Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
297 4 0
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 0
Hello Citizens,

Before we begin, I wanted to mention that we'll be doing community input threads more frequently, these threads give you the opportunity to assist the development of Mankind Reborn, we are a community driven game, so it's ideal to allow our community to influence the development of the game. Here's how this will work, we will work on the design of X feature internally, then bring up a community input thread to allow the community to voice their opinion and give ideas on the feature, we'll then grab ideas from both the developers and the community to further expand on the features and then finalize it in the Game Design Document, this is your time to shape the future of mankind! :)

Let's begin.

I've been going over some things in my head that I want to discuss, which boils down to these points:

- How can we visually represent damage
- How to identify which boosters players have
(And know when they are activated)
- Other combat elements which are important

Some shooters have damage numbers, health bars and other forms of visual aid to give you more information and feedback during combat. We plan on having some implants that offer player information at the cost of bio-energy, especially the "combat eye" (dev name), which will display player's health bars and other important information, we want a nice balance of offering enough feedback without overdoing it. You should be able to know what your opponent's "build" is by looking at their armor, weapons, implants, as well as knowing what consumables they're using by looking at their animations (or other features) during combat.

Some questions for you guys (Like always, these threads are for discussion and nothing here is official):

- How do you think damage should be represented visually? At the moment a blood particle plays when shot, should you have more feedback/visuals to know how damaged your opponent is? If so, what would you recommend?
- Should an animation play out when using consumable items?
(They would still function the same way, but your character will play a quick animation when using one), this will help in understanding what your opponent is using (You'll know when they're popping a med, etc)
- Should you know what consumables/boosters the player has active on him? (EXAMPLES: A green particle appears on the character when he's being healed, a "buff square" appears close to this health bar when using the "combat eye" implant)
- Any other thing you got in mind feel free to post it below in regards to the topic

Looking forward to your ideas!

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
113 5 0
Civil Protection Commission
I would like a little more realism added to the combat. Let's say someone gets below a certain HP, they go into a wounded animation and if hurt bad enough, they just fall down unable to fight. Perhaps put it on a delay so that it won't affect the fight, but if the person somehow escapes, they'll fall over wounded after a few mins.

Jun 2, 2017
Reactions
71 13 3
North Star Mining
- How do you think damage should be represented visually? At the moment a blood particle plays when shot, should you have more feedback/visuals to know how damaged your opponent is? If so, what would you recommend?
Blood particle worked fine for FoM and would still work fine here
Maybe some slight limping animation would be fine when the player is near death, but something in FoM I liked is how you could figure out that someone was almost dead due to the person focusing more on dodging than shooting/spazzing. Animations would take some of that depth out of combat.

(They would still function the same way, but your character will play a quick animation when using one), this will help in understanding what your opponent is using (You'll know when they're popping a med, etc)

Would probably look really derpy considering players are popping meds while constantly shooting in this kind of combat. I wouldn't mind having this but would probably be hard to get it right

- Should you know what consumables/boosters the player has active on him?
(EXAMPLES: A green particle appears on the character when he's being healed, a "buff square" appears close to this health bar when using the "combat eye" implant)

With an implant: Yes, would be interesting for some people to be able to take this implant and provide some intel during combat, as long as there are some others good options for implants in the same slot so this doesn't just become default. I'm against it showing health though due to what I pointed out before.
As for particles i'm worried about clutter. Everyone would be constantly green due to healing most of the time, if we add particles for every buff it would get worse . It's bad for people to understand what's going on(and the combat in this game is already pretty chaotic) and imo breaks a bit of the immersion that we need in the game.

Tod Maddux

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 30, 2017
Reactions
598 16 3
Guns of the Conclave
Can we have scroll combat text? I want to be able to see when I get a crit.

Oct 5, 2017
Reactions
14 2 0
Oda Zaibatsu
I would like a little more realism added to the combat. Let's say someone gets below a certain HP, they go into a wounded animation and if hurt bad enough, they just fall down unable to fight. Perhaps put it on a delay so that it won't affect the fight, but if the person somehow escapes, they'll fall over wounded after a few mins.
I'm not sure.... This could get kinda weird in zerg fights.

Skiy

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 12, 2017
Reactions
57 0 0
The Syndicate
Service Points: 2
Personally I'd rather just have a DBNO system. Have the HP be 100 with it able to go down to -20 or something, between 0 and -20 you're downed and can be picked up or just executed.

macmardigan

Taxpayer

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 28, 2017
Reactions
16 0 0
No Faction
How about having an electrocardiogram which is displayed when you have a proper eye implant? This graph would be altered by wounds, the use of boosters and meds.
- Should you know what consumables/boosters the player has active on him? (EXAMPLES: A green particle appears on the character when he's being healed, a "buff square" appears close to this health bar when using the "combat eye" implant) Why not? You could also add a square for the med he’s taking and remove the green particle.
- Any other thing you got in mind feel free to post it below in regards to the topic
Will there be any friend and foe identification system? If so, will departments be able to override general settings by HC?

Nov 5, 2017
Reactions
21 0 0
Terran Defense Corps
An immersive way to show how bad a character is hurt would be to show blood and wounds on the character's body and ripped clothes / damaged armor as his health points gets lower. It does require a lot more work to create different skins for every piece of clothing and armor though so I don't know if that is even a possibility.
I know Black Desert does this, Darkfall used to do it too. To give examples of what I'm talking about.

This would definitely help but these item animations shouldn't be too long otherwise it might be frustrating to die as you are stuck in animation. If an item is not instant use (like a large medkit for example), you should be allowed to quickly cancel the animation.

- Should you know what consumables/boosters the player has active on him?
I'm not a fan of too many particle effects as it tends to make battles look like a mess. Maybe the implant could allow you to see direct stats when you target a character, I kinda liked the electrocardiogram idea.[/quote][/quote]

Cadonez

Advocate

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
Reactions
207 13 0
The Syndicate
Maybe a targeting implant that shows an individual or group the target (target painter gun in fom sucked, maybe last person shot by group leader and he presses a function key to lock that target)

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
113 5 0
Civil Protection Commission
An immersive way to show how bad a character is hurt would be to show blood and wounds on the character's body and ripped clothes / damaged armor as his health points gets lower. It does require a lot more work to create different skins for every piece of clothing and armor though so I don't know if that is even a possibility.
I think it should be the opposite. As I gain the upper hand in a duel, my arms should keep getting bigger and bigger. Once my opponent is below 10 HP, the arms will rip through my shirt.