On the topic of current testing...

Nov 14, 2018
North Star
Mining
Service Points: 0
I have been following mankind reborn almost from the beginning and I have seen lots of progress. I’m impressed by the work completed by the devs supported solely by donations. However, as it currently stands, the testing is behind a $35 donation paywall which in Canada is just under $47 CAD. With the information we have, the testing seems to be around just the combat system and tweaking the mechanics around it. I would love to support the game and help, but many community projects seem to die out eventually and a $47 donation paywall just to play an unfleshed out combat system seems to be a bit extreme. I know the hardcore advocates for this game will continue to support it, however I fear for myself and my friends that this project will slowly slip away. Because right now there is no apparent depth (or public information) of the core mechanics that made a game like FoM unique and interesting. This is not a bash to the devs or the community telling them to make it free and release all the information they have about the game. But it would be nice to see something other than occasional development updates (which are usually filled with information — and I’m glad for that) and videos of guys running around shooting each other. I appreciate all the work the devs have done thus far and i’m excited for the future of this game, but right now it seems to just be accessible for only ex-FoM players and fitting their nostalgic niche. I believe if the devs and the community want to see the game grow, then it requires part of the ex-FoM community and a new player base to grow the game. As it stands, this game is very inaccessible for new players and it may be very hard for them to get into the game when there is a steep paywall and not a lot of unique fleshed out mechanics.

Chase Benedict

Clone

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Mar 4, 2019
The Syndicate
But it would be nice to see something other than occasional development updates (which are usually filled with information — and I’m glad for that) and videos of guys running around shooting each other.
Something like what? Hard to market a game this early in development, I'd imagine. And I'd contend that plenty of marketing videos for games are indeed "guys running around shooting each other" - it's easy to minimize progress if we're trying to be reductionist.

but right now it seems to just be accessible for only ex-FoM players and fitting their nostalgic niche.
I believe if the devs and the community want to see the game grow, then it requires part of the ex-FoM community and a new player base to grow the game.
I agree. Should they start the marketing push now? Divert resources (time, money, effort) away from developing the game, or "something other than the occasional development update" like you wanted? It seems like it'd be a huge waste of effort to "go public" so to speak while we're still in the literal alpha (or pre-alpha?) stage. Going through all the effort to build the player base before giving them something to do would be counter-productive.

Starting with the ex-FoM community makes sense because we collectively have a shared reference point based on our past FoM experience. We're probably the only people that could play the game in its current state and not be turned away as you're implying. That's smart business and development practice - get the nostalgia-starved suckers in with the deep pockets and a little more patience than an afternoon trying out another free MMO.

Obviously the player base will need expanding - I would contend (and I hope I'm not alone) it's still too early to be reaching out for a deluge of new bodies. IMO there's a lot game-wise that needs cementing before a big push goes out. Reaching out too early in the development process is how you get a billion suggestion threads trying to make the game into something it's not (BRO VEHICLES BRO, BRO BR MODE BRO, BRO FLOSS EMOTES WHEN)

As it stands, this game is very inaccessible for new players and it may be very hard for them to get into the game when there is a steep paywall and not a lot of unique fleshed out mechanics.
I didn't donate to "get into the game". I donated because I wanted to entertain the chance of something FoM-like coming back, eventually. If that makes me a sucker, then I'm a sucker. It sounds like the cost of entry isn't worth it to you at the moment - and that's perfectly fine. You seem to be framing it as the current cost of the game, rather than a donation of support to the developer. Mindset is key.

tl;dr
Donate if you want, don't if you don't.
"this game is very inaccessible for new players " Yes, it is. And right now, that's okay.

Munki

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 26, 2017
Civil Protection Commission
Do you know what the term 'Alpha' in software development means?

Regardless... In my opinion, you should be donating to ensure the projects continued development, and not to be a glorified QA tester - why anyone would want to pay for that is beyond me. It seems like you've got this backwards.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
I have been following mankind reborn almost from the beginning and I have seen lots of progress. I’m impressed by the work completed by the devs supported solely by donations. However, as it currently stands, the testing is behind a $35 donation paywall which in Canada is just under $47 CAD. With the information we have, the testing seems to be around just the combat system and tweaking the mechanics around it. I would love to support the game and help, but many community projects seem to die out eventually and a $47 donation paywall just to play an unfleshed out combat system seems to be a bit extreme. I know the hardcore advocates for this game will continue to support it, however I fear for myself and my friends that this project will slowly slip away. Because right now there is no apparent depth (or public information) of the core mechanics that made a game like FoM unique and interesting. This is not a bash to the devs or the community telling them to make it free and release all the information they have about the game. But it would be nice to see something other than occasional development updates (which are usually filled with information — and I’m glad for that) and videos of guys running around shooting each other. I appreciate all the work the devs have done thus far and i’m excited for the future of this game, but right now it seems to just be accessible for only ex-FoM players and fitting their nostalgic niche. I believe if the devs and the community want to see the game grow, then it requires part of the ex-FoM community and a new player base to grow the game. As it stands, this game is very inaccessible for new players and it may be very hard for them to get into the game when there is a steep paywall and not a lot of unique fleshed out mechanics.
Hey,

We mentioned in an announcement the reason why we had to increase the pricing from $5 to $35, you can read that here:
https://forums.mankindreborn.com/threads/clarification-on-recent-events.1544/#post-12432

$35+ will give you access to all upcoming playtests from alpha to beta and you'll get the game for free on release, plus other rewards. That money gets injected back into the game and keeps it alive. MR has a monthly cost of around $500, when you factor in the server box, gamesparks, substance, game-to-discord integration, etc. Our donation system is a work in progress and we'll be adding more rewards as we create them, the game will also be a lot cheaper once it comes out, other popular indie games have done this playtest model before.

The game is too early in development and we don't have the manpower to have a consistent development pipeline found in other indie games, we've been pretty transparent about this since the inception, it's better to stay under the radar and work things in a linear manner to ensure growth and stability are pretty even. This is a hobby & passion project for most of the staff, most people work on their free time, I'm the only programmer/developer that works in UE4, with a few level designers that work in their free time during the weekends. After this playtest concludes, I will be releasing a roadmap of what's expected for the rest of 2019.

I understand this might seem like the usual "indie game with big dreams" that die out as you mentioned, there's a lot of risks in game development and I'm completely aware, I'm 101% committed to getting this project off the ground and going, I got the experience needed, the tools and technology, we just need the time, people and money. To get there, we need a proper minimum viable product that we can use to start looking for funding, that's what we're doing right now, just be patient pls lol.

With that said, now you can see why there are not many features and the game looks a bit rough and lags a lot, it's expected and why I put a disclaimer on the main menu and also in the message of the day when you first login. It's a 50/50 allowing people to play an early product, but I'd rather take my chances, as the data gathered from people playing this early on is extremely valuable and will help the game a lot.

And yes it's very inaccessible, my focus is the fom community first and then the casuals, since I started I've mentioned that I'm making this game mainly because I want to play it myself, it's something very niche and I like it that way, once we establish our niche we can expand, there's too many games out there, I just wanna play fom again and anyone else that feels like tagging along lol.

Ceecaar

Clone

Feb 12, 2018
No Faction
I have played face of mankind for so many years, I pledged 80€ to their "Rebirth" and since that flopped I get kind of restricted when it comes to giving money to get alpha access.

Although this is different because this is a donation.

Im going to wait for it to be open to everyone, because at some point they will have to test it out with as many players as possible.. Although that's probably just gonna be open for a weekend, it atleast gives me time to test it!

But I understand their decision to put it behind a 35$ wall, it's not awfully expensive and they get the hardcore players in first which gives better feedback.

Anyways as long as the game will be alive and not canceled in the future I know I will eventually pay to be able to play it, 100%. If it's free or not does not matter to me because I miss this game so much. And that's coming from someone that rarely buy games out of very limited wallet haha

Hey,
It's a 50/50 allowing people to play an early product, but I'd rather take my chances, as the data gathered from people playing this early on is extremely valuable and will help the game a lot.

I don't think you have to worry. As someone stated up top and I also pointed out is that you get the people that loved the game before, and they're going to stick around. It's different with a completely new game because then the donators don't know what they donate to, the people on here atleast know what they can look forward to, if it's not already there.

Last edited: