Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
The talk of vehicles, just transport vehicles or will they be armed?

SnowDubz

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Aug 21, 2017
The Syndicate
Super excited boys, keep up the good work! Hope Bio is staying safe in the hurricanes.

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
The Syndicate
Stop breaking my immersion that planet has no atmosphere yet you are breathing without a helmet.

Any chance we can have modules that don't delete themselves but cost far more in material and money to produce?

Other then that looks good

Safwan

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 1, 2017
I love how the Aurora looks. By alien world, do we mean that we'll have AI alien there like we had on Necars? The road-map looks solid to me. Not sure about eco as I never eco'd on FoM so i'll let more experienced ecoers chime in about the whole schematics marketplace. I guess it's good, from what I remember of FoTD, the faction that owned schematics marketplace had insane advantage over those who didn't. schematics was insane income.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
I love how the Aurora looks. By alien world, do we mean that we'll have AI alien there like we had on Necars? The road-map looks solid to me. Not sure about eco as I never eco'd on FoM so i'll let more experienced ecoers chime in about the whole schematics marketplace. I guess it's good, from what I remember of FoTD, the faction that owned schematics marketplace had insane advantage over those who didn't. schematics was insane income.
You can think of Aurora as our Necars, yes.

Reactions: Safwan

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
It is also important to note that players will not be able to drag items from their storage onto the production window. This is done to maintain a certain level of risk whilst producing.
I just want to remind you how awefull it was having to slow walk to the production terminals every time you had to produce anything. I do understand that you want there to be risk involved with ecoing. But hopefully you won't go the exact same route that FoTD did, which was proven to be boring without actually having much risk involved.

Here are some other ideas then having to slow walk with minerals:
Production storage that is hackable to siphon out the materials - this require factions to protect production areas, but without having ninjas being able to get all resources in a fast hit and run.

No instant storage transportation - people would have to transport goods by hand / vehicle from colony to colony, making it safer for factions to form caravan expeditions - this would also require that players would be able to move large quantities of materials so these caravans only had to be done a couple of times a week. (like trading systems from BDO/SRO/AA)

This was just quickly some ideas from the top of my head, surely with some more thought a better system can be made, then awkwardly slow walk 50 minerals a couple of meters at a time.

PS: again you didn't give much detail on the full design, so I had to make some assumptions, feel free to expand on your original post.

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Let's move on — next up the board would be our new production system. We decided to go with a schematic-based system, similar to what Fall of the Dominion had. This means players would have to buy a module or in this case, schematic, in order to produce an item. The money spent on the module will be automatically deleted from the economy. It is also important to note that factions cannot own these services. Each faction HQ will have a production module market terminal where they can purchase faction-specific modules — in return, everyone will be able to "raid" or "attack" a faction HQ and steal the aforementioned modules. This means no faction will be hard-coded to be the sole producers of a specific item.
I'm assuming schematics will be a huge money sink. I know this will depend on the specific values, but with the quantity of items needed in a game like this, I don't see any other outcome then being a huge money sink. I would guess it's so big that people would have to spend a lot of time on activities that introduces money into the system, may it be alien hunting, speak with boring ass NPC #42 or which ever method you have in line.
This does have me worried, as I liked how income was distributed from the faction and out to its members. Meaning that players would spent their time on what the faction wanted/was supposed to do rather then hunting aliens on Necars field.

I know that the schematics market income was the biggest sinner in the flawed FoTD economy. But maybe you should think about a way to reintroduce some of the money back into the economy.

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
The Syndicate
I'm assuming schematics will be a huge money sink. I know this will depend on the specific values, but with the quantity of items needed in a game like this, I don't see any other outcome then being a huge money sink. I would guess it's so big that people would have to spend a lot of time on activities that introduces money into the system, may it be alien hunting, speak with boring ass NPC #42 or which ever method you have in line.
This does have me worried, as I liked how income was distributed from the faction and out to its members. Meaning that players would spent their time on what the faction wanted/was supposed to do rather then hunting aliens on Necars field.

I know that the schematics market income was the biggest sinner in the flawed FoTD economy. But maybe you should think about a way to reintroduce some of the money back into the economy.
You could always have the factions pay out X amount to each of their members dependent upon rank.

So it would be Colony ownership taxes > Faction > People > Markets/production/etc > market/etc/production tax > Rinse repeat

Of course, that could cause problems with people like me who intend to gtfo and never join a faction. While you want to remove money from the game you don't want to remove a lot of it at one time . A good ratio i have seen in other games is a 3/1 or 2/1 raito

IE 2 or 3 Pumps and for each pump you have 1 sink. I personaly think 2/1 is better but that would have to be tested in alpha testing to see what works for MR

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
You could always have the factions pay out X amount to each of their members dependent upon rank.

So it would be Colony ownership taxes > Faction > People > Markets/production/etc > market/etc/production tax > Rinse repeat

Of course, that could cause problems with people like me who intend to gtfo and never join a faction. While you want to remove money from the game you don't want to remove a lot of it at one time . A good ratio i have seen in other games is a 3/1 or 2/1 raito

IE 2 or 3 Pumps and for each pump you have 1 sink. I personaly think 2/1 is better but that would have to be tested in alpha testing to see what works for MR
I feel like a 50% money sink is way to high, sure it works for MMOs where the main content is PVE, and you need big money sinks to counter the rewards needed for keeping players engaged in PVE content. Hopefully that is not the route MR will be taking.

(50% of all transactions)

Reactions: Shakespears

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
I feel like a 50% money sink is way to high, sure it works for MMOs where the main content is PVE, and you need big money sinks to counter the rewards needed for keeping players engaged in PVE content. Hopefully that is not the route MR will be taking.

Valid points right there.

Money sinks need to be less stressed towards new players and actually aimed more towards well established players. Basically it should be set up with incentives towards not hoarding or just stacking money like crazy. Perhaps a very expensive colony production upgrade that speeds up the process for a week or so. Another potential avenue of a similar nature could be to "rent" some sort of machinery that would make more resources yield(basically you pay tons of money to make more resource nodes appear on a colony for a week). Establishing things like the fore mentioned items will provide incentives for players to pool money together for extra efficiency and requires a lot of player activity to make use of the bonus. If only a few players are involved, they really couldn't make their money's worth back. This would also boost player activity during the bonus times like how 2x xp works in other games.

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
The Syndicate

I didn't say anything about 50%tax I said for every 2 systems putting money into the game you have 1 sink

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
I didn't say anything about 50%tax I said for every 2 systems putting money into the game you have 1 sink
That would just cause inflation, Ideally you would want as much money to leave the economy as enters it. Given that there's already an acceptable amount of capital in play. You would ofcourse need to introduce more money into the economy as players join the game.

What I'm pointing out is that it seems like they are planning on having a big part of the gameplay about introducing money into the economy given that they want to introduce a seemingly big money sink. Which in turn would likely mean more time spent on 'quests', killing NPCs and other income generating activities rather then interacting with other players.
The actual numbers behind the scene and where and how they are mechanized, is to early for me to comment on, since u would need the full picture of the game and design.