Suggestion/Example for Merc Faction

Shakespears

Connoisseur

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civil Protection Commission
Service Points: 0
This is just a rough draft write up filled with suggestions for what I believe the mercenary faction should be like. It consist of an example backstory, basic rules, ranks, and departments.

Since the name wasn't decided I believe, I used [Mercenary Affinity Group] and put in within brackets to be easily switched out with another name if one's decided upon.

Backstory:

Since war first dawned upon mankind, professional soldiers have taken up arms in the name of others when rewarded properly. These soldiers became known as mercenaries although throughout history, they weren't always looked upon in positive light and it wasn't until 22nd Century that began change.

In the late 2000's into early 2100's, many conflicts throughout the world saw numerous bands of mercenaries taking to the field of battle due to ever growing Terran Union and it's Terran Defense Corps recruiting most able bodied persons into it's ranks. With the diminishing numbers of conflicting groups, mercenaries slowly started to become the majority of forces found in conflicts on all sides. Standing armies and security forces that once plagued the world all around were swiftly dying out and brought on the demand of private soldiers and their private military companies. Although many organizations were protected by The Terran Union's defenses, many sought out mercenaries as they wished to not only avoid bureaucracy but also have their objectives completely swiftly and efficiently. Long gone were the times of rag tag bands of mercenaries and the age of the private professional soldier was ushered in. There was only one major problem that came with the new age and that was organization. Time and time again, many potential contracts were lost due to conflicting existing employments until a man named Tiberius Armstrong came along. 

Tiberius and his private military company, The Adjudicators, decided rather than just finding employment for themselves, they decided that developing an entire network of mercenaries allowing them to not only complete their own contracts but to also use other companies to complete other offers they couldn't fit in, for a price of course. Over time the network grew larger but had constant internal issues between various mercenaries under it's umbrella whether it was fighting among themselves or would tarnish The Adjudicators name with senseless killings. These actions were bringing the network to The Terran Union's attention and Tiberus knew it would not be wise to end up on their bad side for long. It was due to these issues The Adjudicators no longer took new contracts but rather spent their time reorganizing their network with further discipline and expertise. Of course this was met with resistance and a power struggle ensued. Tiberius was no fool to know his network outmatched his own men so instead of trying to take them all on, he granted positions of power and prestige to mercenaries within the network in order to help sway influence and power to his side, forming what would be known as The Conclave. Once Tiberius had felt he had enough support, he declared himself Arbitrator and he used his new friends to weed out the undesirables from within the network until only those who he thought were proficient and professional to his standard remained. What was left is what became known as The [Mercenary Affinity Group].

With news of the network's internal sweep spreading far and wide and the formal recognition of the network's new name, [Mercenary Affinity Group], The Terran Union chose to not pursue ill intentions. Seeing as those who had caught the attention of The Terran Union were disposed of, The Terran Union privately congratulated The [Mercenary Affinity Group] on it's reform, not out of respect, but for the future potential use it would become to members of The Terran Union. Now that they weren't recognized as loose cannons or scum, but rather as efficient and professional private soldiers, [The Mercenary Affinity Group] quickly found itself in further employment to various parts of the world and throughout space from whoever paid top dollar as required. 

Still to this day, those that ensure that the members of The [Mercenary Affinity Group] remain professional and up to standard, are still called Adjudicators, even though their not the original men from the company. As for Tiberus Armstrong, he has made it known his time as Arbitrator is almost complete and is pushing the effort in selecting a new one to carry on his masterpiece.

Main Rules:

1 - No excessive ganking or complete loose cannons
2 - Mercenaries make money doing contracts, not faction missions.
2 - The Mercenary Faction can't control whole colonies. This is to avoid the faction acting as a whole offensively and having an income in other ways than contracts. See rule #2
3 - Rank 6 and 7 do not technically run the faction as a whole. They are to ensure policies are updated, ensure rules are being followed properly, and deal with those who fail to comply.
4 - Mercenaries can not take contracts specifically target other mercenaries. They can take a contract to defend something from an opposing contracted force that's attacking.
5 - Each Rank 6 positions can be opened to a vote by the Rank 7 at any time
6 - Rank 7 will be up for voting every 3 months served or as needed for replacement.
7- The faction can only operate as a whole in a defensive manner for self preservation. An example is the entire mercenary faction being place on Arrest/Kill on sight by another faction.

Ranks:

0 - Vulture - These nobodies can be found preying on the scraps of contracts that nobody else wants. Typically these individuals are trying to make a name for themselves in order to get any piece of some real business.

1 - Gunner - Simply put, another gun to add to the ranks. Gunners hold no real respect other being able to at least run into the fight as just another gun.

2 - Remnant - Many might see their name as being a bad thing, but within MAG it simply means they lasted long enough as just another hired gun to at least be recognized.

3 - Warhorse - Those that no only have proved their ability but also are noticed for it, rise to be known as Warhorses. With time and experienced on their side, Warhorses are the first to dive into any contract that meets their expectations.

4 - Handler - Once a knack for leadership has been established in a warhorse, they tend to find themselves being considered handlers. Their main goal is to not only get contracts for themselves, but to ensure discipline within The Freelancer Corps or as a leader of an operating cell.

5 - Entrepreneur - Reserved for those who have proven time and time again that not only they can get jobs done but can gets others to do them as well. Entrepreneurs are responsible for ensuring compliance of Handlers within The Freelancer Corps or lead a renowned operating cell.

6 - Adjudicators - In order for one to rise to Adjudicator, they must not only be respected by fellow mercenaries but also selected by a vote completed by all Handlers and Entrepreneurs. Adjudicators exist to settle disputes between mercenaries, develop new policies/amendments, and ensure MAG's reputation and professionalism is upheld. Adjudicators must renounce any leadership or membership of operating cells in order to preserve impartial views in The Conclave as a whole. They may still work on occasional contracts but their spoils of war are either stockpiled or no longer needed as their position indicates their prestige and renown. 

7 - Arbitrator - Though the position serves mostly as a figurehead, Arbitrators are tasked with overseeing Adjudicators to ensure [MAG's] values and reputation are upheld. Arbitrators are voted upon by Handlers, Entrepreneurs, and Adjudicators but must be a current Adjudicator. Arbitrators have the ability to remove Adjudicators if they're found to be compromising [MAG's] values but may not appoint new ones themselves without a vote.

Departments:

Freelancer Corps - All mercenaries not belonging to an operating cell occupy this department. Although freelancers can work separately, lines of communication are necessary to help keep information awareness at it's peak. The department also serves to keep a roster of all freelancers operating under MAG's umbrella in order to properly represent them on matters involving voting done by Handlers and Entrepreneurs. Freelancer Corps is granted 1 Handler per 20 members and 1 Entrepreneur per 40 members, each of which is voted on by all freelancers in the department.

The Conclave - All Adjudicators and Arbitrators belong to this department. It serves simply as a council that not only disputes but also helps amend MAG's regulations to keep efficient with the times. The Conclave is made up of 6 Adjudicators and 1 Arbitrator to ensure a vote among themselves can not be a tie, this amount can be amended by a vote within The Conclave. The Conclave serves as the quality control of MAG to ensure all bearing their banner do so professionally and properly.

Operating Cells - As MAG grew, so did individual organizations within it. Operating Cells are made up of at least 8 members, their leader being a handler. All Operating Cells are only approved by The Conclave's vote.

Renowned Operating Cells - The operating cells that have grown to not only prove their efficiency but also their prestige are dubbed as renowned operating cells. These cells are typically larger than regular operating cells but not always. The Conclave only selects 4 operating cells to hold this title and does so by how well they get their jobs done. 

----

As you can see from this rough draft, I feel that the mercenary faction this time around needs to have far higher standards of operation. Each mercenary is free to operate individually but can not just become a gank lord or pure loose cannon. Far too often was MOTB used as a ganker haven and didn't see as much us as mercenaries as it should.

All feedback is appreciated.

Reactions: Chip Lawrie

NoahKirchner

Enthusiast

Supporting Donator
Terran Defense Corps
Tbh, remaking MoTB under a different name with cells and the like seems like a missed opportunity. I feel like a far better story could be created if, instead of having what are essentially a bunch of groups of the most robust people, you could have a proper PMC as is advertised, and any departments inside would be created by the HC. That way you would be able to strike up deals with the entirety of the PMC as a production company, and mercs wouldn't be exclusive to everyone, if you piss off one group you could still just hire another in a confederacy like this one.

Safwan

Activist

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
there was a time in my life when i truly had the patience to read wall of texts

no more. someone TLDR this for me

Reactions: Shakespears

Crowe

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
Safwan said:
there was a time in my life when i truly had the patience to read wall of texts

no more. someone TLDR this for me
Generic merc backstory with cliché names 

Arsenic

Taxpayer

Civilian
Thank you for your suggestions, many of them overlap with ideas already considered for MAG's backstory.

Roids

Citizen

Civilian
Why would you do this for free? Nobody but game devs care about this shit

Civilian
The rules seem to be like old MOTB rules and they worked and were great. However rules are made by the R7 of each faction this includes whether or not to own colonies (I think the MOTB owning no colonies was a great thing though as they are pointless to own for MOTB) . Departments are also created this way.

Maybe you should go R7 of MOTB?

Graf Cuyval Dar

Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
This framework is a far better idea than generic disaffected ex-military like MotB was, and additionally helps minimize gankers and alts. I applaud the professionalization of the mercenary trade this would instill.

It's good to see someone who was serious about MotB and understands what the faction needs step up to write the new faction.  I shudder to think of what sort of abortion a non-MotB player would devise.

Roids

Citizen

Civilian
Graf Cuyval Dar said:
This framework is a far better idea than generic disaffected ex-military like MotB was, and additionally helps minimize gankers and alts. I applaud the professionalization of the mercenary trade this would instill.

It's good to see someone who was serious about MotB and understands what the faction needs step up to write the new faction.  I shudder to think of what sort of abortion a non-MotB player would devise.

And now if you poke your tongue upwards you will hit the prostate 

Shakespears

Connoisseur

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Roids post_id=2407 time=1499546610 user_id=240 said:
Graf Cuyval Dar said:

And now if you poke your tongue upwards you will hit the prostate 

True statement

In all seriousness, I wrote the stuff to hopefully drive the point home that mercenaries should be mercenaries. Not a rebel army, not do faction missions, and certainly not act as a whole like other factions.

Ninkazi

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
I'd like to see the new Mercenaries operate more like a unified PMC, more faction-like, with mechanics to also operate as individual cells.

I have only ever played MotB, but I agree whole-heartedly with NoahKirchner. I feel if we just copy/paste old MotB then we are missing out on some opportunities.

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Project Management
Civilian
Ninkazi post_id=2421 time=1499551533 user_id=187 said:
I'd like to see the new Mercenaries operate more like a unified PMC, more faction-like, with mechanics to also operate as individual cells.

I have only ever played MotB, but I agree whole-heartedly with NoahKirchner. I feel if we just copy/paste old MotB then we are missing out on some opportunities.

That's the plan.

Shakespears

Connoisseur

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Necidious post_id=2436 time=1499554955 user_id=53 said:
Ninkazi post_id=2421 time=1499551533 user_id=187 said:

That's the plan.

Not sure what motb you guys dealt with but the one i spent several years with had a major issue of being mercenaries due to unified actions, excessive ganking, not doing much contract work due to mission payouts, and all around acting like an anti-fdc rebel army rather than mercenaries.

A completely unified merc faction will cause issues pretty quick and will just become another combative criminal faction rather than mercenaries. Don't be surprised by me saying "I told you so" when it happens.

maxlee93

Helpful Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Great job Shakespears. :)

Cammy

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Alpha Tester
Guns of the Conclave
Merc loose cannons are a good thing.

It brings a balance of safety where CPC will have something to do, and besides... all a merc wants is to collect PP and make his e-peen bigger by being #1.

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
Since my last post on this thread was hard deleted.

Mercs working as a single organised entity doesn't work imo, having them as a medieval guild type organisation makes more sense. In this sort of organisation cells and freelancers are separate entities which follow a unified professional code of conduct. The only centralised positions are those of arbitrators and a grandmaster who acts as an overseer for the arbiters and the public face of the guild.