Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
Reactions
261 20 0
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
With a lot of discussion around making rank 3 relevant and the faction chat being worked on, I was thinking the color scheme for faction chat should be
R0-2: the standard yellow
R3-4: the light green
R5-6: the real
R7: different color, maybe unique to each faction i.e silver for AE, blue for cpc

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
372 22 1
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
With a lot of discussion around making rank 3 relevant and the faction chat being worked on, I was thinking the color scheme for faction chat should be
R7: different color, maybe unique to each faction i.e silver for AE, blue for cpc
I like this idea, I'm currently working on a new chat system and I'll be adding this, by the real you mean cyan?

Spark

Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 6, 2018
Islamabad
Reactions
66 3 2
Civil Protection Commission
Soo NSM R7 is a random R0. Makes sense

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Reactions
550 11 2
No Faction
Service Points: 2400
I'm not a fan of the unique chat colors for faction leaders. As Spark mentioned above, it will lead to some weird situations. Just a fixed color for all faction leaders would be better, in my opinion.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
Reactions
261 20 0
The Syndicate
I like this idea, I'm currently working on a new chat system and I'll be adding this, by the real you mean cyan?
I’m not an interior designer so I don’t know what it’s called, but the bright blue yes

BÅĒTA

Taxpayer

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 17, 2017
Reactions
12 1 0
The Syndicate
Like the idea, try making sure the chats don’t share similar colors so there is easy distinctions. This sounds obvious but I still see it now and then, making a faction light blue then making local another chat some other shade of blue.

Spark

Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 6, 2018
Islamabad
Reactions
66 3 2
I'm not a fan of the unique chat colors for faction leaders. As Spark mentioned above, it will lead to some weird situations. Just a fixed color for all faction leaders would be better, in my opinion.
Rep me u baddie

Ranfre

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 15, 2018
Seattle
Reactions
8 1 0
Avalon
Enterprises
I always hated the different colors in FoM. Could never remember what each meant.
What would be better is a rank indicator next to the name. Do factions have rank badges like FoM did? If so then just display those in chat after the name. Shit, allow us to enable them in general chat if we want them there too. If no badges then some other kind of indicator, but No COLORS

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
351 8 1
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Rank colours in text are great because they easily allow people to see the relative ‘worth’ of who’s speaking - in FoM we all knew blue outranked green outranked yellow and we all knew that when a blue text told ya to do something it was probably in your best interest to do it.

Now I wouldn’t copy FoMs colours (if only because vomit green and cyan are not on my list of ascetically pleasing colours) but I think they’re worthwhile. I think the colours should go R0 (so the faction can identify a newbie) R1-R2, R3-R4, R5-R6, R7. Now what these colours should be is up to debate (and will probably depend on our final UI)

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Reactions
133 1 0
Terran Defense Corps
Rank colours in text are great because they easily allow people to see the relative ‘worth’ of who’s speaking - in FoM we all knew blue outranked green outranked yellow and we all knew that when a blue text told ya to do something it was probably in your best interest to do it.

Now I wouldn’t copy FoMs colours (if only because vomit green and cyan are not on my list of ascetically pleasing colours) but I think they’re worthwhile. I think the colours should go R0 (so the faction can identify a newbie) R1-R2, R3-R4, R5-R6, R7. Now what these colours should be is up to debate (and will probably depend on our final UI)
Having 5 colour groups is to much. Faction chat would just become a messy mess of rainbow colors devaluing the colouring system.

Spastique

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 30, 2017
Reactions
614 33 3
Terran Defense Corps
I always hated the different colors in FoM. Could never remember what each meant.
What would be better is a rank indicator next to the name. Do factions have rank badges like FoM did? If so then just display those in chat after the name. Shit, allow us to enable them in general chat if we want them there too. If no badges then some other kind of indicator, but No COLORS
I can't speak for the rest but i never really knew what the rank badges looked like, nor bothered with them.
Idk what kind of different system you had in mind for this, but i feel chat colours are more effective way to distinct ranks, especially in combat situations.

Having 5 colour groups is to much. Faction chat would just become a messy mess of rainbow colors devaluing the colouring system.
I agree, should have at max 3 diff colours in chat, R0-R2, R3-R5, and maybe R6 and R7 with slight distinction. Or something along those lines, whatever we had in FoM worked as far as i can recall.
But also can we have pink

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
351 8 1
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
I’d match R5 and R6 colour wise so colours match levels of responsibility - I suspect part of the reason R5s became senior R4s in FoM is because they shared text colours.

As for the colourblind it’s an interesting point, colourblindness affects around 5% of the population (8% if we look at just men) so it is something to think about when designing - however there are colour combinations that are better for the colour blind than others. Not to mention that I’m of the opinion that the disability of the minority shouldn’t overly effect the gameplay of the majority.

This sounds harsh but at what point should we stop? Indicators for the 19% of people who suffer some form of hearing loss so they don’t lose out when people approach them from not visible angles? Would help more people than anything designed for the colourblind.

As for rank/faction badges we intend to have a more logical version than FoM we also intend for them to be able to be toggled on and off (especially important for the more covert factions like Synd).

Hari Seldon

Advocate

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 17, 2017
Cloning
Reactions
132 2 0
No Faction
Seems best to split it down the lines of:

R0 for the uninitiated
R5-R7
Everyone else

For actual organisational purposes the medium ranks need only really be known to the people who are their direct reports who presumably should already know who their [sub-unit of faction] leader is though possibly having the option for HC to adjust this system to a limited degree would be nice to allow them to add some variation to how they display their desired devolution of relevant pan-factional authority.

John White

Dilettante

Contributor
Jul 23, 2018
Reactions
21 1 0
Avalon
Enterprises
I say let the R7 choose them.
R7 can choose colours for all ranks.
Players on their end can choose for chat to display colours or rank next to the name.
By default let it be colours.
Choice is good.

PS. Couldn't remember colours in FOM?! it was 3 colours, wtf?!

As for rank/faction badges we intend to have a more logical version than FoM we also intend for them to be able to be toggled on and off (especially important for the more covert factions like Synd).
Will there be a civilian faction then? Cause otherwise if one doesn't see a badge they know badgless is up to something.
Even if there is a civilian faction, it will lead to newbies who haven't joined faction being searched and discriminated against for no reason. Wouldn't ability to switch one's badge to another factions that you are infiltrating be a better choice?

Spark

Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 6, 2018
Islamabad
Reactions
66 3 2
I say let the R7 choose them.
R7 can choose colours for all ranks.
Players on their end can choose for chat to display colours or rank next to the name.
By default let it be colours.
Choice is good.
That would just confuse new players who switch factions. Make a standard and let's be done with it.

Tornadium

Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 1, 2017
Reactions
38 0 0
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 5
Rainbow chat is a horrible idea.

I personally prefer rank indicators in the chat window over different text colours. No reason to not have both I suppose though. At least make it non-garish.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
372 22 1
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
I'll probably add rank + colors, the specific colors will be iterated on, I'll start with some colors that fit with the rest of the UI and then adjust based on feedback from the community.

[Name][Rank]:[Message]

Spark

Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 6, 2018
Islamabad
Reactions
66 3 2
I'll probably add rank + colors, the specific colors will be iterated on, I'll start with some colors that fit with the rest of the UI and then adjust based on feedback from the community.

[Name][Rank]:[Message]
It should be rank then name u baddie otherwise u get Spark private and not private spark