Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
115 6 0
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
I feel like you don't really get the difference between an RPG and a TDM. The factions exist, compete, and possibly die not because of wearing different colours but because of the people in them and the actions of those people economically, politically and militarily. Corporate security forces probably should have a uniform of some sort - and I can promise you that the TDC and CPC will have them but I fail to see why forcing criminals to wear bright red enhances anyone's experience of the game. We don't even intend to force people to wear factional clothing (though factional clothes will ofc exist and I'm sure HCs for the agencies will sort out a uniform for them).

In MR (unlike FoM) the main differences in factions are playstyle based (with mechanics to actually back them up) rather than based on what colour power ranger you prefer. As an example of this Syndicate, MAG and FoE will be unable to take territory in the same way the Corps and Agencies can. Syndicate and FoE have various illicit ways of making money and MAG survives entirely off of contracts. These give significantly different playstyles and don't really require FoM style armour to do so. In fact for many of the Syndicate's income streams being covert will be of great use to them.

Also given the nature of the Syndicate and MAG having a single factional armour or uniform for them would be misleading and frankly rather dangerous.
I think he's concerned about clusterfuck fights, where no one knows who is who. Also, what's to keep me from accidentally ganking my own faction when I'm on a ganking spree? Will there be away to see who is who? I don't want to gank friendlies. I guess it could give me good cover for "accidentally" ganking someone in my faction that I hate.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
323 5 0
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
I think he's concerned about clusterfuck fights, where no one knows who is who. Also, what's to keep me from accidentally ganking my own faction when I'm on a ganking spree? Will there be away to see who is who? I don't want to gank friendlies. I guess it could give me good cover for "accidentally" ganking someone in my faction that I hate.
You're always gonna know who is in your faction.

Otherwise, it comes down to remembering whatever it is your opponents use to mark themselves to each other, be it the addition of logos to their armour or always wearing a red shoulder pad.

There's also the option of allowing people to hack factional databases and share the info so that others in their faction can have those highlighted but we dunno how in depth we want to get with those at this time.

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
115 6 0

Otherwise, it comes down to remembering whatever it is your opponents use to mark themselves to each other, be it the addition of logos to their armour or always wearing a red shoulder pad.
Will there be a marker over them or something? If I'm ganking people with a sniper, will I see the name of who I am about to fire at and then have to check a faction list? Or will there be some indicator?

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Reactions
422 12 1

OH EM GEE, HOW CAN YOU GIVE PLAYERS THE CHOICE TO FIGURE OUT THEIR OWN CUSTOMIZED LOOK AND EXPECT THEM TO WORK TOGETHER TO BE UNIFORMED? YOU THINK THIS GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYER CONTROLLED OR SOMETHING? FOM WAS ABOUT RANK WHORING AND GANKING ONLY, KK?

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
323 5 0
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Will there be a marker over them or something? If I'm ganking people with a sniper, will I see the name of who I am about to fire at and then have to check a faction list? Or will there be some indicator?
Unknown at this time - we're willing to take suggestions though the marker thing seems a bit naff and immersion breaking IMO. My personal preference for this would be to have names highlighted with the faction they're in if you know it (i.e. they're in your faction or on your fl) whether this would be visible at sniper ranges I dunno but would be an interesting twist to using snipers - meaning you have to be damned sure of your target :D

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
115 6 0
Unknown at this time - we're willing to take suggestions though the marker thing seems a bit naff and immersion breaking IMO. My personal preference for this would be to have names highlighted with the faction they're in if you know it (i.e. they're in your faction or on your fl) whether this would be visible at sniper ranges I dunno but would be an interesting twist to using snipers - meaning you have to be damned sure of your target :D
yeah I don't want there to be a marker. Neither scenario sounds that great to be honest.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Reactions
422 12 1
yeah I don't want there to be a marker. Neither scenario sounds that great to be honest.
I've always preferred having nothing immersion breaking that displays who's who. Some futuristic hologram item that pops up on the HUD when close enough to "read an ID" isn't immersion breaking. Another option is IR stuff like modern militaries use to see others would be another route.

The key here is there needs to be a logical and lore friendly item(s) that can be equipped but not required. In CPC patrolled areas, it could be a crime to not have ID on hand for law enforcement purposes.

It could be like a DNA locked item that's given each time you go through cloning. You could collect other's ID(similar to a dog tag mentioned in the dog tag thread) but a scanner could tell the ID doesn't match the carriers DNA (undercover, spying, etc/ which we got a thread for). You'd give your security types in each faction the "special scanner" which would be expensive but dangerous not to have.

Congratulations, there's a simple solution to three discussed suggestions.

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Reactions
107 0 0
Terran Defense Corps
I feel like you don't really get the difference between an RPG and a TDM. The factions exist, compete, and possibly die not because of wearing different colours but because of the people in them and the actions of those people economically, politically and militarily. Corporate security forces probably should have a uniform of some sort - and I can promise you that the TDC and CPC will have them but I fail to see why forcing criminals to wear bright red enhances anyone's experience of the game. We don't even intend to force people to wear factional clothing (though factional clothes will ofc exist and I'm sure HCs for the agencies will sort out a uniform for them).

In MR (unlike FoM) the main differences in factions are playstyle based (with mechanics to actually back them up) rather than based on what colour power ranger you prefer. As an example of this Syndicate, MAG and FoE will be unable to take territory in the same way the Corps and Agencies can. Syndicate and FoE have various illicit ways of making money and MAG survives entirely off of contracts. These give significantly different playstyles and don't really require FoM style armour to do so. In fact for many of the Syndicate's income streams being covert will be of great use to them.

Also given the nature of the Syndicate and MAG having a single factional armour or uniform for them would be misleading and frankly rather dangerous.
While I agree that these faction shouldn't rely on territory control for income, I feel like it's wrong to take away a gameplay tool, even if that tool is rarely used. Might aswell keep it since it shouldn't take any more resources. If FoE feels like occupying a territory in protest, they should be allowed to do so.

Sep 22, 2017
Reactions
3 0 0
No Faction
I feel like you don't really get the difference between an RPG and a TDM. The factions exist, compete, and possibly die not because of wearing different colours but because of the people in them and the actions of those people economically, politically and militarily. Corporate security forces probably should have a uniform of some sort - and I can promise you that the TDC and CPC will have them but I fail to see why forcing criminals to wear bright red enhances anyone's experience of the game
I don't know what type of FoM you played, but I never attacked someone just because they belonged to a certain faction. Like you said, their actions dictated what you did. The fact remains, you still need to tell who is who if you're basing your game around factions. I never attacked an LED because he was LED, but I kew he was LED because of the armor he wore. No LED ever attacked me because I dressed like MOTB. I'm not telling you to copy and paste faction colors from FoM, but being able to easily distinguish them is important.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
318 11 0
Guns of the Conclave
I don't know what type of FoM you played, but I never attacked someone just because they belonged to a certain faction. Like you said, their actions dictated what you did. The fact remains, you still need to tell who is who if you're basing your game around factions. I never attacked an LED because he was LED, but I kew he was LED because of the armor he wore. No LED ever attacked me because I dressed like MOTB. I'm not telling you to copy and paste faction colors from FoM, but being able to easily distinguish them is important.
Chip just mentioned MR will have armor dyes, you can change the color of the armor you're producing by installing a mod on the production process, it will depend on factions to set their color/armor style. You'll have 45 armor pieces in total for now and over 10 planned colors, so do the math and that's how many options factions will have to their standard armor uniform and we're not adding in the clothing/accessories.

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Reactions
107 0 0
Terran Defense Corps
I always attacked LED, specificly because they were LED.

Cadonez

Advocate

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
Reactions
227 14 0
The Syndicate
In MR (unlike FoM) the main differences in factions are playstyle based (with mechanics to actually back them up) rather than based on what colour power ranger you prefer. As an example of this Syndicate, MAG and FoE will be unable to take territory in the same way the Corps and Agencies can.
What're you on about we cant take territory

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
115 6 0
OH EM GEE, HOW CAN YOU GIVE PLAYERS THE CHOICE TO FIGURE OUT THEIR OWN CUSTOMIZED LOOK AND EXPECT THEM TO WORK TOGETHER TO BE UNIFORMED? YOU THINK THIS GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYER CONTROLLED OR SOMETHING? FOM WAS ABOUT RANK WHORING AND GANKING ONLY, KK?
Well to be fair, that didn't exactly work in FOTD now did it?

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Reactions
422 12 1
Well to be fair, that didn't exactly work in FOTD now did it?
A fair and true observation. Problem with FOTD was there was no base line standards to build upon. If they limited the amount of factions, that might''ve helped. Also toss in the fact most of the game play was trash and the many poor implementations didn't help. Add in the low activity player base that was getting burned out and you got a recipe for disaster.

Sep 22, 2017
Reactions
3 0 0
No Faction
We understand that there were many factors that made FotD the heaping pile of shit it was, but no one knows exactly which factor was the largest. So seeing this new game follow a few of the steps FotD went, it just worries me a bit. I think we all share the opinion that we don't want this game just being FotD 2.0

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
318 11 0
Guns of the Conclave
We understand that there were many factors that made FotD the heaping pile of shit it was, but no one knows exactly which factor was the largest. So seeing this new game follow a few of the steps FotD went, it just worries me a bit. I think we all share the opinion that we don't want this game just being FotD 2.0
I'm an actual game developer that has worked on multiple UE4 titles, MR will be good, detach MR from FOM, wait till you actually see the game in action before thinking that ideas won't work because they didn't in fom, UE4 is magical :).

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
Reactions
115 6 0
I'm an actual game developer that has worked on multiple UE4 titles, MR will be good, detach MR from FOM, wait till you actually see the game in action before thinking that ideas won't work because they didn't in fom, UE4 is magical :).
So could department specific colors/uniforms be possible in MR? That would be dope