Getting In Shape

Jade Star

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 28, 2017
Avalon Enterprises
Service Points: 0
So like more than half of us are probably a bit more thicccker than what we should be maybe liiike 40+lbs more than what we should be. What steps are you taking to get back to being fit/healthy and what keeps you motivated? I've tried a few times signing up for the gym, but every time, I go for a few weeks if that even and quit. Driving there is a pain in the butt so I've just been thinking of getting a treadmill or exercise bike and doing that. But one of the hardest things is the eating healthy part getting away from all the addicting foods like soda and fast foods and don't get me started on issues like depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. I'm just fucked fam lmoa

ThinkTanking

Clone

Alpha Tester
Patron
Mar 23, 2018
Antarctica
Civil Protection Commission
I am on the heavy side, however I work in a physically active line of work. Luckily, I am a 24 hour key-fob style gym near my house that I like to go to around 1-2AM and just go and do my thing for about two hours a few times a week. As far as food goes, I find that eating more home cooked meals is the best option. That has always been my big killer, at work it is far easier to eat something on the go than to bring food but I have started forcing myself to do meal prep and that really does make all the difference.

I also tend to do a meal replacement drink for breakfast as well. As for gym stuff, you do not want to get stuck doing the same stuff every visit. I would switch between cardio, strength training, etc. The more you focus on one area, you will stop being productive. I am by no means a fitness instructor, I just know what works for me.

Reactions: Jade Star

Tan

Dweller

Nov 7, 2017
Guns of the Conclave
A healthy diet of boiled water and cigarettes will have you losing weight faster than anything else.

Reactions: Tod Maddux

Kuuwahi

Dilettante

Feb 27, 2018
Union City Lower
Followers of Eternity
My motivation are my kids and knowing older I get harder it will be.

Losing weight is 80% diet. So I have cut out wheat for the most part, restrict any junk food to a little at the weekend, eating a lot of fruit, veg, chicken and eating every 3 ours at most, little and often.

I also don't drink anything besides a couple of cups of tea, a smoothie in the morning and atleast 2L of water a day.

Exercise wise due to time restraints it's difficult for me to go to gym etc. So I do skipping in the garden, sit-ups and press-ups.

Jord

Expounder

Jun 1, 2017
Oxford, UK
Avalon Enterprises
Lots of overtime at work had me eating takeaways almost every night and I was around 2 stone (28 pounds) heavier than I wanted to be. Diet has been a massive part of it and I've almost lost that weight now. It's mostly been a combination of cutting down my sugar intake massively and not snacking during work or when I'm on my PC that has been one of the biggest improvements as I used to drink quite a lot of energy drinks and coke. On top of that I've been reducing my portion sizes and I drink a lot less beer.

I've had 2 gym memberships at different gyms and gone to neither of them, gym takes too much time out of my day to be motivating enough to go. So I got some dumbbells and exercise at home about an hour or so every day.

Overall I feel a lot healthier and have more energy from just the diet change. I think consistency is key, you won't lose all your weight or become magically healthy overnight, but small lifestyle changes consistently every day start to add up and eventually you'll see results.

I'm about 12.5 stone or 175 pounds now. I'd still like to lose about an 5 pounds but I'm gaining muscle too so it's all kinda evening out around this weight.

Jade Star

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 28, 2017
Avalon Enterprises
People with more active jobs are lucky I work in a dentist office at the front desk, Lots of great reply's and Kuuwahi does skipping? Like Jump rope? Maybe Ill try that.

Kuuwahi

Dilettante

Feb 27, 2018
Union City Lower
Followers of Eternity
People with more active jobs are lucky I work in a dentist office at the front desk, Lots of great reply's and Kuuwahi does skipping? Like Jump rope? Maybe Ill try that.
Yeah :). I wanted something which I could do from home, that wasn't expensive and I just remembered back to the days when I used to do martial arts.

I watched this video and that was that

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Consistent calorie burning and lesser exercises. You don't need to do cardio and you want to avoid heavy weight lifting. Doing things like sit ups/crunches when you wake up or go to bed helps dramatically. Curling/lifting very light weights(2-15 pounds) for extended periods while watching tv for example, greatly help.

If you're at a desk all day, do leg lifts periodically or other simple movements that really just keep you moving rather than being idle. Dieting helps but portions can do just as well, supplement the removed amount with popcorn, yogurt, diet shakes.

The whole idea to it is doing minor adjustments little by little, drastic changes are hard to maintain. By keeping it simple and easy, you're less likely to MOVE FORWARD WE LOVE YOU MR DEVS back. 30 minutes of cardio 3-5 times a week can be replaced by constant minor exercising and activity easily.

Also very important, vitamins and supplements. Make sure you're hitting daily values. A simple generic daily vitamin has quite a few but if you got depression, anxiety, etc you should get a Vitamin B complex(3-6-12 usually in them) as well as fish oil/omega 3 and 5-htp. Vitamin D is crucial but you should be getting enough from dairy products like milk, if not drink more milk rather than using a supplement for vitamin D. Milk is one of the best bases for neutralizing acids so you want to drink it if you eat a lot of fruit or have acid reflux/gurd

Last edited:
Reactions: Jade Star and Jord

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
I'm one of those lucky people where heavy lifting is just something that you'll be doing daily as I'm working in the concrete/ceramics industry. However, whenever I gain a few pounds due to holidays or extended vacations, I tend to jog a lot and have a soup/salad diet for a few weeks which tends to help a lot.

As it was mentioned above me already, your food intake is 80/90% the reason you'll be losing or gaining weight.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
itt: big boys.
If you want the quickest results for weight loss eat a vegan diet.

Ferin

Dilettante

Contributor
Jun 17, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Depends on your goals.

To lose weight calculate your maintenance calories (what your body uses in an average day to not gain or lose weight), using this tool https://tdeecalculator.net/

Input the data and eat 15%-10% below the number, you can eat a bigger deficit but likely you will burn out, don't go over a 25% deficit though. If you want to maintain muscle mass you need to workout and eat at 15%-10% deficit.

To build muscle you need to be in the gym a minimum of 3x a week and be eating at a surplus of your maintenance calories, 10%-15% is the recommendation. Sleep, consistency and food are all you need for building muscle. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/ and all the basic info is there to get started. If you're a beginner you can still make gains in the gym while losing weight though.

For motivation there is no magic phrase or inspiring youtube video you can watch that will do the hard work for you. You have to decide if you want to look better and feel better or continue not being. As a start though I recommend getting a good daily routine sorted (go to the gym at the same time, eat and sleep at consistent times), particularly enough sleep as I know obsessively playing computer games goes hand in hand with a bad sleeping routine.

Safwan

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 1, 2017
it's easy. I've to just cut out junk food, soda, alcohol, cigarettes, sugar, carbohydrates, weed, sleeping all day. I think I should just straight up kill myself

LordAdder

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 24, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
Hmmm, we all seem to be missing the most vital workout regimen. (I tried this a few days and I don't think it really works that well...)

LordAdder

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 24, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
But in seriousness, I've taken to wearing 1968 dated US Military Gear and running/marching on a treadmill holding a Springfield Musket for about an hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jade Star and Jord

Boom

Dweller

Mar 27, 2018
Sydney, Australia
The problems at the end of your post are probably more important (and even the root) of your "weight issues".

You need to tackle them all at once otherwise you going to continue in a vicious cycle.. it only gets harder as you age.

Fuck all the magic fixes, super diets, super foods and all the other bullshit.. its consistent commitment.. if you need to look in the mirror and get disgusted with yourself then do it, whatever it takes to motivate you... In regards to the issues at the end of your post, they need to be addressed.. talking about them is the first step.

Synpse

Citizen

Contributor
Feb 13, 2018
Portugal
The Syndicate
Just don´t quit the gym. Play a game with yourself: Set an objective and stick to it. All you have to do after is try to beat yourself!
Also try to get a friend to go with you, so you support each other.

Boom

Dweller

Mar 27, 2018
Sydney, Australia
So like more than half of us are probably a bit more thicccker than what we should be maybe liiike 40+lbs more than what we should be. What steps are you taking to get back to being fit/healthy and what keeps you motivated? I've tried a few times signing up for the gym, but every time, I go for a few weeks if that even and quit. Driving there is a pain in the butt so I've just been thinking of getting a treadmill or exercise bike and doing that. But one of the hardest things is the eating healthy part getting away from all the addicting foods like soda and fast foods and don't get me started on issues like depression, anxiety and low self-esteem. I'm just fucked fam lmoa
If you are really serious lets do it together, I want to lose 10KG at the moment (22lbs from memory) I was thinking about documenting this shit for shits and giggles anyway :)

Reactions: Necidious

IndridCold

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 1, 2017
Followers of Eternity
Sounds cliche, but Slim-fast and exercise made me lose so much weight. I went from 278 to 185 in about 8 months. I started to slack since I've been with my chick. I kept eating seconds, all the time. I'm 253 now, but I'm going to jump back onto Slim-fast and exercise again since it worked so well the first time.

The first two weeks are the worst because your brain craves "the chew", you just want something to chew on when you're eating, and when you're downing Slim-fasts for breakfast and lunch, you wanna punch a wall after a while. After those two weeks, I was totally comfortable. If I ate a sandwich on white bread for lunch, I would be stuffed for the whole day. I vouch for the stuff. If you use it right, you'll drop lbs. like crazy.