Cadonez

Activist

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
This was brought up in discord and I think it's actually a really good idea. Cargo shuttles spawn and depart at intervals, carrying all items supposed to be transferred from colony to colony. Hacking the shuttle allows you access to some/or all of it's contents(tagged by faction/name), and for example hacking once allows you access to 20%, twice 40% etc. This would make Corpsec important in defending it's ecoers transferring goods(or those content starved mercs), and the TU Agencies proactive in preventing terrorist attacks on the citizen economy, while allowing anyone from organized groups to individuals to gain a high reward for taking the risk. Whether to make this exclusive or not is debatable, and what interval the cargo ships should depart is up open to feedback as well.

Reactions: arav and Winston

Pooeb

Dweller

May 30, 2020
No Faction
I 100% support this idea. This would be a great mechanic and I will do whatever it takes to make sure it is somehow implemented in the game.

LordAdder

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 23, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
I would say why have this when things are instantly transported between worlds via fucking wonka vision, but maybe there's a limit to how much you can transport at a time and the rest needs to be sent physically? This would also be crucial for Megas that have large eco orders to fulfill. So yeah I'd like to see this.

Maybe depending on the world design you have a cargo shuttle from specific storage terminals and the spaceport.

Tornadium

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 5
I like this idea, Gives people an incentive to manually transport goods.

What kind of interval would you think would be acceptable for the shuttles?

Cadonez

Activist

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
15 minutes/1 in game hour
Is reasonable to me, makes it not a huge pain in the ass for ecoers but pretty high stakes

Ranfre

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Sep 15, 2018
Seattle
Avalon Enterprises
It's weird if we can transport people instantly across the universe but for inanimate objects we have to use a slow spaceships

• Haha
Reactions: Rian Felix

Pooeb

Dweller

May 30, 2020
No Faction
It's weird if we can transport people instantly across the universe but for inanimate objects we have to use a slow spaceships
Maybe you can teleport only a certain amount of materials, but past a certain weight you have to use the train.

Banjo

Helpful Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
It could be changed to be a "vortex cargo transportation silo", that every 30min can send massive amount of materials through the vortex network. The fluff should take 2nd priority to gameplay, and since it's a sci-fi universe its easy to make up some handwavy excuse.

Hari Seldon

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 17, 2017
Cloning
Followers of Eternity
I mean we don't air freight a lot of modern heavy industry cargo so not so much.

The only issue I see is it being an embuggerance to have to stand around and wait for one to go and for security reasons ecoers will wait to send batches to the last second.

I am assuming a hack means you can send it to a new player destination? Would the CPC be able to do some evidence gathering to see who profited (not necessarily who did it) and would a hack from a different person be able to change an already hacked shipment?

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 1, 2017
No Faction
My suggestion was for the shuttles to take off once per in game hour and have a 15 minute load time. You “que” your cargo before the load time, at the top of the hour it starts loading and must be protected for 15 minutes. Once it’s shipped you’re free to continue about your day. Could be 10 minutes, whatever the devs think balance wise. I think having this be a once an hour event type thing could be nice for the immersion in the game.

As far as why we can instantaneously travel across planets but cargo must be shipped? Can easily be explained by exponential energy use based on size or something. There’s difference between a human and tons of raw materials.

the second part was for illicit products to be forced to be produced off of earth and that if the TDC or whatever decided to “scan” cargo, they could confiscate illegal material. Give them a rather distinct job in that respect

Reactions: Hari Seldon

Arkavus

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 15, 2017
Guns of the Conclave
Couldn't the storage units themselves act as a "shuttle"?

If the shuttle is used, they have to be flying up to a ship that can warp. Unless you have a ship that can warp, you aren't sending anything in any reasonable amount of time. Hooray, my stuff got here! Oh wait, it's 300 years later... And I really dislike lazy Sci-Fi.

I also am not sure of the shuttle moving much. Maybe out of a locked hanger to prepare for take-off? Then whatever countdown starts to give people time to steal it before it takes off and flies away. Could have it then land at the destination colony and start another timer before it's safe.

I'm wondering about smaller shipments though. Obviously, it's a pain in the rear to do this for anything but a lot of items. This creates a problem though. If small shipments don't trigger a shuttle, you can just macro out sending a batch of small shipments to avoid the trigger.

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 1, 2017
No Faction
Couldn't the storage units themselves act as a "shuttle"?

If the shuttle is used, they have to be flying up to a ship that can warp. Unless you have a ship that can warp, you aren't sending anything in any reasonable amount of time. Hooray, my stuff got here! Oh wait, it's 300 years later... And I really dislike lazy Sci-Fi.

I also am not sure of the shuttle moving much. Maybe out of a locked hanger to prepare for take-off? Then whatever countdown starts to give people time to steal it before it takes off and flies away. Could have it then land at the destination colony and start another timer before it's safe.

I'm wondering about smaller shipments though. Obviously, it's a pain in the rear to do this for anything but a lot of items. This creates a problem though. If small shipments don't trigger a shuttle, you can just macro out sending a batch of small shipments to avoid the trigger.
This would mean no instantaneous transportation of items unless you carry them on your person. Im thinking like old Keplars Dome, NYC Brooklyn, Tokyo Shibuya, all had shuttle areas. could be built into every colony for this purpose.

Hepopotan

Dweller

Jul 24, 2017
ya mum's hut
Civil Protection Commission
Against the mechanic. I feel like this has more potential to screw over the average Joe then it does for big crops and large eco runs. Transferring stuff would become a uncertain pain and I already wanna fucking die when my Amazon package gets delayed due to 'external factors' in Montreal by over a month. Also, what would happen to the taxes we pay to transfer things between worlds, are they refunded? I think most people would just end up keeping shit on world and hop between them to pick up a rag-tag set of gear since they don't wanna loose out on 10k gear sets to some rogue hacker at 3 AM when most of 'Corp Sec' is sleeping. Also the time intervals would slow down the general flow of the economy as ecoers now would have to wait to get all there stuff delivered to a world for production at X intervals for each set of minerals mined on Y worlds for Z time.

There's a lot of ideas on the discord getting around about how we can add new mechanics to keep increasing risks (some are good), but chill out a bit. Some of us just wanna get into big beef without having to sweat the small things. Adding more filler between the players and beef is what rightly killed FotD.

Reactions: Ranfre

Skiy

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 11, 2017
The Syndicate
Service Points: 2
Also, what would happen to the taxes we pay to transfer things between worlds, are they refunded?

Shipping Insurance :cool: Covers the fee for a transfer, no insurance lose the fee ontop of your goods. Even more reason for security.

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 1, 2017
No Faction
Against the mechanic. I feel like this has more potential to screw over the average Joe then it does for big crops and large eco runs. Transferring stuff would become a uncertain pain and I already wanna fucking die when my Amazon package gets delayed due to 'external factors' in Montreal by over a month. Also, what would happen to the taxes we pay to transfer things between worlds, are they refunded? I think most people would just end up keeping shit on world and hop between them to pick up a rag-tag set of gear since they don't wanna loose out on 10k gear sets to some rogue hacker at 3 AM when most of 'Corp Sec' is sleeping. Also the time intervals would slow down the general flow of the economy as ecoers now would have to wait to get all there stuff delivered to a world for production at X intervals for each set of minerals mined on Y worlds for Z time.

There's a lot of ideas on the discord getting around about how we can add new mechanics to keep increasing risks (some are good), but chill out a bit. Some of us just wanna get into big beef without having to sweat the small things. Adding more filler between the players and beef is what rightly killed FotD.
My thought behind the idea is to add risk to the economy that can be mitigated, and that doesn’t make the game tedious to play for ecoers.
In your scenario, you’re talking about rogue hackers at 3am.. then the enterprising ecoer can make the decision to hold off on transferring stuff off world until he can ensure it’s protection, either by paying guards, or waiting for his factional guards to show up. I believe I also mentioned that imo all production facilities should only be on earth, whereas all illicit production should be on colonies.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
I like this idea and have had it planned out for years now, although I wouldn't use it for the main storage transportation since like hepo said, it wouldn't be good for the average joe. I'm thinking this would fit better with the "active" methods of ecoing, such as controlling a mining/refinement outpost that only allows transporting the results by that transport system, or maybe as an alternate method of transportation, that can allow transporting bulk goods for way cheaper prices.

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 1, 2017
No Faction
I like this idea and have had it planned out for years now, although I wouldn't use it for the main storage transportation since like hepo said, it wouldn't be good for the average joe. I'm thinking this would fit better with the "active" methods of ecoing, such as controlling a mining/refinement outpost that only allows transporting the results by that transport system, or maybe as an alternate method of transportation, that can allow transporting bulk goods for way cheaper prices.
Imo any system that allows for production to be disrupted has the potential to mess with the average every day player, more than it does the mass producer or group even. I like systems like this because while it adds risk to the game, it can be mitigated and most importantly mitigated by interacting with other players. The systems I dislike are the ones that involve limiting you actually playing the game.

As a side note, having multiple different systems for mining / ecoing that don’t really add to the game play doesn’t really do it for me, wouldn’t it just make sense to have one singular well thought out system to save yourself time and to make it idk, easier for anyone to get into

Reactions: Ranfre