[PvE] Bounty Board

Skiy

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 12, 2017
The Syndicate
Service Points: 2
The Terran Union, while unwilling to expend resources and manpower, have always understood the threat the "Xenos" presented. Despite pressure to leave Getha and it's inhabitants to their own devices, groups of ex-military personnel and even common citizens saw opportunity where others only saw horror and destruction. The Union, not having many options decided to utilise these malcontents and glory hunters, incentivizing them with the best thing they could think of, Credits.
Hello fellow Carebears, I wanted to make a thread for a suggestion I've mentioned a few times both on the forums and on Discord. As we've seen from the latest Dev blog we know that PvE will be a thing and it actually looks like it might be more enjoyable than we thought it could be (I mean, compared to FoM, this certainly looks more entertaining to me). Due to that, I wanted to talk about the possibility of a bounty system, how it'd fit into the lore and why it'd be better than having credits drop in loot or just receving it after a kill (like how FoM did it).

So first, I believe we need an non-playable organisation that exists similar to how Dolly Inc was in FoM. You'll receive mail from this organisation, it's spoken about in the storyline but should never really be interacted with outside of that. This organisation would be "responsible" for maintaining the bounty board and ensuring contractors received their payment. The bounty board is accessible by all players and refreshes regularly offering new missions/bounties for players to accept. These bounties would, in my mind, have simple enough information such as location, objective, a time limit and the reward.

So it'd look something like this

Gertha - Kill 20 Workers - 12 Hours - 1,000 Union Credits

Once you've found a contract you think is doable, accept it and away you go. You're now on a time limit and you'll need to get your job done within it to receive your payment. Payments should be based off of the time limit plus how difficult it might be. A 6 hour contract that requires you to squash 100 bugs should pay more than a 12 hour one and even more than one for a long duration and lower difficulty.

Additionally, I propose that we make a place for "hunting teams" so that players can group up and take on significantly harder challenges together rather than trying to solo everything. I don't really think static groups are a good idea so my thoughts on it are simple.

When clicking a contract you'll bring up the details, maybe some filler lore about why the organisation wants these dead. Along with that should be an option to invite other players to participate in the contract. Players can accept the invitation and then the contract can be accepted by the leader, making it the contract for all the players involved. A team will split their reward equally amongst all participants by default and will be dissolved once the contract has been completed. This allows players to take on larger and more difficult contracts with shorter time limits for greater rewards than simply doing small time contracts solo.

The reason I think this is a better approach than just materials or credits dropping on an aliens death is for a few reasons. Materials only means that there is no financial motivation behind PvE, it'll be a grindy task that some players might do for fun or for the actual materials but it's not really a reward. If credits drop on an aliens death it not only breaks the immersion but where does that cash go? Does it go straight to a players bank account or does it drop if they die? One makes no sense and the other makes it even more risker for players to participate in PvE.

That's about it I think, I hope that was a fairly coherent read and I'd love to hear a response from everybody regardless of their view on PvE as a whole.

Reactions: Egroeg

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
Hello fellow Carebears, I wanted to make a thread for a suggestion I've mentioned a few times both on the forums and on Discord. As we've seen from the latest Dev blog we know that PvE will be a thing and it actually looks like it might be more enjoyable than we thought it could be (I mean, compared to FoM, this certainly looks more entertaining to me). Due to that, I wanted to talk about the possibility of a bounty system, how it'd fit into the lore and why it'd be better than having credits drop in loot or just receving it after a kill (like how FoM did it).

So first, I believe we need an non-playable organisation that exists similar to how Dolly Inc was in FoM. You'll receive mail from this organisation, it's spoken about in the storyline but should never really be interacted with outside of that. This organisation would be "responsible" for maintaining the bounty board and ensuring contractors received their payment. The bounty board is accessible by all players and refreshes regularly offering new missions/bounties for players to accept. These bounties would, in my mind, have simple enough information such as location, objective, a time limit and the reward.

So it'd look something like this

Gertha - Kill 20 Workers - 12 Hours - 1,000 Union Credits

Once you've found a contract you think is doable, accept it and away you go. You're now on a time limit and you'll need to get your job done within it to receive your payment. Payments should be based off of the time limit plus how difficult it might be. A 6 hour contract that requires you to squash 100 bugs should pay more than a 12 hour one and even more than one for a long duration and lower difficulty.

Additionally, I propose that we make a place for "hunting teams" so that players can group up and take on significantly harder challenges together rather than trying to solo everything. I don't really think static groups are a good idea so my thoughts on it are simple.

When clicking a contract you'll bring up the details, maybe some filler lore about why the organisation wants these dead. Along with that should be an option to invite other players to participate in the contract. Players can accept the invitation and then the contract can be accepted by the leader, making it the contract for all the players involved. A team will split their reward equally amongst all participants by default and will be dissolved once the contract has been completed. This allows players to take on larger and more difficult contracts with shorter time limits for greater rewards than simply doing small time contracts solo.

The reason I think this is a better approach than just materials or credits dropping on an aliens death is for a few reasons. Materials only means that there is no financial motivation behind PvE, it'll be a grindy task that some players might do for fun or for the actual materials but it's not really a reward. If credits drop on an aliens death it not only breaks the immersion but where does that cash go? Does it go straight to a players bank account or does it drop if they die? One makes no sense and the other makes it even more risker for players to participate in PvE.

That's about it I think, I hope that was a fairly coherent read and I'd love to hear a response from everybody regardless of their view on PvE as a whole.
There's a lot of things in this that are already potentials in the works. PVE this time around won't feel so mundane and out of place like a tacky add-on.

Story wise it'll probably be the Terran union putting out these bounties and perhaps colony owners too. There will likely be both "automated" and perhaps player made missions to deal with infestations. The payouts aren't just going to always magically appear from nowhere. A big issue is balancing the economy to avoid inflation and to have proper money sinks.

All in all this is a good suggestion and fleshing it out further will help develop more avenues of approach and better implementation of mechanics.

Skiy

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 12, 2017
The Syndicate
Service Points: 2
Story wise it'll probably be the Terran union putting out these bounties and perhaps colony owners too. There will likely be both "automated" and perhaps player made missions to deal with infestations. The payouts aren't just going to always magically appear from nowhere. A big issue is balancing the economy to avoid inflation and to have proper money sinks.
It's why I wanted it to be a sort of organisation within the TU that states it takes up a rather neutral position. One of those ice lobbyists are going to get Syndicate banned from hunting Aliens, I can feel it! :p

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
It's why I wanted it to be a sort of organisation within the TU that states it takes up a rather neutral position. One of those ice lobbyists are going to get Syndicate banned from hunting Aliens, I can feel it! :p
Corrupt politicians might allot more money.

The idea is to have the government more involved rather than just a meeting once a month that's dry.

With more player influence in the government rather than npcs, everything should feel more organic and genuine. The story team has no interest in trying to control everything, we're just trying to set up initial backstories, templates, and foundations to build upon since that's the less interesting aspects for most players. Once the game is rolling along, players will get support from the story team if asked for, not the story team forcing things onto players.

David Ord

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
May 8, 2018
Great idea mate