Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
113 5 0
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
I think we should add in some type of sci fi version of a radio like system to replace the magical ability to faction chat. The devices can be tuned into certain channels (make something like up to 10,000 for the numbering system so they can switch frequencies and the enemies won't be able to guess). This would enhance role play greatly, as factions will try to figure out the frequency each other are at. In addition to factions, this could help facilitate inter-faction roleplay. A group of people might want to set up a "trading" channel or "new player help" channel. This could perhaps let people who want it have ability to use server-wide chat, without having to see it if you don't want to. The possibilites with this system would be endless, everything from high command meeting channels to "dark net" type frequencies where people arrange to buy everything from hitmen to drugs. A cool implant (or gadget of some type) would be a voice masker so you can type your messages anonymously into the chat. Would open the door for CPC trying to infiltrate the drug channels.

Spastique

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 30, 2017
Reactions
547 29 3
Terran Defense Corps
As for the original post, while that idea certainly sounds interesting it also sounds like a lot of work to use a chat, and I am not particularly fond of work

Drakxon

Taxpayer

Alpha Tester
Patron
Aug 26, 2018
Reactions
0 0 0
North Star Mining
Actually it's not a bad idea gmod servers for halo rp use these things. It's basically just a radio with changeable frequencies he is talking about.

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
113 5 0
Civil Protection Commission
If this sounded super complicated and not fun, I didn't mean for it to sound that way. It'd be super simple, actually. Just get one of these in your inventory and enter type in the number your faction or whatever is using, and you're in that chat. Nothing complex.

Spastique

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 30, 2017
Reactions
547 29 3
Terran Defense Corps
If this sounded super complicated and not fun, I didn't mean for it to sound that way. It'd be super simple, actually. Just get one of these in your inventory and enter type in the number your faction or whatever is using, and you're in that chat. Nothing complex.
OK sorry we are a bit simple

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
317 5 0
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
I mean lore wise faction chat is basically an encrypted channel your PADD gives you access to so that you may communicate instantaneously with members of your faction using the ansible system. Group/Mission chat works in a similar way though ideally, I'd like that restricted to people on the same world (due to ansible costs).

I suppose we could include some way of selling the codecs to decrypt various faction chats as a plugin for the PADD but it sounds like it'd just encourage alt-abuse or faction hopping to 'collect the codecs'