Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
Necidious post_id=829 time=1497872792 user_id=53 said:
Shakespears post_id=795 time=1497831744 user_id=153 said:
Second question in the same regards, will people all start out factionless so to speak or can they be auto-placed in a faction at the start?
All players will start off as a Citizen of Terran, which is basically the civilian "faction" and their rank within society. Players would have to complete a basic tutorial of how Mankind Reborn exactly works after which they receive the option to affiliate themselves with one of the factions OR choose the remain solo.
Glad to hear they can't just plop into a faction instantly only to have zero clue of anything going on. I know FoM always had a tough welcoming to new players but hopefully this time around there'll be a better cushion to them to land on first. Rather than gank city or raging faction members of course.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Shakespears post_id=831 time=1497874728 user_id=153 said:
Shakespears post_id=795 time=1497831744 user_id=153 said:
Second question in the same regards, will people all start out factionless so to speak or can they be auto-placed in a faction at the start?
All players will start off as a Citizen of Terran, which is basically the civilian "faction" and their rank within society. Players would have to complete a basic tutorial of how Mankind Reborn exactly works after which they receive the option to affiliate themselves with one of the factions OR choose the remain solo.
Glad to hear they can't just plop into a faction instantly only to have zero clue of anything going on. I know FoM always had a tough welcoming to new players but hopefully this time around there'll be a better cushion to them to land on first. Rather than gank city or raging faction members of course.
We're looking at sending them through a (hopefully good) tutorial before before dumping having a choice of which faction to join (with a choice to 'go it alone' covered in y'all really don't want to do that warnings.)

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
[quote="Chip Lawrie" post_id=921 time=1498039317 user_id=57]
Shakespears post_id=831 time=1497874728 user_id=153 said:
We're looking at sending them through a (hopefully good) tutorial before before dumping having a choice of which faction to join (with a choice to 'go it alone' covered in y'all really don't want to do that warnings.)
[/quote]

There better be a starship troopers like informational video to encourage new players to join the military. It would be such a shame to pass that opportunity up. Would you like to know more?

Mermer

Dweller

Supporting Donator
Jun 4, 2017
No Faction
One thing I would change would be labeling the followers of eternity as anarchists. Say what you will about their carebear lifestyle GoM actually played a pretty important role in FoM life. They could act as intermediaries, judges and guarantors. I'd sometimes use them as escrow to avoid positing contracts and the Auralian FTZ was surprisingly consistent. If by anarchist you just mean anti-governemnt thats all well and good but I think its important to have a faction that the player base can reliably see as "the good guys" at least on the face of things.

Reactions: Bob Dobbs

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Mermer post_id=928 time=1498048917 user_id=104 said:
One thing I would change would be labeling the followers of eternity as anarchists. Say what you will about their carebear lifestyle GoM actually played a pretty important role in FoM life. They could act as intermediaries, judges and guarantors. I'd sometimes use them as escrow to avoid positing contracts and the Auralian FTZ was surprisingly consistent. If by anarchist you just mean anti-governemnt thats all well and good but I think its important to have a faction that the player base can reliably see as "the good guys" at least on the face of things.
It's a pretty valid point you're making but the issue with a "good guy" faction is that they'll get targeted for it. At least with the whole anarchist bit, they'll fall more in a grey area on intentions against other factions rather than be set as opposing ideals to most at the start.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
One thing I would change would be labeling the followers of eternity as anarchists. Say what you will about their carebear lifestyle GoM actually played a pretty important role in FoM life.
FoE are not GoM - atm they're a loose coalition of antifas, sovereign citizens, anarchists and people who thought "firestarter" was revolutionary artistic music.

This may change but they're not really GoM and having a "good-guy" faction just doesn't fit the cyberpunk theme where grey morality is the key

Reactions: Fall of Denial

Sir Blood Buske

Dilettante

Jun 1, 2017
No one is good.. no one is bad.. so we can't say who is the criminal faction everyone is their own person.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Didn't think of this before but if the government is non playable, does that mean no sort of senate or elected officials?

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
Shakespears post_id=933 time=1498070988 user_id=153 said:
Didn't think of this before but if the government is non playable, does that mean no sort of senate or elected officials?
No.

Government officials will appear as if they are in no faction, but they do show their government rank. It would look like this:

[align=center]
[/align]

If, say, a player was a government official, Citizen of Terran would change to the player's rank within the government.

Wynand

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
Followers of Eternity
Haven't been able to find a game that allowed this distinct play-style that being a GoM entailed. Not necessarily about being a "good-guy" but offering something besides the standard "enemy bad shoot" but offering more layers with politics and valuing diplomacy. Don't forget about all the DMC protests either or the large Titan raids!

Tod Maddux

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
Wynand post_id=1551 time=1498840031 user_id=242 said:
Haven't been able to find a game that allowed this distinct play-style that being a GoM entailed. Not necessarily about being a "good-guy" but offering something besides the standard "enemy bad shoot" but offering more layers with politics and valuing diplomacy. Don't forget about all the DMC protests either or the large Titan raids!
making XLs was a playstyle?

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
FoE are not GoM - atm they're a loose coalition of antifas, sovereign citizens, anarchists and people who thought "firestarter" was revolutionary artistic music.

Reactions: Shakespears

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
[quote="Tod Maddux" post_id=1553 time=1498840781 user_id=241]
making XLs was a playstyle?
[/quote]

As was turret recycling too they say