Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
Hey,

I have prioritized factional content over other tasks in the roadmap and I'll get started on this asap. I need help with compiling information about how the faction mechanics in FoM, from multiple versions of the game, and if possible screenshots or videos of how the UI looked.

Things like:
- How the campaigns worked
- The process of building MA and final battles
- How the UI looked
- Colony settings, changing taxes, relations
- Anything else

The more information I can get (Down to numbers and exact steps), the quicker I can reverse engineer and implement the mechanics in MR, I'm also taking into consideration suggestions and improvements you'd like to see in regards to how those mechanics worked. I'm gonna first implement actionable things such as campaigns, wars, income, etc, then handle management and other smaller mechanics.

Ranfre

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Sep 15, 2018
Seattle
Avalon Enterprises
Service Points: 0
So what I remember(ish):

Control Campaigns
1) Create a capture goal. 'World Occupation'

2) Hack control points to gain control %
Points would lock after hack for period of time
Points would also over time reset and need to be hacked again to keep gaining %

UI: control point shows factions with a takeover %

3) Once 100% reached would be a countdown to a 'Final battle'

4) Final battle phase 1
Hack control points to gain %
Each factions starts 50/50
If defenders get 100% takeover fails
If attacker gets 100% go to phase 2

UI: control point shows status of each control point and the opposing %s

5) FB phase 2
Attacker has to hack the Control Control command point and press the capture button

Objectives and Groups
Players (think r4+) could create groups.
Each group would have a mission lasting for an adjustable period of time and selected objectives
Available objectives depended on active campaigns (see first SS)
Difficulty of objectives (ex: kill __ enemies, mine __ units) and faction credit payout dependent on selected length of mission and # of group members.
Faction credits rewarded at mission end to players depending on there amount of contribution toward the overall goals.

Taxes and Doors
Controlled via main colony control panel
I think R4/R5 could open doors and R6/R7 could change codes
In early days doors had codes that could be figured out by hacking and changed whenever by controlling hc
In later periods doors where based on faction and rank. Owning faction during all times with door 1 for r1+, door 2 for r3+ and door 3 for r5+ (not sure about exact ranks) And r1+ of owning faction and allies during Final Battle.

Taxes at one point (2nd SS) where controlled per colony and separate on mining, production, market, and 'entry' (aka vortex tickets with colony as destination) per allies, neutral, and enemies

I think in the later versions there was a unified interface in the faction manager where taxes where set on a global level across all owned colonies. Can't remember if could still do colony specific overrides.

There's a bunch of old tutorial videos showing different ui parts: https://www.youtube.com/user/DuplexSystems/videos

Last edited:

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
RE: Territories (in contrast to colonies).

Territories, as in service control were a FotD thing and were like most things in FotD an interesting design poorly implemented.

To control a territory you built one of these territory controllers and placed it in the territory you wanted to control, controlling a territory got you income based on services and foot traffic. From what I remember they were really easy to destroy and a faff to build so I don't exactly recommend that as a system even though the idea of subdividing colonies is a good one, instead I'd have smaller 'territory controls' in the same vein as colony controls for each territory.

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
Oda Zaibatsu
Froms FB system was trash and should 100% be reworked and the fotd territory system was indeed just as bad as chip said it was how many times I woke up to lost territory because they would hack and destroy it overnight

Rian Felix

Dilettante

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Apr 21, 2018
North Star
Mining
Taxes worked through dominance

The owner of a colony automatically got 50% dominance, the other 50% was divided between the amount of UC spent ecoing per day per faction, the next day a faction would get that % of the UC spent ecoing.

Only IF LED/FDC directly owned a colony the dividable dominance wasn't 50% but 100%, as GD always got income from market sales ( 10% ), dont remember if they got taxes from ecoing. They could still set the tax rate for ecoing on their colonies but that would simply go to the dominance pot

Hepopotan

Taxpayer

Jul 24, 2017
under your bed
Civil Protection Commission
Suggestion: make contracts tailored towards which faction you're in (i.e. NSM would get more mining contracts, TDC might get more combat orientated contracts and AE would get production ones, and/or just apply a bonus for doing contracts related to your faction) It would encourage players to sorta fulfill and exemplify what their faction stands for.

Reactions: arav

Ranfre

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Sep 15, 2018
Seattle
Avalon Enterprises
Suggestion: make contracts tailored towards which faction you're in (i.e. NSM would get more mining contracts, TDC might get more combat orientated contracts and AE would get production ones, and/or just apply a bonus for doing contracts related to your faction) It would encourage players to sorta fulfill and exemplify what their faction stands for.
Mining is easier than production and can be done totally afk. Also in you're scenario what if I'm in AE and need to just do mining then pass it off to another faction member for production, they get missions but I don't? Or if I'm in nsm but I don't just mine but I actually make useful shit.

People get tied so much to names and background stories. But while singular focus is realistic and ok for story, it doesn't work for an active game. Players need to be on an even and fair footing plus given the opportunity to do as much as they want.

Hepopotan

Taxpayer

Jul 24, 2017
under your bed
That's fair but I'm just trying to add to more distinction between factions so that there is an incentive to play a specific faction for benefits relating to that faction and lore. I really don't want another FotD with the only thing distinguishing factions is their title. Maybe instead of money incentive they could produce/mine stuff slighty faster, though this wouldnt really work for all factions.

Reactions: Michael Reaper

Venture Jones

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 29, 2017
Arizona
Avalon Enterprises
That's fair but I'm just trying to add to more distinction between factions so that there is an incentive to play a specific faction for benefits relating to that faction and lore. I really don't want another FotD with the only thing distinguishing factions is their title. Maybe instead of money incentive they could produce/mine stuff slighty faster, though this wouldnt really work for all factions.
What about giving extra UC for these aspects. All fighting contracts are worth more for those in GOTC, drugs are cheaper to make and can store more with The Syndicate and their contracts are worth more, etc for the rest. ? Im guessing this is sort of the idea?

Wilbon

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Dec 20, 2018
Oda Zaibatsu
Factions are also going to be culturally different, you dont always need a faction-specific mechanic to make factions different. Although they should have unique mechanics too, you don't need each game system to be different for each faction. Plus, the contracts in-game are secondary and solo in nature. The real meat of contracts should come from player-created contracts where the most of the money is circulating, not being spawned in.

Contracts working as is (minus drugs being available to all) is okay. I can't remember if they discussed the plan of discounts for corps (mining for NSM, etc) but if that is the plan then naturally those factions would be better off on those contracts. But even if they didn't, the relative perks and differences of factions will be plenty incentive.

Hepopotan

Taxpayer

Jul 24, 2017
under your bed
Just found out that the FoM fandom page has a little picture blurb at the end of each faction page that state what their mechanics "specialties" were.

Hari Seldon

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 17, 2017
Cloning
Followers of Eternity
FoE - Transhumanist Terrorist Separatists

Having not payed attention to what development ideas have been kicked around I only have these loose ideas from awhile ago. As the evil other of the game FoE’s stuff should probably be based around interrupting the way other factional mechanics work.

I am assuming planting bombs ect is uniform across factions and not sure what sort of NPC activity modelling things you are having for “crime” levels (based on CPC patrols or what have you) so wont mention it apart from maybe some sort of “security” track based on duration of high crime levels/alien attacks vs TDC presence for flag flying or responding to aliens ect.

Mostly it's hacking, the hacking of as many things as possible to lean into the transhumanist aspect. It can be very OP but FoE has to be a legit threat to corps as well as just something for TDC to shoot at and also a lure/reward to pull in people who are willing deal with being shot at to break the normal “rules” and so trade freedom for security. FoE is the “opt out” faction of people living outside the system and factions should need to invest in security (via TDC or their own patrols) or have to spend time and effort fixing the stuff FoE is always breaking or messing with. That said if blockchain realisation is a thing in MR we are fucked though.

In no particular order some ideas-
  • Hack IG billboard to broadcast propaganda.
  • Hack infrastructure not just for it not to work but also to futz with the rules to create tension and confusion between factions. Examples - Get a mining terminal not to charge you for a job. Have a market terminal inflate a cost by X from what it was set at by seller and skim difference off to FoE. Change factional based charging to make OZ terminals charge TDC twice as much as intended.
  • Ability to hack transport infrastructure to stop trains running or send people to the wrong location/back to the planet they are trying to leave.
  • The hacking/disruption of a maps “internet”/multi-com functions via a deployable that can either futz with the entire map or be faction targeted (based on cost/build tree choice) that must be destroyed to restore target map to full function. Required FoE doing some sort of mini-game every so often to keep it operational too.
  • The ability to hack the CPC PP data-base. Something involving a series of random locations on a random map that an FoE (team?) has to go to and complete a series of mini-games (with the number being dependant on how the CPC has developed their net security on map) to get in and edit some PP values. CPC gets an alert (with level of detail again dependant on CPC development choices) when it starts and a game of cat and mouse begins.
  • Ability to “Hack” into TDC/CPC sub-forum (here) via IG efforts (deployables/mini-games ect) with access levels and post abilities dependant of level of deployable or length of game.
  • Human (NPC) drones; people with hacked implants that are being used by FoE. In theory moral quandary over shooting them. Possibly GD has to pay the cloning cost to help recover these ostensibly innocent people they have shot in fighting FoE. Potential law to fight over.
  • Ability to make implants that are more extreme on their cost/benefits and cheaper; kayfabe of not being beholden to legal limits and checks of regulated manufacturers.
  • Making implants that help you hack and other nefarious things. Bomb implants to let people smuggle in weapons and blow themselves up.
  • Ability farm a crypto-currency that can be traded across the game.
  • Ability to have the political official of a planet (however that person is arrived at via democracy/ownership/appointment ect) declare it part of the “Eternal Community” and have deployables placed on infrastructure to remove GD mechanics thus becoming a separate nation that run only off players coming up with and enforcing their own bureaucracy.
  • Have cells have the option to keep members anonymous.
  • Ability to put on a fake ID (not of existing player) that can be foiled by appropriate (long) scan process/mini-game by CPC/TDC with right implant.
  • Ability to make dead drops from random bits of reasonably sized map background.
  • Ability to infect CPC/TDC implants/weapons with virus to keep an unalterable record of their usage for data analysis uses and obv propaganda if they are caught up to naughty things.
  • Option to invest in making underground bases on a map?
  • Hacking tools that are GUI as unique monsters that do battle with security monsters.... maybe not this one.

LordAdder

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 23, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
Just found out that the FoM fandom page has a little picture blurb at the end of each faction page that state what their mechanics "specialties" were.

Just noticed that FDC and LED have almost the exact same specialties lol. I think we agreed in TDC HC to not want to be heavily armed cops, so I think we shouldn't be bound to do PP stuff or scanners.

Tornadium

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 5
TDC Should have nothing to do with standard law enforcement.

I wouldn't mind some kind of prisoner of war mechanic but I have no idea how that would even function yet.

Michael Reaper

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Aug 26, 2018
Followers of Eternity
TDC Should have nothing to do with standard law enforcement.

I wouldn't mind some kind of prisoner of war mechanic but I have no idea how that would even function yet.
Well if you are going to torture me for information about the rebel base. Remember to use no lube, it is the best torture device to a PoW.