Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Feb 1, 2019
Reactions
27 3 0
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
In FOM it seems like the biggest draw back in terms of corruption and failings of the game were the groupies and toxicity of individuals. With the government going to have oversight over TDC and CPC I want to help ensure that the oversight itself is not filled with that kind of pettiness.

I think introducing a few political parties with overarching goals, 'bigger government' 'smaller government' would really help mitigate the personal favors and toxic side of individuals and help elevate the roleplay and gameplay for the general community.

As a very basic simple idea I'll draw up three parties. Lets call them Left, Right, and Middle.

The left might try higher taxes and better services to benefit people, but maybe are for more government control and bigger TDC/CPC power. The right could be for lower taxes and better faction pay and be for less TDC/CPC power. The middle faction could try to balance this.

Depending which is doing better, introducing and passing more points they could get a sort of reward. Meanwhile they could be lobbied by interest groups, either with corps handing out money or favors. This would give people in the civilian faction some sort of mechanic they have to focus on instead of just doing things to please their friends who aren't in power.
Depending which faction is doing better maybe they get more in game advertisements so they have a better chance of getting elected.

There could be more than three parties, or for better balance the left could be for smaller government control and the right for bigger. Giving more of a reason for syndies/FOE to want left, corps wanting right, and government wanting a balance.

This is just a basic proposal and I would love to see people explore the topic a bit.

John White

Citizen

Contributor
Jul 23, 2018
Reactions
17 0 0
Avalon
Enterprises
From what I remember only decent party was from LED but they always lost cause nobody liked them.
Since government now will have an important role to play, I think, faction's HC will be more involved and people might be a bit more serious.
I think we'll see more faction backed or alliance backed parties that will work towards advancing interests of those parties. It requires a working system to exploit it, so that's less reasons to not play by the rules. at least I hope so.

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Reactions
131 1 0
Terran Defense Corps
Isn't it a bit to forced, and why would anyone but CPC and TDC want higher taxes.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
351 8 1
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Isn't it a bit to forced, and why would anyone but CPC and TDC want higher taxes.
Government both local and national can provide infrastructure upgrades. To pay for those they need money, Corporations might be willing to take the temporary hit to colonial income (especially if it's paid by everyone on a colony) in order to upgrade assets.

As for political parties, some will probably exist in lore but it'll be up to players as to whether they form parties of their own. Parties are not intrinsically a part of the mechanics of government in the way that they were in FoM (to get into the government in FoM you had to be in a party) but inevitably people will join political groups to better push their political desires.

Banjo

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Reactions
131 1 0
Terran Defense Corps
So territory upgrades (what are they BTW do you have examples) are payed by the government and not the owning faction from a pool of tax money locked to that colony?

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Reactions
351 8 1
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
So territory upgrades (what are they BTW do you have examples) are payed by the government and not the owning faction from a pool of tax money locked to that colony?
Without revealing too much, and noting that everything is subject to change, territories are different from colonies:

Territory upgrades are fairly basic, better locks on doors, more efficient terminals, stuff on that level. Colony upgrades are much more expensive and fit along long term goals (and take time to 'be built') but can include adding new territories and new services as well as universal buffs to all territories.

I'm not ready to reveal the government framework and how colony ownership and administration will work in any great detail, suffice to say both the Union and Corps get their pound of flesh.