Do Not Go With Gamesparks Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sammy West

Dweller

Apr 22, 2019
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
I have been working with a indie developer off and on for a year giving design advice and helping with the community. Out of the performance issues i've seen, gamesparks will throttle you, they will kill your cpu power usage, and generally make your game unplayable. This is something you should seriously Consider avoiding as I've seen how they treat developers on there tiers. Also, a licence for a dedicated server is around 300$ a month from the research I've done for this particular dev. This is just comming out of there standard packages. I remember also a game called the repopulation. They went with a game engine that did some similar pricings for server hosting and maintenance. The repopulation ended up getting basically seized and was a situation of a hostile take over. I'm afraid that gamesparks may do something similar to any developers that try to make games that feel there exorbant dedicated server prices are too high. Also, while they may make a simple framework, it holds your code hostage. You have to use there framework, or go out of the way to create your own. I'm trying to save you alot of potential entrapment by telling you guys, you should look for alternatives.

BÅĒTA

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 17, 2017
The Syndicate
I have been working with a indie developer off and on for a year giving design advice and helping with the community. Out of the performance issues i've seen, gamesparks will throttle you, they will kill your cpu power usage, and generally make your game unplayable. This is something you should seriously Consider avoiding as I've seen how they treat developers on there tiers. Also, a licence for a dedicated server is around 300$ a month from the research I've done for this particular dev. This is just comming out of there standard packages. I remember also a game called the repopulation. They went with a game engine that did some similar pricings for server hosting and maintenance. The repopulation ended up getting basically seized and was a situation of a hostile take over. I'm afraid that gamesparks may do something similar to any developers that try to make games that feel there exorbant dedicated server prices are too high. Also, while they may make a simple framework, it holds your code hostage. You have to use there framework, or go out of the way to create your own. I'm trying to save you alot of potential entrapment by telling you guys, you should look for alternatives.
Good on you for speaking out, They Repopulation was put through a lot because of that whole situation and more. Problems are easy to point out but solutions usually aren’t. The alternatives they laid out have issues to go with them. What are your thoughts for an alternative?

Sammy West

Dweller

Apr 22, 2019
I think usurvival would be one great framework for them. They could easily make there own code for factions, clans, and other situations they would need. Usurvival also has networking, and crafting systems which this team could easily build upon using prefabs for fully placeable homes, as well as basic modular building which they could refine at there leasure. They already have alot of the code from the old days i assume, and if they are adept at programming, the unity api key Is fairly easy to work with. The best thing about unity is you can pay a monthly support package if you want support, or purchace a game license out right. The other best thing is, they are good at creating server, and client based objects that you can host on windows, or linux. I've worked with basic server stuff, and omg it is awesome. The only little issue is, if you want to do database applications for the game, you'll need to learn a bit of json. Out side of that, everything can pretty well be done by c# which is very easy to learn. I find unreals visual script combersome coming from a intermediate programmers perspective.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
Yes we're completely aware of that but sadly we're stuck with them in the time being, our alternatives are Epic's Online Services or Playfab, which we'll be exploring during May. I wanted to honor our donator's playtest, so I just did some workarounds for the current playtest session using GS and we had to bump the price to $35 to cover for the $300/m Standard tier pricing.

Sammy West

Dweller

Apr 22, 2019
Also i wanted to apply as a QT tester, but the link to the application form couldn't be found.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
If you read this, you would know we're already exploring better alternatives. o_O

Sammy West

Dweller

Apr 22, 2019
Am i not allowed to be an opponent of gamesparks? Am i not allowed to post my views on something i have experience with?

Litheius

Game Artist

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Audio Department
Alpha Tester
Jan 27, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Sammy, that's not what they're saying. They're simply saying thanks, but they're all over it re: Gamesparks. I'm sure your post is reinforcing their decision and i'm sure they're happy to have your insight.

Reactions: Viper and Necidious

Kuuwahi

Dilettante

Feb 27, 2018
Union City Lower
Followers of Eternity
Thank you for clarifying. I would hate for there to be a petty misunderstanding :D
Oh not at all, we would like to assure you that we are well aware of GameSparks and the controversy surrounding them, as pointed out by Necidious we address the situation Here.

To summarise everything, Bioxide had already invested a great deal of time investing into GameSparks prior to their payment switch. And as we had already promised the donators access to the planned testing session it wouldn't be fair on them if we just denied that.

As stated by Bioxide we are already looking at other solutions and Epic Games Online Services are one of them, however this service isn't available until May, so for the moment it's just a waiting game.

Again, we thank you and do appreciate your feedback. :cool:

Sammy West

Dweller

Apr 22, 2019
I do have to say if you want to do it right, do it your self. Self hosting and creating a viable server based game is quite easy through unity. They have many frameworks for it and is alot more friendly royalty speaking, as well as distribution speaking. Unreal is more for someone whos trying to be a AAA style game. Unity is more for the lone dev, which I believe would be best suited to this particular groups needs. However, his software his decisions.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
I do have to say if you want to do it right, do it your self.
Hell yeah!

Self hosting and creating a viable server based game is quite easy through unity. They have many frameworks for it and is alot more friendly royalty speaking, as well as distribution speaking.
I respectfully disagree. While we appreciate your thoughts on the matter, we are determined to work with the toolset we are most proficient in and that's C++ / Unreal Engine 4. We are definitely not changing our game engine, that's completely off the table.

Your thought that Unity supposedly offers a lot more generous royalties is also inaccurate— it's roughly identical, actually, but Unity charges monthly licensing fees (if above 100k income) whereas UE4 remains completely free (5% royalty if above $12,000 income annually which goes away if you launch your game on the Epic Games Store), plus we receive access to the source code of Unreal Engine; allowing us to freely customize or upgrade the powerful game engine. Anyway, I'm drifting off a bit, but you get the idea I'm trying to get across.

All that being said, though, let's not turn this into a "which game engine beats the other" discussion; both are excellent tools— but we simply favor UE4 over Unity for a variety of reasons.

Unreal is more for someone whos trying to be a AAA style game. Unity is more for the lone dev, which I believe would be best suited to this particular groups needs.
Again, I respectfully disagree with that statement. :p

Last edited:

Banjo

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Godot is clearly the superior engine. Please spent a year or 2 porting it to Godot.