Citizen

Contributor
Jul 23, 2018
Reactions
17 0 0
Avalon
Enterprises
Service Points: 0
Since you're making the game on UE4 this is something you might want to keep in mind.

They are trying to set themselves up as steam competitors, but you know it might just crash and burn.
Guessing you have lots of time to see if this thing takes off at all. Seems more lucrative if it actually does.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Reactions
527 11 2
No Faction
Service Points: 2400
We are very much aware of the advantages of releasing the game on the Epic Games Store. We are planning to investigate it further at a later date.

Skiy

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 12, 2017
Reactions
64 0 0
The Syndicate
Service Points: 2
While it's good and all, can ya do both though, Steam and Epic? Plenty of people I know don't want to download another store/library and if Steam ends up being out, what's the chances of being able to download direct from the site?

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
360 21 0
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
While it's good and all, can ya do both though, Steam and Epic? Plenty of people I know don't want to download another store/library and if Steam ends up being out, what's the chances of being able to download direct from the site?
If the Epic launcher provides all the features from Steam then we'll be just using the Epic launcher, sadly, the chances to download the game through the website are slim to none.

Cammy

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
QA Volunteer
Jun 1, 2017
Scotland
Reactions
50 0 0
Guns of the Conclave
I do like the choice of being able to choose how to launch the game via 2 different launcher/companys as Skiy mentions

Personally i like steam - but steam does also have some drawbacks when it comes to multi-clients, or using more than 1 PC in your home to play 1 game (i,e alts or even family/friends)

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
360 21 0
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
I do like the choice of being able to choose how to launch the game via 2 different launcher/companys as Skiy mentions

Personally i like steam - but steam does also have some drawbacks when it comes to multi-clients, or using more than 1 PC in your home to play 1 game (i,e alts or even family/friends)
As a gamer I completely understand the issue with multiple clients, but when you look at it from a business perspective it makes sense to try and cut costs wherever possible, especially as a small indie team (Just one programmer/developer who wears multiple hats and 2 level designers that work on their free time during the weekends).

If we release on Steam, we have to pay 35% royalties (30% to Steam and 5% to Epic Games), after those royalties have been paid, then comes:
- Additional services, in our case, would be GameSparks & SpatialOS
- Contractors (We're currently paying two contractors, which is coming out of my own pockets and not the donation pool)
- Possibly some other misc costs such as our perforce, website, forums, etc

And after all that, then we have to split what's remaining between whoever is going to get royalties off the game.

If this was a regular multiplayer game it wouldn't be an issue, but it's an MMO and every penny counts, the less we have to pay, the more we can invest into the game to provide a better service and more content.

We're still years away from release, so things might change, we'll make sure to update you guys on which platform we'll stick to.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Reactions
436 13 1
Civil Protection Commission
As a gamer I completely understand the issue with multiple clients, but when you look at it from a business perspective it makes sense to try and cut costs wherever possible, especially as a small indie team (Just one programmer/developer who wears multiple hats and 2 level designers that work on their free time during the weekends).
RIP Story, Art, Web, Game Design, and Community Teams

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018
Reactions
3 0 0
Followers of Eternity
If we release on Steam, we have to pay 35% royalties (30% to Steam and 5% to Epic Games), after those royalties have been paid, then comes:
- Additional services, in our case, would be GameSparks & SpatialOS
- Contractors (We're currently paying two contractors, which is coming out of my own pockets and not the donation pool)
- Possibly some other misc costs such as our perforce, website, forums, etc

And after all that, then we have to split what's remaining between whoever is going to get royalties off the game.
Yeah I would only worry about one platform to publish for now. I would suggest the new Epic Games launcher if it requires smaller royalties. If published on Epic, it might get more of a chance to be seen by people as well since it will not be as packed with games as Steam. It will not be as much of a chore for people to add yet another game launcher as Epic is supposedly making games free in their platform. Subnautica and Super Meat Boy will be free!

Hari Seldon

Advocate

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 17, 2017
Cloning
Reactions
132 2 0
No Faction
By the time MR is ready the platform fight will most likely have reached a stable state, Epic seems to be making an honest go of it (unlike EAs attempt to obscure their costing) so will very probably gain decent traction even outside the Fortnight players that might already outnumber Steam Users anyway.

Hopefully come that hour someone will have done some decent market analysis on if offering your game only on the better for dev platform pays off against overcome user adoption. While every copy sold with Epic might end up with more of the sale in your hands, Halo has lost 100% of the PlayStation copies it might have sold. Not a direct parallel sure given digital games platforms are free for the user but even people who have two current gen consoles show a strong tendency to favor one.

You could also mark up a Steam release to cover the platform costs.

Hesphos

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 6, 2017
Reactions
84 2 0
North Star Mining
I'm not sure how the steam store works but could it be possible to sell the initial waves of copies from this platform and then when you launch on the steam store you close sales here on the website and give everyone with an existing copy a steam key?

Then at least you dont have to do much revenue sharing as the core starting group of players would have bought it directly from the Studio.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Reactions
527 11 2
No Faction
I'm not sure how the steam store works but could it be possible to sell the initial waves of copies from this platform and then when you launch on the steam store you close sales here on the website and give everyone with an existing copy a steam key?

Then at least you dont have to do much revenue sharing as the core starting group of players would have bought it directly from the Studio.
The fact we are developing on Unreal Engine 4 makes the Epic Games Store extremely appealing to us, as an indie game development studio, as it also retracts the 5% fee Epic Games issued on us. Essentially, it would give us a total of 88% revenue split compared to Steam's 65%, which we could then reinvest into Mankind Reborn. Not to mention the potentially increased chances of being offered a partnership grant which Epic Games regularly give out to developers.

We will wait and see how the Epic Games Store will turn out in the upcoming year or so. But chances are, we will release on their platform instead if it does turn out to be successful.

Spark

Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 6, 2018
Islamabad
Reactions
65 3 2
Civil Protection Commission
But chances are, we will release on their platform instead if it does turn out to be successful.
Why not both?? Is the deal on epic store exclusive? If it is don't join the dead games in there.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Reactions
527 11 2
No Faction
Why not both?? Is the deal on epic store exclusive? If it is don't join the dead games in there.
If it turns out to be successful like I mentioned earlier, there wouldn't be any dead games on there, now would there? :p

You won't be getting the revenue benefits if you are not offering Epic Games exclusivity if I understand correctly.

Last edited:

Hesphos

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 6, 2017
Reactions
84 2 0
North Star Mining
The fact we are developing on Unreal Engine 4 makes the Epic Games Store extremely appealing to us, as an indie game development studio, as it also retracts the 5% fee Epic Games issued on us. Essentially, it would give us a total of 88% revenue split compared to Steam's 65%, which we could then reinvest into Mankind Reborn. Not to mention the potentially increased chances of being offered a partnership grant which Epic Games regularly give out to developers.

We will wait and see how the Epic Games Store will turn out in the upcoming year or so. But chances are, we will release on their platform instead if it does turn out to be successful.
Yeah, one of the reasons why another developer called Coffee Stain signed a 12 month exclusive with the Epic store for their upcoming game ''Satisfactory'', a multiplayer factory game. They received a grant to continue development.

As a user I want to see the product on steam due to the increased playerbase and ease of access.

However as a developer other factors need to be calculated if you want your product to be successful.

I guess more research has to be done until a solution can be found that supports the players, viability and the $$$ aspects.

(I myself hope the Epic store and others like it become more of a success because as it stands the amount of money steam takes in its cut is borderline criminal)