Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
Hello everyone,

In this thread you can ask questions regarding the development and features about the game after which staff members will answer the best they can. Keep in mind that the development is still very in its early stages, and thus some questions could possibly not be answered right at this moment. However, we will try and provide solid answers for you.

Go!

NoahKirchner

Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2017
Pittsburgh
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 0
Roughly how large will maps be? Small colonies like FoM, or larger open worlds?

What kind of weapons can we expect? A more ballistic type setting, or delving in more to the realm of lasers?

Combat? Are you going for the pizza-eating stim popping style of combat that you had with FoM, or trying something new?

Production? What sort of steps are you going to take to distinguish production here from FoM's, if at all.

Distance? Are you trying to distance yourself from FoM and make your own game that's inspired, or trying hard to recapture the spirit of FoM and all of it's mechanics?

Territory control, node based like in FoTD, colony based, or a mix of the two? Or neither?

VOIP? Do you plan on having ingame voice chat, or conducting things over discord/teamspeak like happened in the past?

Ganking? Are you going to take a stance on ganking, or allow players to deal with it as they see fit?

Moderation? What level of control will staff have over game mechanics, if any?

Attempted release date?

A rough estimation of current progress, and what is still the biggest obstacles?

Money making methods, how are you going to support servers large enough for an MMO (A feat that many game development firms even fail at, nevermind an indie team)

3d worlds? Will we be able to go inside buildings and what-not, or the mainly 1 dimensional worlds of FoM?

Green shoes, yes or yes?

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
NoahKirchner post_id=126 time=1496525323 user_id=80 said:
Roughly how large will maps be? Small colonies like FoM, or larger open worlds?
A bit of both

What kind of weapons can we expect? A more ballistic type setting, or delving in more to the realm of lasers?
Kinetic/Energy/Stun weapons confirmed for now, so pretty much both

Combat? Are you going for the pizza-eating stim popping style of combat that you had with FoM, or trying something new?
Yup, we will start off with pre-attribute patch values and combat then continue to evolve from there, although there will be mechanics, weapons and equipment that will allow other styles of combat other than the usual fomdance

Production? What sort of steps are you going to take to distinguish production here from FoM's, if at all.
I enjoyed FOTD and pre-FOTD production, I still don't have a concrete answer on this, will be focusing on eco after first testing session

Distance? Are you trying to distance yourself from FoM and make your own game that's inspired, or trying hard to recapture the spirit of FoM and all of it's mechanics?
I want the core gameplay of fom, as in factions/politics/roleplay/combat/eco but expanding the game to allow more PvE and other features without overthrowing the core

Territory control, node based like in FoTD, colony based, or a mix of the two? Or neither?
A mix of the two possibly

VOIP? Do you plan on having ingame voice chat, or conducting things over discord/teamspeak like happened in the past?
Would love to incorporate proximity based voice chat

Ganking? Are you going to take a stance on ganking, or allow players to deal with it as they see fit?
Players will deal with ganking themselves, there will be high-security areas with AI droids (walking turrets, but balanced), but with proper planning and equipment it will be possibly to eradicate the droids and kill everything on sight, no actual safe areas here

Moderation? What level of control will staff have over game mechanics, if any?
Staff will only intervene when the game is being affected negatively, if a problem can't be fixed by the players, then the staff will jump in, but this will only be on extreme cases

Attempted release date?
TBA, 2 years probably

A rough estimation of current progress, and what is still the biggest obstacles?
Combat/Inventory/Equipment/Storage/Cloning/Consumables, etc, all work over the network (Watch the gameplay video), the biggest obstacle would be incorporating the MMO part of the game, but that will happen slowly throughout time, we are in 2017, there's a lot of tools and services that can help us with that

Money making methods, how are you going to support servers large enough for an MMO (A feat that many game development firms even fail at, nevermind an indie team)
buy-to-play, premium, paid advertisements in-game (billboards, etc), cash shop with cosmetics, maybe some apartment stuff?

3d worlds? Will we be able to go inside buildings and what-not, or the mainly 1 dimensional worlds of FoM?
Yes we will be able to go inside buildings and such :)

Green shoes, yes or yes?
green shoes, blue pants and red shirt, am built

Mermer

Dweller

Contributor
Jun 4, 2017
No Faction
Will we have hard coded factions or go for more loose player formed organizations like in fotd?

What role will factions play in Mankind Reborn as opposed to FoM?

This game looks graphically intense, do you anticipate problems with player load?

Is nexeon involved with the game in any way? Do you anticipate any intellectual property disputes?

What non-combat features are you considering? Besides eco

Will you be crowd funding at some point?

Did you create these art assets or are they stock images? They're amazing

Will I be able to VONC bad R7s?

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Mermer post_id=145 time=1496615625 user_id=104 said:
Question: Will we have hard coded factions or go for more loose player formed organizations like in fotd?
Answer: We will have hard-coded factions.

Question: What role will factions play in Mankind Reborn as opposed to FoM?
Answer: It will have the same style of factions Face of Mankind had, mostly. We are still looking for suggestions as nothing is yet fixed. Government factions will be in the one faction, police and military. A mining faction as well as a production faction are confirmed.

Question: This game looks graphically intense, do you anticipate problems with player load?
Answer: Thank you, the build that we currently have so far runs smoothly and we haven't even began optimizing yet. We see no issue so far. I'm sure it'll run a LOT faster and smoother than Face of Mankind.

Question: Is nexeon involved with the game in any way? Do you anticipate any intellectual property disputes?
Answer: Nexeon will not be involved whatsoever. We will not use any assets linked to Face of Mankind.

Question What non-combat features are you considering? Besides eco
Answer: There will be a political aspect to the game. We are still discussing for more options.

Question: Will you be crowd funding at some point?
Answer: Possibly, yes, depends on other variables. At this very moment is isn't necessary as we have the funds needed to develop the game. However, donations are very welcome! Donations are used for server cost and additional non-development services such as advertisements. :oops:

Question: Did you create these art assets or are they stock images? They're amazing
Answer: Every image you have seen will be available in-game.

Question:
Will I be able to VONC bad R7s?
Answer: We haven't decided yet how we will approach regarding the selection or election of leaders within factions. More information will be available when the time comes.

CadmanEllion

Dweller

Contributor
Jun 9, 2017
Massachusetts
No Faction
Will transport be exclusive to vortex gate activity or will there be other types of transport somewhere along the line?

Is there a plan on how to get the storyline started within the community/ guidelines on how this will be done?

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
CadmanEllion post_id=291 time=1496985159 user_id=133 said:
Will transport be exclusive to vortex gate activity or will there be other types of transport somewhere along the line?
We would have to review what would be viable. As for now, vortex gates would be the only transportation between worlds and across the map. This doesn't mean other means would never be implemented.

Is there a plan on how to get the storyline started within the community/ guidelines on how this will be done?
Our storyline team, Ciaphas and BrassofArgos, are currently working hard writing down the background stories for our factions and general plot. The community also has a say in this.

Hesphos

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 6, 2017
North Star
Mining
So about that whole transportation across the map thing, does that mean there will be those annoying teleporters like in FoM?

You know the ones you could run in and out of with the 10 second cooldown, I always hated those things and it just feels like lazy map design.

Reactions: Shakespears

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Hesphos post_id=360 time=1497048552 user_id=116 said:
So about that whole transportation across the map thing, does that mean there will be those annoying teleporters like in FoM?
You know the ones you could run in and out of with the 10 second cooldown, I always hated those things and it just feels like lazy map design.
For now, yes. Until we figure out more ways for transportation. We will tweak it, though, so it wouldn't be exactly the same.

Hesphos

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 6, 2017
North Star
Mining
One more thing, I've been looking at some of the screenshots and I like the art direction it is taking environment wise but I was wondering something about the style of clothes and armour we can get.

All the art of the character models are placeholders for now but I wanted to know what range of clothing is planned for the final product. Will everything be super special snowflake science fiction or will we see more realistic mass produced clothing like cotton jumpsuits with work boots and shorts with flip flops? Or both?

Will you have the option as a faction or individual to setup your uniform to resemble 21th century clothing? (Ceremonial dress uniforms for the police/military for example or just simple cotton work clothes)

Reactions: Shakespears

RadishGamma

Advocate

Contributor
Jun 9, 2017
Civil Protection Commission
Hesphos post_id=497 time=1497262787 user_id=116 said:
One more thing, I've been looking at some of the screenshots and I like the art direction it is taking environment wise but I was wondering something about the style of clothes and armour we can get.

All the art of the character models are placeholders for now but I wanted to know what range of clothing is planned for the final product. Will everything be super special snowflake science fiction or will we see more realistic mass produced clothing like cotton jumpsuits with work boots and shorts with flip flops? Or both?

Will you have the option as a faction or individual to setup your uniform to resemble 21th century clothing? (Ceremonial dress uniforms for the police/military for example or just simple cotton work clothes)
This.

I'll be honest I kinda dislike the whole 'Star Marine Metal Plate Halo Armour' every sci-fi tends to go with, I would much rather see a grungy, industrial style.

Something along these lines with synthetic/ceramic armour over the top, it's still grounded in reality.

Something like this.. Keep the Military Green though :aok:

Kinda like we are all Frontiersmen/Colonists/Workers on the edge of space living a grungy/cyberpunk nightmare from one day to the next.

One thing FoM failed in was to nail down just what the concept was going to be, the old FoM was VERY cyberpunk and reminded me of Alien/Aliens and the original 2001 Deus Ex (which I believe was a key inspiration for the original Dev Team as it seemed to share so much aesthetically) with its very 'worn out' industrial look and style (the police uniforms were futuristic but not metal clad power armoured mechs) it gave you the impression that you were just a street cop out to do their bit for law and order, you weren't some indestructible warrior out to save the galaxy or something... Then the concept changed to the Team Deathmatch with the bright colours and frankly awful clothing design that ruined the Cyberpunk aesthetic, we moved more towards a fantasy sci-fi setting.

My personal opinion is keep the style industrial/grungy with a frontier edge to it - formal suites, trench coats for corporate looks/styles, rag tag punk outfits for the crims/street vermin and authoritarian jumpsuit clad police and soldiers for the government factions.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Hesphos post_id=497 time=1497262787 user_id=116 said:

I feel you.

We're trying to recreate the setting as realistic as possible. Or at least, how we think the universe and environment would be like in that age. Regular clothing will be available and we are going for the style [mention]RadishGamma[/mention] posted above me. That being said, highly sophisticated armor would obviously look more techy, sort of speak.

We are also looking for ways to allow players to choose their outfit without having to choose between kinetic/energy defense. This would allow the game to have a lot more variety as opposed to Face of Mankind where everyone practically looked the same, depending on which armor was the best at that time.

Short answer: Both regular and techy looks will be available.

Cammy

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
QA Volunteer
Jun 1, 2017
Scotland
Guns of the Conclave
As someone who stuck to female chars 80% of the time (and probably will continure to do so) I like that designs that radish showed

The 4th hooded design for the men (from the duez-ex lineup) would look sick if it was universal or useable for the "darker" factions I,e bos/motb, coupled with "light armour" i.e it would be really nice if there was some sort of bulletproof/Kevlar on the back-burner to incorporate in this game which has full motibility (its the future.. come on.) would make it an ideal stealthy build for people who don't want to have bulky armour, and as far as the hoodies go - it would be a pretty cool feature if for instance you held G and you were able to pull the hoodie up, so its not a constant shifty look not sure if its something do-able in the unreal engine though?

As I'm presuming there will be less mobility for effect with heavy armour?

RadishGamma

Advocate

Contributor
Jun 9, 2017
Civil Protection Commission
I also think there should be scope for a western style, long dusters with Stetson hats.

The look would suit merc and bounty hunter types out on the colonial frontier.

NoahKirchner

Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2017
Pittsburgh
Terran Defense Corps
RadishGamma post_id=513 time=1497299458 user_id=135 said:
I also think there should be scope for a western style, long dusters with Stetson hats.

See you, space cowboy?

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
NoahKirchner post_id=521 time=1497319098 user_id=80 said:
RadishGamma post_id=513 time=1497299458 user_id=135 said:

See you, space cowboy?
I still get the feels a decade later from that ending

Armitxes

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 5, 2017
Tactical HQ
No Faction
One question about the storyline, or even about the game itself.

Since its very similar to FoM, will it also continue the FoM Story with a bridge for Mankind Reborn (would be cool) or will it start a totally new/own story?

Reactions: Banjo

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Armitxes post_id=609 time=1497479791 user_id=107 said:

Since its very similar to FoM, will it also continue the FoM Story with a bridge for Mankind Reborn (would be cool) or will it start a totally new/own story?
Nothing will be linked to Face of Mankind. There's an entirely new background story written for all factions, items, colonies/worlds and game history. Our writers are working very hard on this and you'll love what you'll see — I know I do.

Mermer

Dweller

Contributor
Jun 4, 2017
No Faction
Necidious post_id=610 time=1497479866 user_id=53 said:

Nothing will be linked to Face of Mankind. There's an entirely new background story written for all factions, items, colonies/worlds and game history. Our writers are working very hard on this and you'll love what you'll see — I know I do.
I understand the need to seperate this game from FoM somewhat. But maybe there is a crashed ship somewhere...maybe it's called the Yukon...maybe people can make their own conclusions as to what that means?

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Mermer post_id=614 time=1497493927 user_id=104 said:
Necidious post_id=610 time=1497479866 user_id=53 said:

I understand the need to seperate this game from FoM somewhat. But maybe there is a crashed ship somewhere...maybe it's called the Yukon...maybe people can make their own conclusions as to what that means?
Subtle references could be possible.

Reactions: VisualAssets