Kwisatz Haderach

Game Designer

Staff member
Content Editor
Jun 14, 2017
London, UK
No Faction
Service Points: 0
Now lets come back to reality a new player isn't going just join this game and be magically good at it from the start, now maybe a few will take to the game fast but most probably won't.
As long as they can master the intricate WASD movement system and the pioneering MOUSE1 firing mechanisms within an adequate time-frame I think they'll be fine.

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Civil Protection Commission
As long as they can master the intricate WASD movement system and the pioneering MOUSE1 firing mechanisms within an adequate time-frame I think they'll be fine.
OH NOES NOT WASD, BUT MUH ARROW KEYS, TRACKBALL MOUSE, AND DELICATE POINTY FINGER.

Seriously though, if my shaking ass can still manage to deliver an above average or so quota of cloning passes, anyone can.
:smirk:

Hard Hat Harry

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Sep 8, 2017
The Syndicate
What exactly will the TDC do? It sounds like the exact same plan that FoM had for FDC, yet as we all know they had nothing to do 80% of the time.

LordAdder

Helpful Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
Oct 24, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
What exactly will the TDC do? It sounds like the exact same plan that FoM had for FDC, yet as we all know they had nothing to do 80% of the time.
Probably mop the spaceship every chance they get. Cheese just winds up in every crevice

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
We will offer enough things to do within the game world, both for player recreation and "TDC jobs" wise. Ultimately, it's up to the players themselves, and leaders specifically, to decide for which end to use the military branch of the government.

Jade Star

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 28, 2017
Avalon Enterprises
Will MR have a Linux version? Or at least work in something like Wine?

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
Will MR have a Linux version? Or at least work in something like Wine?
We have no plans expanding to Linux or Mac. Wine runs Windows applications in Linux, so yes, though we cannot guarantee its performance or stability.

ArcAngelSlayer

Clone

Alpha Tester
Patron
Aug 25, 2017
No Faction
I have fond memories of early FoM, I was in LED but really enjoyed crafting in my spare time. So hoping things aren't too rigid. If these questions are too early/not been discussed yet don't worry. Also if they've been mentioned somewhere I apologise (I've read this thread as best as I can).

Question: Classes
  1. How will you approach classes? Are there any plans to have pre-set combat or eco classes?
  2. Skill system, do you plan to have any skill systems in place? or pre-requisites to use gear?
Question: Shops
  1. I've seen player run shops mentioned, will this be a terminal in a shop space?
  2. Will it be possible for individuals to open a shop, or will it be faction level only?
  3. How will it be an accessible mechanic? Do you have ideas to stop them being bought up early on?
Question: Player Market
  1. Will there be a global market for that planet? If so what would be the benefit of opening shops, reduced rates etc?

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
I have fond memories of early FoM, I was in LED but really enjoyed crafting in my spare time. So hoping things aren't too rigid. If these questions are too early/not been discussed yet don't worry. Also if they've been mentioned somewhere I apologise (I've read this thread as best as I can).

Question: Classes
  1. How will you approach classes? Are there any plans to have pre-set combat or eco classes?
  2. Skill system, do you plan to have any skill systems in place? or pre-requisites to use gear?
Question: Shops
  1. I've seen player run shops mentioned, will this be a terminal in a shop space?
  2. Will it be possible for individuals to open a shop, or will it be faction level only?
  3. How will it be an accessible mechanic? Do you have ideas to stop them being bought up early on?
Question: Player Market
  1. Will there be a global market for that planet? If so what would be the benefit of opening shops, reduced rates etc?
Hi there!

We won't have any classes or skill system, you'll be able to equip and use the most expensive gear from day 1, what's stopping you from getting that is your economical/combat/social skills.

Players will be able to own businesses, we really haven't entered the design of the mechanics for that, just some light high level thinking, but essentially you claim buildings or areas within colonies that will allow players to sell or provide some mechanics to players in exchange for money, which a cut of that goes to the colony owner.

We can either make them claimable like territories, where people can fight for control or have them be assigned by colony owners. Also they'll be template billboards and other methods of in-game advertising that players can rent out with real money.

Personal shops/businesses will probably avoid listing costs and cover specific niches, colony markets will charge for putting the item on the market and the buyer will pay tax as well, if there's any.

Reactions: ArcAngelSlayer

Winston

Taxpayer

Nov 5, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Question about RP and immersion: One thing that always bothered me in late FoM was that every single player was carrying multiple rifles and wearing military-grade armor. Even if you were a miner/trader or a politician who doesn't take part in battles, there was no reason to go around without protection.

Is there any incentive for non-combat players to stay in civilian clothing? Maybe "secured" areas where wearing combat armor is considered agressive ?

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
The Syndicate
Question about RP and immersion: One thing that always bothered me in late FoM was that every single player was carrying multiple rifles and wearing military-grade armor. Even if you were a miner/trader or a politician who doesn't take part in battles, there was no reason to go around without protection.

Is there any incentive for non-combat players to stay in civilian clothing? Maybe "secured" areas where wearing combat armor is considered agressive ?
Bio said there won't be safe areas however armor and weapons will drop on death so it's a risk to carry full loadouts

Winston

Taxpayer

Nov 5, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Just to be clear I'm not talking about literal safe zones where nothing can happen to you, but areas like Brooklyn Mall for example with AI security that can be killed by a well organized team of players.
The idea being if you show up in a very public area fully geared and ready for combat, robo-cops will immediatly consider you as agressive/criminal.

Of course you risk losing your loadout if you die, but wearing the armor also makes you less likely to die especially if you have medkits. Few weeks into the game everyone will be able to afford armor and wear it all the time, unless there is a reason not to.

Cadonez

Enthusiast

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
Just to be clear I'm not talking about literal safe zones where nothing can happen to you, but areas like Brooklyn Mall for example with AI security that can be killed by a well organized team of players.
The idea being if you show up in a very public area fully geared and ready for combat, robo-cops will immediatly consider you as agressive/criminal.

Of course you risk losing your loadout if you die, but wearing the armor also makes you less likely to die especially if you have medkits. Few weeks into the game everyone will be able to afford armor and wear it all the time, unless there is a reason not to.
To my understanding the plan for this is to have quality armors be far too expensive and complicated to make to just be worn willy nilly. Nobody will be walking around in the best *military grade* weapons and armor simply because they could get ganked and have it stolen. This will level out with most people wearing low quality/nothing to avoid losing important stuff to the chance of being ganked. The only reason to wear quality gear is when the situation is open combat/high threat.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999

One of the TU laws will be that medium/T2+ armor will be illegal to wear in TU colonies, if you go around wearing that armor on Earth/Moon, you'll be arrested and fined, but we're still in the process of designing all that, so information is very scarce.

ArcAngelSlayer

Clone

Alpha Tester
Patron
Aug 25, 2017
No Faction
One of the TU laws will be that medium/T2+ armor will be illegal to wear in TU colonies, if you go around wearing that armor on Earth/Moon, you'll be arrested and fined, but we're still in the process of designing all that, so information is very scarce.
Love that idea!

Question: I'm a massive fan of the idea of bounty hunters (permits allowing). Like on colonies or TU worlds wide. Is a bounty system (one that is hard to abuse) something you're thinking of adding? Other than the official CPC dept. This could also work both ways for assassination contracts.