my multitude of idea's for economy, mining, markets, biotech, etc...

creepertnt

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 20, 2018
Reactions
11 0 0
Avalon
Enterprises
Service Points: 0
1. Auctions- This could be used for small, medium, and big game gear and a means of possibly getting a good deal on something. You could also use this as a means to sell of a factions territory if they are low on funds and are willing to sell it to other factions (another step of in depth for the faction system).
2. Eye implants- allow the user to access hud's, online stores, auctions, and more without having to go to a market terminal. this would allow a player to order something via the eye implant no matter where they are so as to save time. You can take this a step further and implement a mailing system so that if you order anything via the eye implants then they are mailed to a location of you choice. these locations can be your apartment, factions headquarters, or a mail station set up on each planet. These places can be hacked and the goods inside stolen.
3. In game notepad- I can never stress this enough as it would be a HUGE help for all players as many people will constantly be looking up wiki's, you tube videos, and guides on crafting recipes, proper market prices, what aliens to kill for money, what guns are good and whats not. This will not eliminate it but it will allow those that want to experience things for them selves to experience it and remember by writing it in their notepad. You could also include a watch that tells military time or civilian time (customizable), calculator, and a compass. Such simple tools would REALY help.
4. Alternate pathways to start from- I like the idea of being given options on what you can do to start out. A few options would be, start your adventure by talking with a mining terminal robot that gives you basic instructions to mine and a basic tool (resource gathering and crafting), another one would be to go through a weapons training course and receive a pistol with enough ammunition to do a few missions to earn money (soldier/mercenary).

Tell me what you guys think of these ideas in their blandest form. Or even better improve upon them.

LordAdder

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 24, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Reactions
107 2 0
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
I'll comment on each one individually:
1. Auctions- I do like the idea of Factions having an alternative to getting rid of territory that may not be beneficial for the faction's long term goals, so having a means to make some kind of profit from their failing territory might help both them and another faction out. As for gear, I think there's a market already planned for something like that, so I don't see how an Auction system will work out in the regards, other than a means to make more money off an item. Could add a bidding option for items like on Ebay.

2. Eye implants- I find it an interesting idea of having a seperate implant for plays to view and use the market outside of the market terminals. It might help with market areas becoming bogged down with foot traffic, but may also be a detriment if everyone has one, then there would be no need for a market terminal.

3. Notepad- A simple addition that would be helpful for many people. Besides, they would probably have a notepad of some kind in the future.

4. Alternative pathways- I think it would be cool to give players a basic rundown of mechanics in the game specific to factions. Although, I feel like at some point there might be a desire for factions to do things in house, (i.e. Mining and Production) especially for factions that may not prioritize this through lore and function (TDC and CPC?). I would find it cool to have a seperate tutorial for each faction modeled off of their themes, (TDC as a military recruiting and basic training station, CPC same but for cops, Mega Corps as an induction at a home office complete with powerpoints and graphs, miners are just kind of thrown onto a resource rich planet and given the rundown)

My thoughts on what you said

creepertnt

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 20, 2018
Reactions
11 0 0
Avalon
Enterprises
Thanks for the input. As i said about the eye implants though is that goods bought are sent to a mailstation instead of directly to your inventory. You then pick them up at those stations but theres the risk of your stuff being stollen via hacking. Just my thoughts, could be too hard too pull off.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Reactions
527 11 2
No Faction
Service Points: 2400
Thank you for your suggestions, @creepertnt! An implementation of an in-game notepad is already on the roster and will make its way into the game eventually. I cannot provide you with an exact timeframe, as it's not really a high priority at the moment.

Yes, we need more implant ideas, so keep them coming! We've got a couple of ideas written down, one of which is a scanner that provides the player with a summary of another player's inventory. Just to give you an example. :)

As for your suggestion regarding the auction to sell property and territories; the game will feature a Real Estate Terminal where players can sell their property and territories. More on that later, though. This is still very early in game design, so ideas are most welcomed.

creepertnt

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 20, 2018
Reactions
11 0 0
Avalon
Enterprises
Thank you for your suggestions, @creepertnt! An implementation of an in-game notepad is already on the roster and will make its way into the game eventually. I cannot provide you with an exact timeframe, as it's not really a high priority at the moment.

Yes, we need more implant ideas, so keep them coming! We've got a couple of ideas written down, one of which is a scanner that provides the player with a summary of another player's inventory. Just to give you an example. :)

As for your suggestion regarding the auction to sell property and territories; the game will feature a Real Estate Terminal where players can sell their property and territories. More on that later, though. This is still very early in game design, so ideas are most welcomed.
I like that inventory scanner idea, though i would suggest making it a bit hard to craft as too many of these things would lead too tons of pk. Just my 2 cents.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
351 8 1
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
I like that inventory scanner idea, though i would suggest making it a bit hard to craft as too many of these things would lead too tons of pk. Just my 2 cents.
One of the problems with making the scanner too expensive to craft is that it has a lot of uses ingame for player conflict. Police using the scanner at a checkpoint to search for drugs, criminals using it to find a good mark to rob, Corpsec making sure people who enter their corporation's HQ aren't armed etc, etc.

I'm somewhat interested in your idea for alternate start pathways though, can you detail it further for me?

Hari Seldon

Advocate

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 17, 2017
Cloning
Reactions
132 2 0
No Faction
Oh my, did someone ask for opinions? I know I have some of those around here.

Slap a (buyout/current bid/reserve price) on the terminal sale system. Not sure how much use it would see as it would probably translate the going rate to the Buy Out but can't hurt for longer bulk sales like massive resource offloads.

The faction organisation terminals/screens could have a section for faction owned items to be listed for sale with people able to access the marketplace levels and funding pools according to how the upper management has delegated responsibility.

More or less all the standard functions of a modern mobile phone are the natural choices for implantation and marketplace apps are pretty standard. You could argue that a location beacon is also a standard feature (food delivery, ride hailing ect) but if you are going to have delivery to individuals it should be done via drones that can be shot down or hacked for their contents, higher shipping fees can add speed or protection to the drone.

A corp might even run a food delivery business just to have quick access to the beacon feed to see if that mob of enemy troops remembered to turn off the implant after their in game pizza-burger booster feast :D

Brings up a use for identity theft as well, not-BoS can use hacking a personal account to order themselves goods weighing up small drip tactics vs digital smash and grab depending on if they think they got caught in the hack and what the individuals habit is of security cycling.

Depends what you mean-

Beyond basic controls that should be just enough for people to pick up "it is standard WASD and press E to interact" not a huge point to game initiation tutorials or New Player Zones. NPZs don't help because people need to like the game not the game lite that NPZ is a version of so their first experiences should to be with the whole thing leaving aside them being a lighting rod for griefing newbies. For interface simple games tutorials can only cover more or less useless info without boring the pants off most players. No one new will want to click through a five minuet wall of text or vid about the finer points of production scaling economics or how the combat meta is currently balanced and nor do they much need to be told to press E on the production terminal to get to the production mini-game.

An in game Wiki and driving players to join factions (that shouldn't be forced to have, yet would benefit immeasurably from, decent training departments) is a much better way of getting people to the level of understanding about game systems that they respectively want.

Could instead do a mini-choose your own adventure at character creation like M&B to provide a feel for the themes and setting of the MRverseTM, give you certain extra starting items and a suggestion of what faction you should think about joining up with. I'd go illustrated text though certainly not an ingame run around being handed tutorial quests by NPCs though because that sets up the wrong expectation of the game having a structured narrative the PCs experience rather than generate.

I'm somewhat interested in your idea for alternate start pathways though...
You just like P&P RPG life-paths you nerd

creepertnt

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 20, 2018
Reactions
11 0 0
Avalon
Enterprises
sorry for the late reply been a little busy but what i guess what i envision from different starting pathways would have to be something along the lines of this: all players start out with basic gear, no faction affiliation, and they may go straight into farming. but if the person so chooses then they can choose a faction and depending on that faction they will be given specific missions to correlate with that faction. for example: north star mining will give more mining and production geared missions while guns of the conclave will have more combat, protect, and bounty related missions. all factions can have any type of mission but depending on the faction will decide what is more frequent.