Send Coordinates Feature

Dec 24, 2017
Reactions
3 0 0
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
Hi guys,

I've been watching some of the videos of the recent tests, and I gotta say the maps look great, they seem both visually impressive and very fun to have fights in. I also noticed that they are a bit larger than what some of us are used to from FoM, and have a lot of building consisting of multiple levels (though I'm not sure yet whether they are accessible or not) which is obviously great.

I think having the ability to send current location to another player can be a fun and useful feature.
-It allows players who are not very familiar with the maps to be able to easily meet up with faction members.
-It allows gameplay around this feature (setting up ambushes for example, sending discrete cords to a squad leader only, sending good mining spots etc.)
-It can be added in as an implant, adding more versatility to the slot and setting this ability as a customization advantage.
-This ability can make use of the mini map, adding a location marker guiding the player (as we are familiar with from most RPGs).

I think you should only be allowed to send your cords to one player at a time, and perhaps have some handicaps (like being unreliable in war zones, sending a slightly altered location or something similar).

Thoughts?

Skiy

Dilettante

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 12, 2017
Reactions
60 0 0
The Syndicate
Service Points: 2
I like it, I got lost in Union City. Gonna be a lot of aggro trying to lead a training mission or something. I think it would best be made implemented as an implant, it could send a player the location of the last known position that was broadcast. I don't think it should disappear if a player vorts out or is killed. It leaves players who are blindly following it in actual danger however it also means the implant can serve as an additional way to inform a player they need backup without being on comms. I would even suggest an upgrade that does send send out the marker to an entire mission group. Not sure on Faction wide but I admit it could be valuable though, especially if you've got a rather unwieldy force at your disposal. (I'm sure I'm being far too optimistic, but I'd love to see a couple of hundred players constantly on.)

My reasoning is that not everybody wants to be on Ventrilo/Teamspeak/Discord/whatever. I'd rather people be utilising Discord or something but players won't always be in a mood to communicate in that way. Or they're squeakers and get banned from voice comms.

Edit: So I did some thinking, I definitely like it as an alternative to the /backup mechanic that was eventually implemented in FoM. As an Implant it can be used for various roles. Faction and Mission permissions could be changed to allow a player to use the implant on the channel. So rather than it being spammed in faction chat, faction HC can limit spam and such. Same with missions. Mission leaders can set who can broadcast it.

Last edited:

David Ord

Citizen

Alpha Tester
Patron
May 8, 2018
Reactions
15 0 0
Civil Protection Commission
A thought is by having the mini map in the top left corner of screen, when a call for help is given, a position indicator is sent out as a sonar ping on the map and exact position and character name in smaller font appears next the mini map

Scavy

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Feb 1, 2019
Reactions
9 1 0
I think a sonar ping with a mini - map is a great idea, I'm also reminded though of maps with several levels of elevation turning out to be a virtual hell because of its maze like structure.

Way more complicated but it would be nice to have arrows direction you around this maze to get to the person calling for help sooner. Still though the sonar ping is a good idea, promoting team work and all that. Could even work it in that people could request CPC assistance through it.

Jul 23, 2018
Reactions
12 0 0
Avalon
Enterprises
Maybe wall see through, where you can see allied units.
Make it an eye implant.
also give overlay directions, which will only main streets, or official routes. So even if there is a shortcut, you'll take a way around, thus making being familiar with area more advantageous.
Give us more of that cyberpunk feel.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Reactions
333 13 0
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
I like this and it's something that will be worked on

Spark

Taxpayer

Alpha Tester
Patron
Apr 6, 2018
Tied in a trunk of a mercedes
Reactions
26 1 2
This better be an implant and not an always on feature. I hope I'm not the only one seeing the massive ping spams that will derive if its a feature. Also as an implant other factions might use it to send fake signals for example syndicate goons baiting a cpc patrol.

Tod Maddux

Advocate

Alpha Tester
Patron
Jun 30, 2017
Reactions
646 20 4
Didnt FoM have this towards the end? I remember seeing something like this spammed in faction chat. I think if you hit X it would give the district you were in and planet.

Scavy

Dweller

Alpha Tester
Patron
Feb 1, 2019
Reactions
9 1 0
I remember something like that yeah, I think implant is better than having the ability to just turn it off in a setting. Otherwise people to turn it off and never think about it again, having an implant could mean players work to getting it and patrol planets looking to help faction mates.

CheSquattII

Dilettante

Contributor
Jul 31, 2017
Reactions
17 3 0
This was in FoM and it kinda sucked. Shrunk the game world.
if people kill you before you can type for help that's your problem.