Tarkov style looting - Search containers & per-terminal storage

Wilbon

Citizen

Supporting Donator
Dec 20, 2018
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
Yo, so what about having tarkov style looting in MR. Not in the sense that you have to manually search chest rigs and examine every item, but just a delay on searching new containers on the world. 3-5 seconds before you can see and manipulate the contents.

It'd give slight vulnerability to those doing it, help prevent loot yoinking, and assist in a dead drop system if it ever gets added. It'd mostly kill off combat looting though but that might be a decent change for meta vs fombat.

Edit 12/23/19 - An additional related thought was, what if storage was based per-terminal instead of per-world. In fom if you went to P51, it didn't matter what part of the map you were on, anything on that planet you had access to.

Instead, what if it was further broken down so it'd matter where on that world you had storage. For instance you may have a lot of eco supplies in the storage area of a mining outpost, but in the residential area of that world have spare ammo or something.

It'd make supplying different storages purposeful and spreading stuff where it's needed most. Keeping all my eco supplies by a mining outpost is just convenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordAdder

LordAdder

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 24, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
I think I made a similar suggestion either on here (can't find it) or on the discord (too lazy to look). But I had a similar idea using a grid system for inventory management, which is cool with me. Many of the complaints about it from what I recall is that people said they would be "too busy" playing a tetris minigame during battle or something, which is strange because idk who would go into battle with a packed inventory. But who knows, I think either doing a grid system, a list, or a just a block inventory system all have their pros and cons.

Taldren

Dweller

Nov 30, 2019
United States
Civil Protection Commission
Looting shouldn't be a huge part of the combat gameplay loop. If the game allows for people to loot bodies full of loot too quickly or without risking themselves, it's a problem. I understand that wasn't the case in FoM but that was a flaw more than a feature. Escape from Tarkov does it in a clunky, inconsistent way, but something like Hunt: Showdown does it right. Looting or reviving takes several seconds, you can't move when you're doing it, and that puts you at risk. You can still attempt to do both in combat, but you did it at your own peril. If TTK is too long, or looting is instantaneous, then looting mid-combat will become commonplace and part of the meta.

Nothing screams FUN like combat that wants you to spend time looting when you should be focused on shooting and fighting.

Wilbon

Citizen

Supporting Donator
Dec 20, 2018
The Syndicate
Another good advantage of having loot be delayed by timers and potentially killing off combat looting is that it can then shift the meta so it's more commonplace for people to have gear stashes on territories.

Especially if the system ends up being where storage is based per-terminal instead of per-world (like fom was) and the delay was shorter. I've updated my main post to reflect this.

Players would be more keen to make sure that storages in nearby territories have gear so that they can resupply on-world but have to access a terminal to do so. Not every conflict may be close enough to storage terminals to resupply mid-fight that way, and not every area of a world may have pre-stocked gear.

If you couple this with some animations for looting packs and using storage terminals.

LordAdder

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Oct 24, 2017
CHICAGOOOOOO
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 1
Todd said it was stupid idea, so it's probably not gonna happen

Wilbon

Citizen

Supporting Donator