• Total voters

LordAdder

Wiki Editor

Community Contributor
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
So I've played a lot of RP gamemodes on GarrysMod (Sue me) and a lot of them implemented a local text chat.

I THINK I recall FoM having something like this (But It might be the Alzheimer's messing up with my memory.)

Anyway, I know where's a thread about in game local voice, but I want to know if there's going to be local text for the glorious Text RP master race.

Also, I was wondering if there's going to be a implementation as to range for the local chat? Like Whisper, speak and yell. Also if possible, could there be a way to tell who can hear you when you're typing? I see this in a lot of Gmod RP mods (Mostly SSTRP) which tells you as you're typing who is in range.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Project Management
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
Service Points: 0
Local text chat will be the game's default text chat. There will be no global chat as far as I know. Local as in vicinity chat.

And yes. You'll be able to private message other people (whisper equivalent) and shout.

PhoenixMask

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Civil Protection Commission
I support this

and local voice chat is a bad bad idea let's not do that please.

Spastique

Helpful Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
IG voip is a terrible idea, it'd be worse than garrys mod

Reactions: Egroeg

LordAdder

Wiki Editor

Community Contributor
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
Local text chat will be the game's default text chat. There will be no global chat as far as I know. Local as in vicinity chat.

And yes. You'll be able to private message other people (whisper equivalent) and shout.

Do you know if there will be a system to inform the individual who is typing who can read the text? It would be unfortunate to be just out of range for Local chat and having to retype a message because they didn't hear you. (Might be nitpicking but it could possibly help with players getting into the RP).

And I agree VOIP is a bad idea. It's much better to imagine someone's character when you don't have a irl voice to associate with it. IMAGINATION

Shakespears

Connoisseur

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Is there a seckes chat tab/mode?

Asking for a friend

Skiy

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
The Syndicate
Service Points: 2
Do you know if there will be a system to inform the individual who is typing who can read the text? It would be unfortunate to be just out of range for Local chat and having to retype a message because they didn't hear you. (Might be nitpicking but it could possibly help with players getting into the RP).

I doubt it very much. Could be abused fairly easily, no? Run around an area saying "." to see who else is around would make it very easy to check to see if there's a group of players that you want to kill. You could add a local list in the chat but then that limits the ability to hide from pursuing players. If they know you haven't escaped because they can see your name in chat, it'll be a little bit bullshit.

Any idea how you'd do it?

LordAdder

Wiki Editor

Community Contributor
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
I doubt it very much. Could be abused fairly easily, no? Run around an area saying "." to see who else is around would make it very easy to check to see if there's a group of players that you want to kill. You could add a local list in the chat but then that limits the ability to hide from pursuing players. If they know you haven't escaped because they can see your name in chat, it'll be a little bit bullshit.

Any idea how you'd do it?

Are you saying that players would Abuse the ability to see who can hear you and find hiding people? Idk that seems like a bit of a stretch, especially if you need to type to even see who can hear you.

Ferin

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Terran Defense Corps
In FoM you could scroll previously written text with the up arrow, just add that in and then its no pain

Skiy

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
The Syndicate
Are you saying that players would Abuse the ability to see who can hear you and find hiding people? Idk that seems like a bit of a stretch, especially if you need to type to even see who can hear you.

Either I'm misunderstanding or we are talking about local chat. If it's for local chat then I would be the person happily running around spamming "." in local just to see who could see it. Not hard to set up a bind to spam chat just to see who's around.

So I don't see a point in a mechanic letting me see who can or couldn't read what I've typed. If you're into your roleplay then the guy is going to be infront of you, not across the way behind a wall.

LordAdder

Wiki Editor

Community Contributor
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
I guess that's true. It won't be a problem with hearing if you are standing nose to nose with someone

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Question for y'all how do people feel like the ability to access an in game 'global' chat via terminals? Sorta like an IRC on public communication terminals.

On the note of comms terminals what are people's opinions on having PMs need to have a terminal (either public or apartment based) in order to access?

Reactions: Shakespears

Shakespears

Connoisseur

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Question for y'all how do people feel like the ability to access an in game 'global' chat via terminals? Sorta like an IRC on public communication terminals.

On the note of comms terminals what are people's opinions on having PMs need to have a terminal (either public or apartment based) in order to access?

Y not through a pda/phone that you can carry? Can even make a Jai Patel npc that sells them

LordAdder

Wiki Editor

Community Contributor
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps

I like the Idea of Private Messaging being through a mailbox/home terminal system. Although, I can kind of see this as becoming somewhat annoying when you're out doing your thing and you get a PM you think that could be important, so you drop everything and head back to your apartment only to see it as junk mail.

I think it would be cool to have a PDA for Messages, but if people are sending items you need to access them from a home terminal/mailbox.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
There is a PDA atm - it's on your wrist and is one of the ways faction and group messaging works (lore wise). It also does inventory management and the like. I don't see why it can to mail.

Main reason I ask about terminals is part of my never-ending quest to Make Terminals Great Again by finding uses for them rather than having useless terminals and screens about the place :D

PhoenixMask

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Global chat via terminals: I don't see why people would go and use a terminal just for having conversations across the galaxy, it would probably just be used by some player that runs by it and just writes some LEL MEMES XD in global.
Maybe we could have a terminal that you could pay a fee to have a message sent out that can be seen by anyone who is on the colony or even globally? Would be useful for advertising services/recruitment for example and a way to generate income.

PMs through terminal: Would be a massive pain in the ass to go back to a terminal/apartment just to read some email like "lol scrub tank [email protected]" by some guy you just killed. Quality of life over immersion on this one.

Seeing as the forums were pretty important in FoM it would be a good idea to do some neat integration between the game and the forums also. Getting players to read the IC forums and be aware of what's going would be good for retention

Cadonez

Activist

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
The Syndicate
Phoenix is right. In game terminals giving access to incharacter forums is important

Reactions: Shakespears

Skiy

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
The Syndicate

Sounds like a pain in the ass tbh. Oh, someone sent me a PM? Better run across a colony to send them back a message.

> K.

Well that was a waste of a bloody trip..

I wouldn't mind being able to use terminals to access the forums, but it'll be fairly underused considering we have these two amazing buttons called Alt and Tab. Still, it'd be cool for someone that likes seeing everything in a game serve a function of some sort.

PhoenixMask

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Phoenix is right. In game terminals giving access to incharacter forums is important

Wasn't thinking of terminals really, as Skiy said most people would just alt tab.
Having some access from inside the game menu + having some incentive for players to access it, just point people to it so they are aware its important.