On Weapon Modding

Hepopotan

Dweller

Jul 24, 2017
ya mum's hut
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
Just a quick discussion on how weapon mods will effect guns/gameplay in MR.

I think with the added weapons mods, weapon tiers (LQ, MQ, HQ) are no longer necessary as weapons can be modded to increase/customize combat effectiveness instead to suite a player's needs. As for the mods themselves, I think that they should increase the stats of the weapons (i.e. vertical recoil and spread, minor damage increases as in like 2+ points, rate of fire, etc) with the trade off of other stats (i.e. recoil and spread, damage, durability). I also think that the mods should be visible on the gun itself. For example, maybe an decrease in weapon spread and recoil can correspond with putting a scope on the weapon or a modified stock.

This also leads into the legality of some of these mods, just like how with combat enhancers like drugs provide greater stats over food at the cost of being more expensive and illegal, there could be a weapon mods tiering system as well, with the more potent mods being illegal (based on what ever regulations are in place) and can be searched for by an inspection device (courtesy of CPC).

John White

Helpful Citizen

Supporting Donator
Jul 23, 2018
Oda Zaibatsu
Hmm should the mods be produced separately and then added onto the weapon of any class? Or each weapon class has it's own mods?
Feels like it will add too many items.
What if instead of producing weapon mods themselves, one could buy modding kit of different quality and legality and then apply it to the weapon.

Won't putting scope on the weapon make it harder to handle?

Hepopotan

Dweller

Jul 24, 2017
ya mum's hut
I could get behind the idea of modding kits of various qualities, it would streamline the entire process. However, these modding kits should be a one use item that effects one stat at a time (with ups and downs of course). If you wanted to mod multiple stats of a gun you would need to buy more than one kit and the system would ensure that you can't stack mods or modify a stat was previously changed, mods should be permanent since guns aren't very expensive to repurchase.

As for the scope issue, I was just thinking about these modding items from a purely aesthetic point of view (they'd increase zoom I guess?). Currently, the ballistic guns look like a generic stock M4 and SCAR. Would be nice to see them change into something more iconic like the PP7.

Insomnia

Clone

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
May 23, 2020
Guns of the Conclave
I like this idea, especially the fact that it'd change the appearance of your weapons. The only complaint I might have about this is that with the ability to change stats on your guns around it would lead to a clearly obvious meta of which guns/mods are the best and it'd become more about using the meta weapons than it would be using what you think is more comfortable but it could be argued that it's already somewhat like that. That said I think it would add a lot to the game.

Hepopotan

Dweller

Jul 24, 2017
ya mum's hut
I think it would be fine if it created metas and niches, since those are already present in what combat consumables we use in battle, this would more or less be an extension of that and a way for players to experiment and maybe find a niche they like that could complement their consumables and play style.