Hari Seldon

Advocate

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 17, 2017
Cloning
No Faction
Service Points: 0
Well maybe decals for the upper tier skull helmets. A Mempo sort of thing for OZ, Cornthian Helmet pattern for the CPC or TDC, Frog-mout for AE and so on.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
There won't be factional armor, I am open to the possibility of adding cosmetic armor mods that slightly modify the appearance and colors, so factional colors might be picked based on preference, but that will come later on after testing and community feedback, because it's a double edged sword
i meant in the sense of design, not neccesarily colors. (I.E) Cop armor looks like, a cyberpunk swat officer, while a (BoS) or (GoM substitute) looks more nefarious (hoods etc) with the same combat stats

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
The Syndicate
There won't be factional armor, I am open to the possibility of adding cosmetic armor mods that slightly modify the appearance and colors, so factional colors might be picked based on preference, but that will come later on after testing and community feedback, because it's a double edged sword
If this becomes a thing is it possible we could have community created content? ( Vetted of course) Sevral games have done this quite well such as Planetside 2, Pirates of the burning sea, etc where you could create decals/armor camo/etc and put it through a process to be vetted

Reactions: Shakespears

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
i meant in the sense of design, not neccesarily colors. (I.E) Cop armor looks like, a cyberpunk swat officer, while a (BoS) or (GoM substitute) looks more nefarious (hoods etc) with the same combat stats
That would be awesome, my main concern is to have a way for players to distinguish what armor type other players are using by just looking, so they can adjust what approach they'll use to fight. The power ranger armor worked in a sense because you could see what armor types he was using in every slot, even with different colors.

I really want some sort of factional armor looks later on, but at the same time this will break the gameplay balance, you won't be able to figure out if the other players is using general/energy/ballistic armor, I'll design something later on to see how we can combat that problem in the future

Safwan

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 1, 2017
Civil Protection Commission
If we don't have anything distinguishing between factions, how are we to determine who are our allies who aren't? We need some sort of identifiers. Arrows overhead were cancerous on screen, clutterfuck. I'd go for something very easily distinguishable. I like Cadonez idea on this. We need armors which goes with faction's RP. CPC armor needs to look primarily Police/SWAT/Paramilitary type armor. TDC needs to have military/army look to it and so on.

Also, if we don't get berets in this game i say we riot

Reactions: Viper and Jade Star

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
If we don't have anything distinguishing between factions, how are we to determine who are our allies who aren't? We need some sort of identifiers. Arrows overhead were cancerous on screen, clutterfuck. I'd go for something very easily distinguishable. I like Cadonez idea on this. We need armors which goes with faction's RP. CPC armor needs to look primarily Police/SWAT/Paramilitary type armor. TDC needs to have military/army look to it and so on.

Also, if we don't get berets in this game i say we riot
I'd say we can start with colored armor mods, you can place a mod on the production terminal after placing the production module to change its color and later on we will introduce faction specific armor mods that you can buy from your faction HQ

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
The Syndicate
I'd say we can start with colored armor mods, you can place a mod on the production terminal after placing the production module to change its color and later on we will introduce faction specific armor mods that you can buy from your faction HQ
Raid hq for color mods for confusion when

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
I do like the idea of that, especially if you can use any of the colors, even those typically associated to other factions. This would be a useful tool tactically to confuse enemies.

It would also be useful for departments and merc cells in order to be different from one another to give each more options for uniqueness. Mercs also could match their employer to avoid FF.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
It would also be useful for departments and merc cells in order to be different from one another to give each more options for uniqueness. Mercs also could match their employer to avoid FF.
While I'd never play mercs cause its hardmode and I suck at games I do want to see a merc cell decked out in really awful ugly colours like magenta, lilac and puce

Valiant

Dweller

Jun 9, 2017
Andromeda
No Faction
I'm fine with changes in design from Fom but be careful, these designs don't see, so memorable and kind of remind me of a lot of other sci-fi and cyberpunk games of this time, it's definitely a new 'phase' of the genre to have cool looking armor.

What I'd love to see if factions had their own aesthetics, the only one I can think of now ishow Overgrowth defined each race with their own materials or design.

It's looks very StTheo and Shimmering-Sword conception-wise they are really good artists whose sketches usually get used by other game companies (StTheo with Helldivers and SS with Blacklight) they might also be a good inspiration to look at.

Cammy

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
QA Volunteer
Jun 1, 2017
Scotland
Guns of the Conclave
i suggested the cape thing before, i.e very similar to what youd see on the red gaurd as in old star wars, but the idea was to be available only to like goverment/senate security personel so its not something overly used in the game, so its more of a luxury and distinguishes people apart.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
i suggested the cape thing before, i.e very similar to what youd see on the red gaurd as in old star wars, but the idea was to be available only to like goverment/senate security personel so its not something overly used in the game, so its more of a luxury and distinguishes people apart.
I'm sure there'll be ways for special people to be spiffy in their own ways.

Exclusives can be annoying unless there's something to balance it out for others.

Reactions: Chip Lawrie

Dapper Droid

Dweller

Sep 22, 2017
No Faction
These look like every other future military shooter. As silly as it was, the power ranger type armor we had in FoM was unique, clashed with the environment, and created a distinct silhouette.

There won't be factional armor,
Might as well play Fall of the Dominion then. Being able to distinguish each fraction from each other was key in FoM, both in player interactions and firefights. If you care at all about faction gameplay, you should rethink this. There's more to FoM then the wonky gunplay. And yes I know, you're not remaking FoM. But you are taking elements from it. Faction Armor is an important element.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Being able to distinguish each fraction from each other was key in FoM, both in player interactions and firefights. If you care at all about faction gameplay, you should rethink this. ...Faction Armor is an important element.
Faction armour took a lot away from both faction gameplay and the game as a whole and is ultimately what turned the game into a TDM.

In MR factions can put dyes into armour, and factional logos (in fact we're thinking of having faction exclusive dyes as per our semi-exclusive method) but they have the option of not doing it, factions can now have massive customisation options. Faction members can pretend to be in other factions either for stealth or misdirection. Cops can go undercover to bust drugs gangs. Drug dealers aren't automatically noticeable cause they're wearing bright red. Agencies personnel can go off duty and not be an obvious gank target and the world as whole focuses as much on the people and their stories as on the factions that they are apart of.

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
The Syndicate
Faction armour took a lot away from both faction gameplay and the game as a whole and is ultimately what turned the game into a TDM.

In MR factions can put dyes into armour, and factional logos (in fact we're thinking of having faction exclusive dyes as per our semi-exclusive method) but they have the option of not doing it, factions can now have massive customisation options. Faction members can pretend to be in other factions either for stealth or misdirection. Cops can go undercover to bust drugs gangs. Drug dealers aren't automatically noticeable cause they're wearing bright red. Agencies personnel can go off duty and not be an obvious gank target and the world as whole focuses as much on the people and their stories as on the factions that they are apart of.
In other words, live the fiction.

Dapper Droid

Dweller

Sep 22, 2017
No Faction
Faction members can pretend to be in other factions either for stealth or misdirection. Cops can go undercover to bust drugs gangs. Drug dealers aren't automatically noticeable cause they're wearing bright red
Which all sounds fantastic on paper, but FotD tried these things too, and failed. It confuses the playerbase. If you're going to have factions, they need to be easily distinguishable or there's no point in having them at all. You might as well just turn it into an allegiance system.

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
The Syndicate
Which all sounds fantastic on paper, but FotD tried these things too, and failed. It confuses the playerbase. If you're going to have factions, they need to be easily distinguishable or there's no point in having them at all. You might as well just turn it into an allegiance system.
I don't believe early FoM had power rangers. In other threads, it was said factions can make their armor a specific color too, so we can have power rangers when we need them.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
I feel like you don't really get the difference between an RPG and a TDM. The factions exist, compete, and possibly die not because of wearing different colours but because of the people in them and the actions of those people economically, politically and militarily. Corporate security forces probably should have a uniform of some sort - and I can promise you that the TDC and CPC will have them but I fail to see why forcing criminals to wear bright red enhances anyone's experience of the game. We don't even intend to force people to wear factional clothing (though factional clothes will ofc exist and I'm sure HCs for the agencies will sort out a uniform for them).

In MR (unlike FoM) the main differences in factions are playstyle based (with mechanics to actually back them up) rather than based on what colour power ranger you prefer. As an example of this Syndicate, MAG and FoE will be unable to take territory in the same way the Corps and Agencies can. Syndicate and FoE have various illicit ways of making money and MAG survives entirely off of contracts. These give significantly different playstyles and don't really require FoM style armour to do so. In fact for many of the Syndicate's income streams being covert will be of great use to them.

Also given the nature of the Syndicate and MAG having a single factional armour or uniform for them would be misleading and frankly rather dangerous.

Reactions: Winston