High-tech illicit devices for mining/refining/production

Wilbon

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Dec 20, 2018
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 0
So, had a bit of a thought about ecoing. We've talked about the idea of ecoers being able to purchase additional mining processes as a way to expand options for those who want to deeper invest into ecoing. An additional way to expand it is through an illegal hacking device that would speed up your economic processes.

They would need to be relatively costly to produce, and potentially be used up when you use them on an economic process. But once you used them, that process could gain a % increase in speed. These devices would be considered illegal tampering (at least at start and to make there a risk in using them). CPC scanners could then work on the various terminals in the game and could detect an illegal device in active use.

Unknown if it would automatically say who owned the process that is being illegally tampered with or if that would be best left ambiguous and require CPC to investigate further. That could be thoroughly explored with a better understanding of the crime system.

Reactions: Necidious

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
So looking at this from a 'lore' perspective (since that's my remit and all) what reason would the Union have for deliberately slowing production (I can think of a few but remember that the Union is controlled to some extenct by the Corporations for whom faster production is not really a bad thing).

However the idea of illegal devices that affect ecoing is not a bad one, devices that allow the production of illicit items on a normal production terminal or that aviod (or siphon) taxes aren't bad.

Wilbon

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Dec 20, 2018
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 0
So looking at this from a 'lore' perspective (since that's my remit and all) what reason would the Union have for deliberately slowing production (I can think of a few but remember that the Union is controlled to some extenct by the Corporations for whom faster production is not really a bad thing).

However the idea of illegal devices that affect ecoing is not a bad one, devices that allow the production of illicit items on a normal production terminal or that aviod (or siphon) taxes aren't bad.
So you ask why the TU would deliberately slow production, which in this scenario is the same as asking, 'why would the TU consider these devices illegal'? For that, I'd say you could argue 'why would the TU consider drugs illegal'? Unlike the real-world, drugs are all performance-enhancing. Sure they have minor drawbacks but in general, the use of drugs at current would make citizens and more importantly, the authority over citizens, better. So why would they deliberately prevent performance-enhancement?

I'm not much of a lore-writer though, nor a member of the agencies, but I suppose the simplest solution would be that the TU advocated for this, not necessarily as much to control production but more in an attempt to make believe that they have the authority and that they aren't just another hand of the corporations. Similarly they advocate against drugs not just for whatever reasons they would state politically, but to avoid being accused of being just a syndicate puppet.

Neither of those stances of defiance have to necessarily be true, but it makes the most sense for them to want the public to believe that the governing bodies are not enslaved to private entities. How do you distance yourself from a corporation? Oppose their economic interests. How do you distance yourself from criminals? Oppose their way of life.