwan
    Ratings:
    +155 / 13
    I hope staff is reading all these posts because this is a treasure trove. I know thread is all over the place but some real substance is in it. Jord? Bio? Chip?

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. BioXide Founder

BioXide
    Staff Member Lead Developer Management
    Ratings:
    +63 / 4
    Of course, we're here and listening to you guys :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Necidious Community Manager

Necidious
    Staff Member Management
    Ratings:
    +99 / 7
    Yep, we're lurking around.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Cathmor Taxpayer

Cathmor
    Donator Alpha Tester
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Personally if this becomes an interesting game that I want to play I have no intention of acting like playing FoM previously means anything. That is an absurd level of ego and is in no way positive, in my opinion.

Knowing the old community though I expect there will be some of that.

Any "vet" worth a damn should expect it and be prepared to squash that kind of behavior.

• Like Like x 3
  15. RadishGamma Game Writer

RadishGamma
    Staff Member Donator
    Ratings:
    +21 / 2
    Of course we're reading the threads, that's that the suggestion forum is here for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hari Seldon Dilettante

Hari Seldon
    Donator Alpha Tester
    Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    It's really only natural to be willing to collaborate with people you have some form of long term association with even in cases were you are trying to judge which potential devil to choose, that is another reason why it is important for factions to be very careful about who they pick for/support in leadership.

I would agree with you that being a FoMer in MR as a rational for exclusive behavior is very much worthy of derision. Not sure it will require policing though, so long as the game is worth playing and manages to attract none FoM people to it the groups that turn away new talent because they don't like new people are only going to harm themselves, unlike FotD vets (probably) wont have any real entrenched advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jord Developer

Jord
    Staff Member Management Project Manager &
    Level Designer
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    We read everything. And I'm in big agreement with PapaMojo that factions need ingame incentives to differentiate them from other factions. We've got a lot of that planned already, the factions should all have pretty strong identities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tod Maddux Citizen

Tod Maddux
    Ratings:
    +188 / 23
    That is a logical assumption that I think anyone would have on a gaming board. But we all came from an illogical game.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Armitxes Dweller

Armitxes
    Donator Alpha Tester
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    To begin, get rid of faction rank wipes.
    Shitty rank wipes to R1 with every new leader - terrible! An entire faction has to suffer just so that some random can get his buddies and supporters in R3-R6.

20. PhoenixMask Dweller

PhoenixMask
    Ratings:
    +4 / 4
    Well, those "randoms" got voted in democratically so there's no issue of him doing a restructure if he wants to do so.