Egroeg

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 10, 2017
Area 69, Antarctica
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
This paragraph in particular seems to contradict what you're saying. You say that if you can't make 1500 UC to get 10 clones then you deserve to be perma'd, but in the paragraph before you stated that you'd gank AFK money farmers for the lulz, and randomly cause mayhem when you were bored and had the money to spare.
What's the contradiction? It's two different statements from two different points. It's easy to make just enough to sustain clones to at least play. Before I stated the reason I gang afk ecoers for the lulz is because some people do, do this at times. But I also backed that statement up with that generally I'd be put on KOS by that faction (I always said "EGGROLLED" when ganking afkers so ofc they knew it was me) for awhile, so it wasn't always a good idea.

Those are people who might be trying to make that 1500 UC for ten clones and the people who might be learning the game, and ganking them might've been the straw that made them say "Okay. Done playing this."
This goes with my "be smart with your money" statement. Where if you are THAT poor and on your last clone, you shouldn't be afk ecoing, you should be in hyper mode surrounded by friends, asking for money for just a few clones, asking for protection as you try to eco your clones back or protection so you can market some items before you log off and hope you login with more money. So again, be smart with your current situations and money, you deserve to be perma'd if you really let yourself get easily ganked on your last clone if you somehow get that low with how cheap clones will probably be. (Maybe they'll be expensive in MR, who knows).

The problem I see is that gaming moved in certain directions for very notable reasons. Like regenerating health. I remember the days when playing on hard in Call of Duty meant hopping from healthpack to healthpack and hoping that the enemy AI didn't hit you at random and not cowering behind a chest-high wall waiting for a red screen to go away. Not every change is suited for the people who want that hardcore challenge, but there are certain times when an evolution must take place.

The original wolfenstein had limited health, limited lives, and a high score table despite not being an arcade game. What did DOOM do? Got rid of the limited lives and the high score table explicitly because it wasn't an arcade game. Quake III Arena, Team Arena, and Unreal Tournament had pushed arena FPS games into a state of perfection, but FPS games couldn't maintain that. Something had to change, and they had to evolve. Then Halo: Combat Evolved came out, and while many things were changed from the arena shooter tradition I rarely see anyone decry Halo as being something that's ruined FPS games.
FOM was meant to be 'hardocre' though, with the permadeath, but as stated it didn't happen that often (on purpose). It's a mmorpg, the roleplay that your character can be done-in.

I watched FoM die twice, and I have hope for MR. I really don't want to watch it launch and die before it gets a chance to take its first breath. Mandatory permadeath might not be something that helps it stay alive. Though I suppose the only thing to really do is wait and see what happens.

Don't get me wrong, I love hard and challenging games. I put 360+ hours on Dark Souls (for PC. On original X360 I have no idea how many hours I logged) for a good reason. But even with Dark Souls you weren't limited on lives, just how long you wanted to persevere.
Don't look at permadeath as making the game "challenging", it's actually a good thing to make people think twice about decisions. I can tell you now, if I don't have to pay for clones or worry about permaing. I will be out there ganking so hard, trying to take down full combat load dudes in no gear because in the end if I died, all I would lose is a few clips/meds vs armor, lots of meds, ammo, boosters, etc. There's no punishment to me dieing and the cost to attempt to do such would be low as I just need a few mags and a couple meds, find out weak players and fuck their gear out of them and stockpile their loot.

It's a balance where with every death I'd be losing money on top of the few gear I used, even if a minor fee, which again, is easy to earn lol.

I highly doubt MR will die because permadeath is on. FOM FOR SURE did not die because permadeath was a thing and new players getting randomly ganked. It was much bigger things that killed fom

Valor

Dweller

Aug 28, 2019
No Faction
What's the contradiction? It's two different statements from two different points. It's easy to make just enough to sustain clones to at least play. Before I stated the reason I gang afk ecoers for the lulz is because some people do, do this at times. But I also backed that statement up with that generally I'd be put on KOS by that faction (I always said "EGGROLLED" when ganking afkers so ofc they knew it was me) for awhile, so it wasn't always a good idea.

This goes with my "be smart with your money" statement. Where if you are THAT poor and on your last clone, you shouldn't be afk ecoing, you should be in hyper mode surrounded by friends, asking for money for just a few clones, asking for protection as you try to eco your clones back or protection so you can market some items before you log off and hope you login with more money. So again, be smart with your current situations and money, you deserve to be perma'd if you really let yourself get easily ganked on your last clone if you somehow get that low with how cheap clones will probably be. (Maybe they'll be expensive in MR, who knows).

FOM was meant to be 'hardocre' though, with the permadeath, but as stated it didn't happen that often (on purpose). It's a mmorpg, the roleplay that your character can be done-in.

Don't look at permadeath as making the game "challenging", it's actually a good thing to make people think twice about decisions. I can tell you now, if I don't have to pay for clones or worry about permaing. I will be out there ganking so hard, trying to take down full combat load dudes in no gear because in the end if I died, all I would lose is a few clips/meds vs armor, lots of meds, ammo, boosters, etc. There's no punishment to me dieing and the cost to attempt to do such would be low as I just need a few mags and a couple meds, find out weak players and fuck their gear out of them and stockpile their loot.

It's a balance where with every death I'd be losing money on top of the few gear I used, even if a minor fee, which again, is easy to earn lol.

I highly doubt MR will die because permadeath is on. FOM FOR SURE did not die because permadeath was a thing and new players getting randomly ganked. It was much bigger things that killed fom
Fair enough.

Rian Felix

Citizen

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Apr 21, 2018
Ghent, Belgium
Civil Protection Commission
Perhaps instead of permadeath.

A system where you can only buy a few clones per 24 hours, and if you run out of clones the cost for cloning is increased exponentially.

And if you're ever out of clones and out of money it just takes a much longer time to clone (instead of instant/30 seconds it goes upward to 10 minutes etc)

John White

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jul 23, 2018
Avalon Enterprises
Perhaps instead of permadeath.

A system where you can only buy a few clones per 24 hours, and if you run out of clones the cost for cloning is increased exponentially.

And if you're ever out of clones and out of money it just takes a much longer time to clone (instead of instant/30 seconds it goes upward to 10 minutes etc)
That will prevent players from playing the game.
While perma death won't as they can instantly make a new character.
Though I like the idea of punishment by increasing the cost if you die too much.

AtrocityLone

Citizen

Silver Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 5, 2017
Charleston, SC
Civil Protection Commission
I agree on increasing the cost if you die alot. Maybe create something such as if you die this many times within a set time frame the price will increase, whether a gradual increase or a set amount. Then after not dying after a certain amount of time the cost returns to its default price, or gradually decreases overtime.