Cadonez

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
I had the idea for a fun idea for more player interaction(tm). Essentially the bank robbery would be a raid on an earth map, or offworld in a DeMorgans Castle-esque place. The location would be a defensible position with player deployables that had a terminal that could be hacked at the end. The goal is to break in, hack the bank terminal and essentially siphon funds per unit of time, such as 50k UC a minute. Whose UC would be siphoned could be variable, but my primary idea would be the Terran Union's tax income. This would create an urgency for the CDC to defend the location from any would be robbers. It would also create a way to target the government factions income during a conflict, which I assume is guaranteed. Another possibility is the UC depositing in the hackers inventory, which they would then have to leave the facility and reach a storage/off world location to turn into the digital currency. I think it'd be neat for the clans/hired merc cells to have a focused player raid that could be lucrative or disastrous depending on the skill of both parties. And with siphon mechanics I don't think it's too far fetched.
/discuss

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
So this sounds similar to something that we had discussions around implementing in regards to Faction HQs and maybe territories.

Faction HQ wise the gang/cell/group of nutters would break into a Faction HQ (let's say Oda) and if they could make their way to certain terminals either via stealth or force they can do certain things ranging from stealing pmods to stealing faction funds. (With the CPC maybe even wipe some warrants and some PP). This would ofc be fairly hard as Faction HQs are secure and any faction worth its salt will try and protect those areas with both drones and people.

Territories and Colonies would act in the same way on a smaller scale with players either setting a siphon (for a stealthy small amount of money over time as long as it isn't noticed) or straight up stealing some funds for instant gratification (but probably more chance of getting caught).

Personally, I'd like to tie this in with our investigation mechanics and give all the budding hard-boiled detectives out there something to do. Making the cops vs robbers and intelligence vs terrorist games wider and part of the background to the game.

Tod Maddux

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
Civil Protection Commission
Terrorist will be exterminated.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
So this sounds similar to something that we had discussions around implementing in regards to Faction HQs and maybe territories.

Faction HQ wise the gang/cell/group of nutters would break into a Faction HQ (let's say Oda) and if they could make their way to certain terminals either via stealth or force they can do certain things ranging from stealing pmods to stealing faction funds. (With the CPC maybe even wipe some warrants and some PP). This would ofc be fairly hard as Faction HQs are secure and any faction worth its salt will try and protect those areas with both drones and people.

Territories and Colonies would act in the same way on a smaller scale with players either setting a siphon (for a stealthy small amount of money over time as long as it isn't noticed) or straight up stealing some funds for instant gratification (but probably more chance of getting caught).

Personally, I'd like to tie this in with our investigation mechanics and give all the budding hard-boiled detectives out there something to do. Making the cops vs robbers and intelligence vs terrorist games wider and part of the background to the game.
That sounds pretty interesting, a robbery mechanic for all factions. I guess in the case of the government agencies it would be a known bank instead of an HQ for my idea. Whichever is feasible though.

Wilbon

Taxpayer

Supporting Donator
Dec 20, 2018
The Syndicate
But LED and FDC couldn't defend DMC, how are they gonna defend a bank from every other faction wanting a fat stack?

Reactions: Tod Maddux

David Ord

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
May 8, 2018
Reading this I cant help remembering how faction funds were withdrawn.

As the R7 you had to contact a GM when you wanted a large sum withdrawn, and their was no withdraw limit. Except when the faction funds ran out. Being able to withdraw 3 million uc was a bit overkill.

Having a faction bank could eliminate the need to contact a GM and have the faction funds ready at anytime for the faction leader. Statistic would show daily, weekly, monthly and yearly earnings to all faction members.

Siphoning attacks would be a common occurance, the CPC would not only have to defend its own bank, but that of others. Imagine the shit storm other factions would create if their funds were stolen and the CPC didnt intervene.

If this idea was to be implement, i believed it should be tried and tested with small amounts allowed to be siphoned.

SideShow

Taxpayer

Jul 3, 2017
No Faction
The idea in general sounds fun.

Only thing i'm wondering. What's the downside to raiding a bank? What happens if you fail? (Apart from any arrests or any other mechanic thats available outside of this "raid").

Is this something you can just do? Or do you have to "initiate" it? (Like you would a dungeon in a regular MMO? Or like a "World Boss").

This seems easily exploitable in your explanation.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
The idea in general sounds fun.

Only thing i'm wondering. What's the downside to raiding a bank? What happens if you fail? (Apart from any arrests or any other mechanic thats available outside of this "raid").

Is this something you can just do? Or do you have to "initiate" it? (Like you would a dungeon in a regular MMO? Or like a "World Boss").

This seems easily exploitable in your explanation.
You have to break into a guarded location, facing turrets, arrest and death in a full loot drop game.

SideShow

Taxpayer

Jul 3, 2017
No Faction
You have to break into a guarded location, facing turrets, arrest and death in a full loot drop game.
Which is different from any other activity you could do that involves gunplay in what way?

A terminal with a hacking minigame at the end that has a slightly different reward?

What's the difference between this and, let's say, breaking your way into into a faction HQ that's a guarded location, facing turrets, arrest and death in a full loot drop game?

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
Which is different from any other activity you could do that involves gunplay in what way?

A terminal with a hacking minigame at the end that has a slightly different reward?

What's the difference between this and, let's say, breaking your way into into a faction HQ that's a guarded location, facing turrets, arrest and death in a full loot drop game?
It requires planning and cohesion of a group unlike random or general fighting. The Devs have already responded they’re looking at faction HQ raids for siphoning which I assume this idea will merge with.

Tornadium

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 1, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 5
There would need to be some kind of lockout system in place. Otherwise we'll face the inevitable "Hey lets all raid the weakest faction in the game for cash every hour on the hour".

It's incredibly open to abuse and would need to be done with some kind of protection system in mind. Instead of stealing directly from faction funds perhaps have colony income sent to a secure location in the Faction HQ each pay cycle. At the end of the cycle the funds are then deposited safely into the Faction Fund account. Factions can raid one or twice per week to attempt to steal the funds before they go into the pool.

This way you can't relentlessly fuck a weaker faction but you have big payoffs for hitting the stronger ones. The downside of this is that it's easily abused by having an alt come and do the hack at the start of the week to prevent anyone doing it again for that cycle.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
There would need to be some kind of lockout system in place. Otherwise we'll face the inevitable "Hey lets all raid the weakest faction in the game for cash every hour on the hour".

It's incredibly open to abuse and would need to be done with some kind of protection system in mind. Instead of stealing directly from faction funds perhaps have colony income sent to a secure location in the Faction HQ each pay cycle. At the end of the cycle the funds are then deposited safely into the Faction Fund account. Factions can raid one or twice per week to attempt to steal the funds before they go into the pool.

This way you can't relentlessly fuck a weaker faction but you have big payoffs for hitting the stronger ones. The downside of this is that it's easily abused by having an alt come and do the hack at the start of the week to prevent anyone doing it again for that cycle.
Agreed it does need some balancing. Weaker factions presumably will not have any income to steal in the first place, making the rich(and presumably powerful) factions the main targets.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999

I like this:smirk:

Tod Maddux

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
I hate to say this, but Torn is right. There also needs to be a heavy consequence for failure. Risking nothing to gain a portion of another factions funds seems really unbalanced. There needs to be a reason not to do it.

Tornadium

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 1, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 5
I come up with good ideas when I'm not sperging out.

CheSquattII

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jul 31, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
I hate to say this, but Torn is right. There also needs to be a heavy consequence for failure. Risking nothing to gain a portion of another factions funds seems really unbalanced. There needs to be a reason not to do it.
Sometimes even children have wisdom.
Make the tools to pull the raid off highly valuable, so that there's also incentive for other factions to kill raiders to steal the tools, and so that losing them feels like, bad.

SideShow

Taxpayer

Jul 3, 2017
No Faction
This is exactly my point. If there are no drawbacks or consequences to failure, it becomes "just another thing" to point your gun at and fire.

That, in turn, makes it the same as going to any other place with a semi-organised group of people.

For example. A failed attempt to hack the funds could be broadcoast to the game world and make the attackers fund "raid" temporarily vulnerable. You could do this by making their territory defenses unavailable or very easy to penetrate.

I also agree with Tornadium that abuse by alts should be made unavailable. For example the stash hack could only be initiated by a person of sufficient rank (and becomes free to hack for anyone after this) or the "raid" itself can only be initiated by a person of sufficient rank. (If this was a selectable "raid" like other MMO's or a mission objective like old FoM had)

Last edited: