Community Input - Heroes of the Union

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Given the good quality of responses we got for our voiceover lines, I thought I'd throw another challenge out to you guys.

We're going to be naming the various spaceports on Earth and the Colonies after the brave members of the Union Agencies (CPC and TDC) who were awarded the Union Star or the Terran Cross for bravery.

The Terran Cross is the highest commonly awarded medal for bravery in the Agencies with around three being awarded in each Agency each year. The Terran Cross requires the signature of the head of the Agency for it to be awarded.

The Union Star is the highest honour a member of the Agencies can be awarded and must be signed off by both the head of the Agency and by a majority vote in the Council.

The first Union Star was awarded posthumously in 2119 to Private Jack Klorffson of the Terran Defense Corps who during the last of the Unification Wars held his position against a company of the European Corps of Infantry for nearly sixteen hours. His body was discovered by a relieving force surrounded by 46 Euro Corps soldiers, the last of which he had used his combat knife to kill before falling to what was later determined to be a sniper shot through his forehead.

The last Union Star was awarded in 2154 to Sergeant John Richson of the Terran Defense Corps who on the 13th of November of that year gave his life covering the retreat of his squad and nearly 150 civilians from the Beta Site on Getha during the initial Xenos attacks on that colony.

My Challenge to You:
Come up with a Hero of the Union, his name, his deeds etc. This isn't limited to just Agency personnel, though they're the only ones getting spaceports named for them. Brave members of corpsec teams need awards as well, maybe a gang member fought particularly well in the Shadow War of the Syndicate let me hear your hero's story.

We will pick the best of these and work them into our lore somehow, either naming a spaceport after them, sticking a small shrine to their memory somewhere or even incorporating them into faction lore and histories (when the faction's are opened up soon(tm))

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
Keltic Lupinous. A skilled diplomat and humanitarian.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Civil Protection Commission
Keith Yelnick - TDC MID Captain

Not known to most due to his reclusive nature and his position, Captain Keith Yelnick was unmatched for as a skilled handler for operators. Among ensuring proper intelligence was given for his men in the field, he often went above and beyond in taking care of them out of the field. Often he was rumored to be operating prostitution rings and illegal bootleg distilleries, though no known evidence or charges were brought against him in his life.

His renowned achievement is shared openly amongst The Terran Union for going above and beyond the call of duty in saving numerous lives during an xenomorph incident. When an outlying outpost came under Xeon threat, Captain Yelnick deployed with his operatives rather than letting them go alone without proper intelligence. Upon arrival, his squad encountered a large monstrous beast causing chaos and none of their firepower seemed to phase the beast's outer shell. In order to hault the advance of the ensuing chaos, Captain Yelnick sacrificed himself in a blaze of glory. With numerous explosives strap to his body, Captain Yelnick leapt into the beast's mouth and forced his way inside the beast in order to penetrate the seemingly indestructible folds and layers that covered the monster. Once deep inside, Yelnick was able to blow his payload and annihilate the innards of the creature, putting it out of commission and bring an end to the chaos.

Although the report makes no mention, survivors of the incident claimed Captain Yelnick only acted due to the influence of a clear bottled with a blue/black labeled beverage. Some how a fragment of the label survived the ordeal, leaving questions to what the drink was. The fragment only showed it starting with a "Z"

Reactions: TheJoker and Jord

Delan

Game Designer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Nov 8, 2017
Germany
Followers of Eternity
Service Points: 5
File NR. 271B94D30
Access classified

Name: 윤민소
Romanized: Yoon (surename) Min So
Birth: 2097.04.21 in Daejon(대전), Korea
Position: CPU Officer of the Civil Protection Commission
Assignment: Colony Patrol
Min So entered service at the Seoul Metropolitan Police in 2120 and was assigned to Seoul Jungbu Police Station. He was tranfered in 2125 to the Lower Union City Metropolitan Police Departement in order to reorganize the law enforcing bodys, without much success. After the forming of the Civil Protection Commission in 2132 and because of the ongoing efforts to restructure the police forces, he got transfered in 2134 to the Mining Complex 23b Police Office on Titan, taking the lead of the Titan Patrol & Training Division 23b under Warden Kevin Newmeyer of Black Star Security. It was the first joined CPC NSM Security venture to ensure safety of the local miners under partial Union supervision.

In 2137, prior to and in correlation with the "Methane Gas accident", Officer Yoon gave his life to protect more than 2000 Union Citizen and NSM personnel. In the last statement by Officer Yoon 5 days before the accident, he discribes the observation of NSM Black Star Security personnel meeting with people of unknown background. In his effort to track down the Identity of these individuals he activated his old contacts from Lower Union City. In an brief, not recorded, conversation he was able to confirm the identity of two of the three suspects. The first Individual was Kanye Okonjo of an underground African independence movement. The second one was Alexander Whyad that is tied to the NSM competitor BHP Billiton. The statement cites that he, after an already 7 day long observation, is going to continue. It also states that he have found evidence that ties all four into conspiracy against the Union and North Star Mining. Yet, there's no hint in to what evidence he found regarding that matter.

It is believed that Officer Yoon Min So died in an attempt to prevent the "Methane Gas accident" after further investigations. It is considered a possible plot against the Unions biggest supplier of Methane and North Star Minings biggest Methane mine in the solar System.

Further investigations unfortunately came to a stop in 2140 due to a lack of evidence and the already completed reconstruction of the colony leaving no further traces.

Officer Yoon posthumously should be recomended for the Terran Cross.

Last edited:

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
Jack O'Neil: A former TDC general and decorated career soldier.
(Passed IRL)

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Jack O'Neil: A former TDC general and decorated career soldier.
(Passed IRL)
You're supposed to give some elaborate special details or some kind of story to help promote the person you're pushing out there.

It's disrespectful and lazy to just toss out the names of the fallen without much accompanying it. Show them some respect and decency at least.

Tan

Taxpayer

Nov 7, 2017
Guns of the Conclave
You're supposed to give some elaborate special details or some kind of story to help promote the person you're pushing out there.

It's disrespectful and lazy to just toss out the names of the fallen without much accompanying it. Show them some respect and decency at least.
I don't think it's your place to suggest that Cadonez is being disrespectful here. You're a game writer, have some decency and stop acting like a child - do what you volunteered to do and write it yourself if you don't like what he's saying. This person actually died in real life, stop trying to stir the pot.

Spastique

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 30, 2017
Terran Defense Corps

There was absolutely nothing disrespectful or indecent about what Cadonez said, he's suggesting a tribute to a community member who passed away irl and was an esteemed member of community. If your problem is lack of the RP story to go with it, that's fine, but I feel your reaction is way out of place.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
I don't think it's your place to suggest that Cadonez is being disrespectful here. You're a game writer, have some decency and stop acting like a child - do what you volunteered to do and write it yourself if you don't like what he's saying. This person actually died in real life, stop trying to stir the pot.
There was absolutely nothing disrespectful or indecent about what Cadonez said, he's suggesting a tribute to a community member who passed away irl and was an esteemed member of community. If your problem is lack of the RP story to go with it, that's fine, but I feel your reaction is way out of place.
If you can't take the time and actually honor the memory of someone who passed away, you don't flaunt their name around. It's pretty plain and simple.

There are people interested in actually honoring our fallen friends and are working on tributes to them.

If you honestly believe I'm in the wrong for calling out someone who's posted two names now of people who've passed on, without giving them any decent tribute or effort in honoring them, that's fine. Not everyone has the same standards and that's ok.

Last edited:

Spastique

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 30, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
If you can't take the time and actually honor the memory of someone who passed away, you don't flaunt their name around. It's pretty plain and simple.

There are people interested in actually honoring our fallen friends and are working on tributes to them.

If you honestly believe I'm in the wrong for calling out someone who's posted two names now of people who've passed on, without giving them any decent tribute or effort in honoring them, that's fine. Not everyone has the same standards and that's ok.
Saying he's just flaunting their names around is a rather far-fetched and rude implication. Everyone has their own way of paying respects and what Cadonez did was just state his opinion on the necessity for tributes to these two people.
The fact he didn't write 5 massive paragraphs could just mean that perhaps he isn't really good at writing RP stories but would like to see someone with the required skill set honor the people in question.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate

I don’t understand your problem with me or my ideas. I’d just like two of my friends to be remembered in the next iteration of a game they enjoyed. Coming up with an elaborate backstory for two names that speak for themselves seems more like a staff writer opportunity, as I’m not familiar with MR lore. I’m sorry if you were offended, but please do not disrespect me again for attempting to do something for people I cared about.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Saying he's just flaunting their names around is a rather far-fetched and rude implication. Everyone has their own way of paying respects and what Cadonez did was just state his opinion on the necessity for tributes to these two people.
The fact he didn't write 5 massive paragraphs could just mean that perhaps he isn't really good at writing RP stories but would like to see someone with the required skill set honor the people in question.
Nobody will judge someone's writing skill in a tribute unless the tribute is obviously not sincere and meant to be disrespectful.

All I'm saying is, if I can write a silly short story based of an old fom ytmnd (before I was a game writer), then anyone should be able to write a tribute post, especially when the thread specifies such. The thread Lucki made for James is a good example of what you should at least do in these kind of situations.

All I'm asking is for people to follow the suggested theme recommended by the thread. If someone doesn't feel comfortable writing something, they're more than welcome to contact myself, @Chip Lawrie, or @RadishGamma for assistance. We'll be glad to help.

Tan

Taxpayer

Nov 7, 2017
Guns of the Conclave
Nobody will judge someone's writing skill in a tribute unless the tribute is obviously not sincere and meant to be disrespectful.

All I'm saying is, if I can write a silly short story based of an old fom ytmnd (before I was a game writer), then anyone should be able to write a tribute post, especially when the thread specifies such. The thread Lucki made for James is a good example of what you should at least do in these kind of situations.

All I'm asking is for people to follow the suggested theme recommended by the thread. If someone doesn't feel comfortable writing something, they're more than welcome to contact myself, @Chip Lawrie, or @RadishGamma for assistance. We'll be glad to help.
Maybe this derailing wouldn't have happened if instead of telling him he was being disrespectful and indecent, you wrote something similar to this in the first place and offered him your assistance as a -game writer-. Maybe your initial attitude is why he didn't come and contact you personally to write on this.

Anyway, enough derailing this thread. I think it's gone a bit far.

Spastique

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 30, 2017
Terran Defense Corps

I was about to reply but this post pretty much sums up what I had to say.

Maybe this derailing wouldn't have happened if instead of telling him he was being disrespectful and indecent, you wrote something similar to this in the first place and offered him your assistance as a -game writer-. Maybe your initial attitude is why he didn't come and contact you personally to write on this.

Anyway, enough derailing this thread. I think it's gone a bit far.

Reactions: Egroeg

IndridCold

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 1, 2017
Followers of Eternity
I don’t understand your problem with me or my ideas. I’d just like two of my friends to be remembered in the next iteration of a game they enjoyed. Coming up with an elaborate backstory for two names that speak for themselves seems more like a staff writer opportunity, as I’m not familiar with MR lore. I’m sorry if you were offended, but please do not disrespect me again for attempting to do something for people I cared about.
I think what Cadonez recommended is a good idea in a nutshell. Sure, throw in some fictional people, but it would be really cool to include FoM players who aren't with us anymore into canon. @Chip Lawrie would you be able to create stories for these two people, and would anyone else know of any other FoM players that passed that we could add?

Reactions: Cadonez

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
I think what Cadonez recommended is a good idea in a nutshell. Sure, throw in some fictional people, but it would be really cool to include FoM players who aren't with us anymore into canon. @Chip Lawrie would you be able to create stories for these two people, and would anyone else know of any other FoM players that passed that we could add?
I know a few fdc guys were wanting to get stuff put together for Jack and a few led for James. I haven't heard personally if anyone is working on one for Keltic yet.

Currently we're waiting for community input before doing it ourselves. I'd rather see a community collaborated effort for memorials rather than only writing from the game writers.

Reactions: Tan

IndridCold

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 1, 2017
Followers of Eternity
I know a few fdc guys were wanting to get stuff put together for Jack and a few led for James. I haven't heard personally if anyone is working on one for Keltic yet.

Currently we're waiting for community input before doing it ourselves. I'd rather see a community collaborated effort for memorials rather than only writing from the game writers.
This is good to hear. Seeing something come from the community as a whole just goes to show how much we care about each other.

Reactions: Shakespears

Grukan

Taxpayer

Jul 1, 2017
Jack O'Neill was a true Heroine of FDC. Would be nice to see her remembered.

Hesphos

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 6, 2017
North Star
Mining
We could also give these locations generic names and then change them after a character that is owned by a player when they did something great for the Union. Like solo a syndie zerg or finalized a peace conference I dunno.

It would give the location more meaning then just some made up story.

Reactions: Grukan and Egroeg