Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
Hey guys,

What do y'all think of these new games? Shadow of Mordor is out and Battlefront 2 had its open beta, though there was a lot of controversy at launch due to its shady practices.

Shadow of Mordor for exploiting the death of an employee by selling a DLC in his name, and Battlefront 2 for its micro-transaction being tied to the progression system. However, it seems that Shadow of Mordor will now be offering the controversial DLC free of charge. I wonder why, eh?

If none of this matters to you, how is the gameplay? Is it fun? I'm still on the fence.

Thoughts?

Shakespears

Game Writer

Staff member
Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Virginia, USA
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
Hey guys,

What do y'all think of these new games? Shadow of Mordor is out and Battlefront 2 had its open beta, though there was a lot of controversy at launch due to its shady practices.

Shadow of Mordor for exploiting the death of an employee by selling a DLC in his name, and Battlefront 2 for its micro-transaction being tied to the progression system. However, it seems that Shadow of Mordor will now be offering the controversial DLC free of charge. I wonder why, eh?

If none of this matters to you, how is the gameplay? Is it fun? I'm still on the fence.

Thoughts?
Micro transactions for progression is disgusting.

The name thing, not sure about. Anyone is free to exploit my name to make money if I'm dead, not like I'll be using it anymore.

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
The Syndicate
Not really concerned with the death of an employee they tried to do a nice thing but fucked it up and then managed to semi-fix their issue.

As for Battlefront 2 fuck micro-transactions, i can still play the old battlefield 2 that now has multiplayer via steam severs and not have to deal with shit games made by EA

Reactions: Necidious

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
Micro transactions for progression is disgusting.

The name thing, not sure about. Anyone is free to exploit my name to make money if I'm dead, not like I'll be using it anymore.
Yeah, I thought the issue was that they were going to offer a % of the money gathered to the family of the deceased, but only if the purchase was made on the American continent. So if I were to pay for the DLC from Europe, they'd keep all the money. Not sure how I'd feel if I was family and some company was exploiting the death of a family member for their own gain. Oh well, it's juicy controversy.

Not really concerned with the death of an employee they tried to do a nice thing but fucked it up and then managed to semi-fix their issue.

As for Battlefront 2 fuck micro-transactions, i can still play the old battlefield 2 that now has multiplayer via steam severs and not have to deal with shit games made by EA
I must agree with this. Tying their loot-crates to the game's progression system is nothing more than a blatant money grab. It's pretty abysmal even thinking about doing such a thing.. and it's a true shame, because from what I've heard the game's actually pretty decent.

I think Angry Joe even calculated how much it'd take for someone to unlock all weapons in the game by and it'd be approx. 3600 hours and 720 loot-crates (which you don't always get, it's chance-based).

Jade Star

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 28, 2017
Avalon Enterprises
No, absolutely not I will not be giving any money to pay to win loot crates or just loot grates in general. Its funny because Battlefront 2 is a 60 dollar game + loot crates you have to buy? heck no. This game as well better not have any random loot box bullshit either, If you spend money on this crap then your contributing to the downfall of gaming. TotalBiscuit and Boogie2988 was also complaining about this and pretty much said out right its pay to win.

Reactions: HolyBejebus

TheJoker

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Sep 20, 2017
Australia
Guns of the Conclave
I played the battlefront 2 beta over the weekend great looking game and sounds were pretty good but the gameplay just felt meh to me its been done to death they need bigger maps and a larger player count. I would agree with the pay2win having high-level star cards gives an immediate advantage.

I want a planetside 2 - star wars version with the improved graphics and sounds from EA's battlefront with some of the better mechanics from Planetside 1 that would be great fun. A grand sense of scale, not pew pew fights in a street.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
I'm sorta interested in the Battlefront 2 singleplayer story. Playing an Imperial death squad sounds awesome. Ofc they'll fuck it up somehow and you'll have to join the rebels after an incredibly unlikely heel face turn. I just don't think the price of the game is worth it for 4hrs of singleplayer and a meh multiplayer.

Reactions: Necidious

Hari Seldon

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 17, 2017
Cloning
Followers of Eternity
Shadow of War has loot crates too, they are just part of big games these days not because they are required or because they add anything but because the publishers got away with getting them in the past for the sake of just making more money so it is now just part of the "necessary" ways a game can make cash on top of the up front price for certain publishers when they are considering investing in projects in the same way season passes and the like became ubiquitous. Can't really blame companies for trying everything they can to make money if there is a market that will tolerate and support it.

Personally I am not one of those willing to fork out the upfront price for either anyway because I don't care about this years Star Wars T/FPS (this time we have a full game honest) or an collect the radio towers open world game that is set in LotR for unclear reasons. I am not one of those people that gets very angry about it either though.

I'm sorta interested in the Battlefront 2 singleplayer story. Playing an Imperial death squad sounds awesome. Ofc they'll fuck it up somehow and you'll have to join the rebels after an incredibly unlikely heel face turn. I just don't think the price of the game is worth it for 4hrs of singleplayer and a meh multiplayer.
Probably a "beware perception and propaganda story" ending in an allegiance swap yes or an approach to being the bad guy that is based on being entirely over the top evil blamed on the nebulous dark side corruption rather than anything interesting. It wont chime with players and will be entirely forgettable either way because they (mostly) aren't genocidal manics and already know the empire is evil so a revelation story is meaningless to the player.

Bit of a shame because the first one did have some very pretty and well designed maps even if the actual shooter part of it was slightly sub par.

Ferin

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jun 17, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Most interesting about these modern AAA games is the PR/marketing hype and the army of fanatics that search every corner of the internet threatening to kill whoever doesn't praise their shit game.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Most interesting about these modern AAA games is the PR/marketing hype and the army of fanatics that search every corner of the internet threatening to kill whoever doesn't praise their shit game.
Same happens in every corner of life now though - look at politics both in the civilised world and outside of the UK.