Mission System Suggestion

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
Service Points: 0
Agenda's -> Created by your faction leader, chooses what colonies and what type of campaigns you are allowed to create, for example your leader could choose to only include colonies you have territories on for economic campaigns, limit defense campaigns to certain colonies, or xeno defense to certain colonies etc.

Campaigns -> Created by rank 6+ to specify exactly what kind of missions you want to create on specific colonies. Campaign description / mission parameters are defined by the creator. Creating a campaign will auto generate objectives for your faction to complete on the colony you create the campaign on. The campaign will keep a log of which objectives are completed and by whom. These can be integrated into the territory takeover / economic systems

Objectives -> These are supplemental missions that are able to be completed solo, the difficulty scales with rank til r4, the rewards scale with rank til r3. The more integrated into your faction you are, the more responsibility you are trusted with.

Player Created missions -> Set up by r4+ in your faction, these are the main driver in immersion / roleplay. Time Gated, rewards determined by the high command of the faction. These are created underneath the campaign. The Mission creator specifies a start time and meeting location for the mission, must type up mission objectives. After the mission is completed (after the specified mission length), the mission leader must type up a mission report and these are logged into the campaign for review by the higher ups. This is intentionally more open ended than the objectives, and would be up to the HC of the factions to prevent abuse. In face of mankind this is an example of a really basic one done by LED

So when i first joined FoM the thing that got me hooked to the game was the immersion provided from the mission system, i believe it did a lot of things right initially that they later iterated on and ended up losing the magic that they started with. Personally i really hope that MR can recapture and improve on the magic that the player-driven mission system from FoM was able to create.

This is just a basic rundown of how the mission system worked but also how it can be iterated on to incorporate what worked well in the original system, Bio would know better how to incorporate something like this into MR.

Side note, im a strong believer that generated economic objectives should be more nuanced then "mine x amount of x resource", and that the rewards be in faster mining or production times, or byproducts, rather than subsidizing with UC.

HBnY

Asst. Economy Designer

Community Contributor
Silver Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
Your Agenda, Campaign, and Objective suggestion already feels very similar to what FoM had. My question is the rewards, is it gonna be faction credits like in FoM or is it gonna be straight cold hard cash. Second, your idea of Player Created Missions feels similar to the Groups mechanic in FoM just maybe with abit more advanced statistics so I have no comment on any of it. For your reference, this is what I meant by the Groups mechanic back in FoM.

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
Your Agenda, Campaign, and Objective suggestion already feels very similar to what FoM had. My question is the rewards, is it gonna be faction credits like in FoM or is it gonna be straight cold hard cash. Second, your idea of Player Created Missions feels similar to the Groups mechanic in FoM just maybe with abit more advanced statistics so I have no comment on any of it. For your reference, this is what I meant by the Groups mechanic back in FoM.
definitely intended to be very similar to fom, however what later iterations of fom were missing were the immersion aspect - joining a group from a menu and not even having to be with your people, and more importantly were too rigid, not every patrol mission needs to have kill objectives, when fighting another faction why be limited to one territory when things are going on all across the game?

as far as rewards, im not entirely sure how the economy is going to work, ideally it would be credits from your faction funds if the missions meet approval from your HC..

HBnY

Asst. Economy Designer

Community Contributor
Silver Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
FotD has a quite polished group system with a decent statistic. Look at this for reference

Fowl

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
definitely intended to be very similar to fom, however what later iterations of fom were missing were the immersion aspect - joining a group from a menu and not even having to be with your people, and more importantly were too rigid, not every patrol mission needs to have kill objectives, when fighting another faction why be limited to one territory when things are going on all across the game?

as far as rewards, im not entirely sure how the economy is going to work, ideally it would be credits from your faction funds if the missions meet approval from your HC..
This sounds like the old missions from FoM in it's entirety. r4+ makes a mission, gives it a description, and assigns a reward that is payed out to the mission's members from the faction funds upon expiration of the mission. I'm not opposed to another system like this. IE, make a mission for a certain ecoer to produce a few sets of armor for the faction pool and when the mission expires they get paid out whatever the sum needs to be to cover the cost. This will need to be heavily monitored by HC to prevent abuse of course.

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
This sounds like the old missions from FoM in it's entirety. r4+ makes a mission, gives it a description, and assigns a reward that is payed out to the mission's members from the faction funds upon expiration of the mission. I'm not opposed to another system like this. IE, make a mission for a certain ecoer to produce a few sets of armor for the faction pool and when the mission expires they get paid out whatever the sum needs to be to cover the cost. This will need to be heavily monitored by HC to prevent abuse of course.
I want to emphasize a lack of rigidity in what your mission goal is, there was a time when missions were very objective oriented, I.e kill 3 members of an opposing faction and I don’t think that is the way to go. It’s a player driven game, let them drive it ya know?

Fowl

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
I want to emphasize a lack of rigidity in what your mission goal is, there was a time when missions were very objective oriented, I.e kill 3 members of an opposing faction and I don’t think that is the way to go. It’s a player driven game, let them drive it ya know?
Oh for sure. R4+ should be able to set whatever the mission goal is via the description. IE. Kill all KoS on a certain colony. Patrol certain area on said colony. The reward is paid out regardless at the end of the mission duration.

HBnY

Asst. Economy Designer

Community Contributor
Silver Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
Imo, MR should base the player made groups/missions mechanic and UI like FotD's then expand on it cause the one FotD has is pretty good already

David Ord

Dilettante

Silver Donator
Alpha Tester
Civil Protection Commission
Agenda's -> Created by your faction leader, chooses what colonies and what type of campaigns you are allowed to create, for example your leader could choose to only include colonies you have territories on for economic campaigns, limit defense campaigns to certain colonies, or xeno defense to certain colonies etc.

Campaigns -> Created by rank 6+ to specify exactly what kind of missions you want to create on specific colonies. Campaign description / mission parameters are defined by the creator. Creating a campaign will auto generate objectives for your faction to complete on the colony you create the campaign on. The campaign will keep a log of which objectives are completed and by whom. These can be integrated into the territory takeover / economic systems

Objectives -> These are supplemental missions that are able to be completed solo, the difficulty scales with rank til r4, the rewards scale with rank til r3. The more integrated into your faction you are, the more responsibility you are trusted with.

Player Created missions -> Set up by r4+ in your faction, these are the main driver in immersion / roleplay. Time Gated, rewards determined by the high command of the faction. These are created underneath the campaign. The Mission creator specifies a start time and meeting location for the mission, must type up mission objectives. After the mission is completed (after the specified mission length), the mission leader must type up a mission report and these are logged into the campaign for review by the higher ups. This is intentionally more open ended than the objectives, and would be up to the HC of the factions to prevent abuse. In face of mankind this is an example of a really basic one done by LED

So when i first joined FoM the thing that got me hooked to the game was the immersion provided from the mission system, i believe it did a lot of things right initially that they later iterated on and ended up losing the magic that they started with. Personally i really hope that MR can recapture and improve on the magic that the player-driven mission system from FoM was able to create.

This is just a basic rundown of how the mission system worked but also how it can be iterated on to incorporate what worked well in the original system, Bio would know better how to incorporate something like this into MR.

Side note, im a strong believer that generated economic objectives should be more nuanced then "mine x amount of x resource", and that the rewards be in faster mining or production times, or byproducts, rather than subsidizing with UC.
Faction leaders will look for the most fluid way to get the faction funds out to its members the quickest way possible. Allowing the flexibility to set missions without too many moving parts in between will aid this. HC approve the list of completed missions to release the set reward and the daily faction payout according to rank adds to the recongnition.

To kick off a colony takeover is something that should be separate from the missions and does need the time spent orchestrating the build up on both the economical and militaristic fronts.

Civilian
I can safely say that if MR brings back something very similar to FoM's old player-driven mission system, I will love the heck out of it. It was one of the things that made my jaw drop back in the day, I was thrilled something like that exists in a MMO game to facilitate content and immersion. FoM later dropped the ball by essentially losing the feature.

Banjo

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
I didn't play the '05 or '07 version of Fom, so I did not experience the mission rooms, so this might be why I'm slightly confused by why there seems to be such an emphasis on the starting location.

When FOM reimplemented the open-ended missions in FOTD we still grouped up at the same location, which usually was our HQ or some kind of 'outpost' gearing spot. So even though the game didn't mechanically force unit coherency for missions, we still ended up being together due to the nature of the mission objectives. This might have been different for other factions with less RP-driven goals or factions where people mostly ECO'ed solo.

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
I didn't play the '05 or '07 version of Fom, so I did not experience the mission rooms, so this might be why I'm slightly confused by why there seems to be such an emphasis on the starting location.

When FOM reimplemented the open-ended missions in FOTD we still grouped up at the same location, which usually was our HQ or some kind of 'outpost' gearing spot. So even though the game didn't mechanically force unit coherency for missions, we still ended up being together due to the nature of the mission objectives. This might have been different for other factions with less RP-driven goals or factions where people mostly ECO'ed solo.
No mission rooms here please; those were cancer and instanced. No, in the 05 fom the mission creator would place a “marker” on the ground only visible to your faction which you had to be in the vicinity of at the start of the mission.. which led to some counterplsy opportunities, if you could keep people off the colony you could prevent them from running missions. In the mission description when someone signs up the creator just says “meet at dmc level one” or “pegasi 51 market” or “Brooklyn mall vortex room”

Banjo

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
No mission rooms here please; those were cancer and instanced. No, in the 05 fom the mission creator would place a “marker” on the ground only visible to your faction which you had to be in the vicinity of at the start of the mission.. which led to some counterplsy opportunities, if you could keep people off the colony you could prevent them from running missions. In the mission description when someone signs up the creator just says “meet at dmc level one” or “pegasi 51 market” or “Brooklyn mall vortex room”
I must say I still don't see why it needs to be mechanically enforced to have a meeting point. R4+ should already demand this for mission members, or not pay the mission reward. The example about blocking players from starting a mission seems more like meta gaming. Why not Block players from the purpose of their mission. As in denying them from ecoing on a colony, destroying infrastructure, kill patrols or what the actual content is.

GeeKay

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
I must say I still don't see why it needs to be mechanically enforced to have a meeting point. R4+ should already demand this for mission members, or not pay the mission reward. The example about blocking players from starting a mission seems more like meta gaming. Why not Block players from the purpose of their mission. As in denying them from ecoing on a colony, destroying infrastructure, kill patrols or what the actual content is.
So the one downside of a really open ended system is lack of direct counter play.

As far as meeting on the mission location, it provides immersion rather than just clicking on a menu and being in a mission and having predefined objectives. After all this is supposed to be a role playing game not just a glorified shooter

HBnY

Asst. Economy Designer

Community Contributor
Silver Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
I agree on Banjo. Why do you really need a mechanically enforced starting point. Its counter intuitive and besides, everyone on the mission will need to regroup first before starting it anyway, you dont need to mechanically force them to.