Tell me something about FoM's history.

SODANK

Dweller

May 16, 2019
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
As the title says, tell me about some things that went down in FoM. I want to be educated on the history that game has had and how players molded it.

I've recently learned that the majority of this community are returning veterans of Face of Mankind, a game I unfortunately missed out on playing. While I did get to play a little tiny bit of it on steam before its death, i never got sucked on or invested - but the impression it did leave on me was positive, I can differently see that it was a game that had charm and personality. I had a yearning desire to play the game only after it's death...But, thankfully found this project, so there's hope.

So, I wanna learn from the vets of some things that unfolded in FoM history, I wanna learn the lore players had crafted ..Of course, I could prolly just google for that info, but I wanna talk and meet some of the people that were there when [Insert event] happened.

So tell me a story, tell me anything. Though I do wanna hear specfically about big events that happened that changed up the landscape of the game, politically or mechanically. Thanks!

John White

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jul 23, 2018
Avalon Enterprises
Reactions: SODANK

SODANK

Dweller

May 16, 2019
The Syndicate
Here's all of FoM history in all it's glory
https://web.archive.org/web/20140423094410/http://wiki.fomportal.com/w/History#The_Imperial_War
(you might need to scroll up after using the link)

Here's more info, with organisations and character stories. (Thank god mine wasn't archived, it would be cringy af)
https://web.archive.org/web/20130517180627/http://wiki.fomportal.com/w/Background_Story
Well i do appreciate this, the first link does tell me a lot of the history of what went down. Honestly quite intriguing that some of these factions ended up collapsing like the Mining guild, or merging into another like the Freedom Defense corps being merged into the L.E.D after two different coups.

And just for the record, all of these are players? Right? With the exception of maybe the Dominion President, there's not a single NPC involved in this chain of events? It's all been players?

John White

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jul 23, 2018
Avalon Enterprises
Well i do appreciate this, the first link does tell me a lot of the history of what went down. Honestly quite intriguing that some of these factions ended up collapsing like the Mining guild, or merging into another like the Freedom Defense corps being merged into the L.E.D after two different coups.

And just for the record, all of these are players? Right? With the exception of maybe the Dominion President, there's not a single NPC involved in this chain of events? It's all been players?
President was a player too. well a GM.
One of the guy's elected into senate tried to kill a president once. To his disappointment president had a god mode.

SODANK

Dweller

May 16, 2019
The Syndicate
President was a player too. well a GM.
So sorta like an actor toon from EVE? In EVE they would occasionally do live events and have representatives or out right leaders of factions show up-game to do a thing. Avatars of characters in lore controlled by the company.

Also, what did a war mean for the common man that wasn't involved with any of the factions that were currently in conflict? Last time Im gonna refer to EVE in this post, but with wars in EVE....I could give a fuck less. As much as CCP hypes up these player wars, i rare see any effects or inconveniences, they don't really feel that relevant when they happen. Here in FoM however, you got some wars that reportedly were widespread across the game and not in some far ass regions on the other side of space.

You got people fighting over shit of worth like control of the game's prison, markets hubs and factory hubs. At one point i believe some Confederacy even broke off from the DOminion and took over the entire outer rim of space? Which, i assume is a sizable chunk of the game's world.

What did this all mean tho for someone not involved? What would make me love or hate the current owners of a territory that i operate in? Would it be incredibly dangerous for me if a firefight just broke out all of a sudden?

John White

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jul 23, 2018
Avalon Enterprises
So sorta like an actor toon from EVE? In EVE they would occasionally do live events and have representatives or out right leaders of factions show up-game to do a thing. Avatars of characters in lore controlled by the company.

Also, what did a war mean for the common man that wasn't involved with any of the factions that were currently in conflict? Last time Im gonna refer to EVE in this post, but with wars in EVE....I could give a fuck less. As much as CCP hypes up these player wars, i rare see any effects or inconveniences, they don't really feel that relevant when they happen. Here in FoM however, you got some wars that reportedly were widespread across the game and not in some far ass regions on the other side of space.

You got people fighting over shit of worth like control of the game's prison, markets hubs and factory hubs. At one point i believe some Confederacy even broke off from the DOminion and took over the entire outer rim of space? Which, i assume is a sizable chunk of the game's world.

What did this all mean tho for someone not involved? What would make me love or hate the current owners of a territory that i operate in? Would it be incredibly dangerous for me if a firefight just broke out all of a sudden?
Well I was an ecoer, for me depending on who controlled the planet I would either be able to use it or be crippled by taxes there. War was good otherwise as I would be able to sell my stuff. As for neutral people, they might get shot if there in a bad spot, but that's rare as combat teams of the warring faction communicate and call targets to focus on opposing team.
Other than taxes it didn't much matter who controled the colony. well sometimes so factions would come up with some rules like, EC coming up hunting permits to hunt aliens and they would kill if you didn't buy one.
The game had only 7 factions, so even if there was war only between 2 of those others were usually somehow involved. like GoM going in with medguns and healing everybody preaching peace, or LED or FDC going when it wasn't their business and locking the place down.
The content was driven by players so if HC of one faction saw that two others were warring while their members were just being bored they would find a way to get involved.

SODANK

Dweller

May 16, 2019
The Syndicate
or LED or FDC going when it wasn't their business and locking the place down.
Speaking of the LED and FDC, did these two factions have any unique strengths that made them actual factions of authority? If I'm not mistaken, these are the only two factions that are officially agencies of the Dominion government. So what did these groups have that sold that to the player base? If at all. Of course, there are countless times, especially at the bottom of this timeline of wars, of the player base defying the authority it seems.

But what did they have that the other factions didn't? What would make a faction reconsider fucking with the army or police?

Safwan

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 1, 2017
Civil Protection Commission
I was quite important in FoM history. If I say so myself.

Safwan

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 1, 2017
Civil Protection Commission
Well I'd love to hear more about your background. What exactly were you doing back in FoM?
Forum warrioring, mostly.

Jade Star

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 28, 2017
Avalon Enterprises
You have to be the only person to give a shit what a bunch of social rejects did in a old dead game, huh interesting.

Reactions: spobely

Viper

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 28, 2017
Terran Defense Corps

It depends on what you mean by “common man” for the corporations it usually means more business, or a chance to offer exclusive deals to one faction. For mercs it meant getting paid. For LED/FDC it meant to be more aware and make sure no fighting happens on earth colonies, and etc.

Also I don’t remember how exactly the market/eco system worked so I could be wrong, but I’m sure when a faction holder owns a colony they make money on things being sold on there, and those things usually have a tax on them so they earn money. To the common man they could see a raise in prices if they were a buyer and bigger taxes on sellers, on the warring factions’ colonies.

Oh and more beef.

Jun 14, 2019
No Faction
Here's all of FoM history in all it's glory
https://web.archive.org/web/20140423094410/http://wiki.fomportal.com/w/History#The_Imperial_War
(you might need to scroll up after using the link)
I just discovered this game was being made, and I specifically made an account just to comment that I was there when that December 2009 stuff went down. I remember vividly the discussion (TS3 I think we were using, this is going back a while) when we decided to join with EC (I was some R4 BoS from memory). Everyone was kinda getting shitty with the police-man government faction guys since they were pretty annoying. I even have old screenshots of us fighting the cop-dudes to get into the senate room.

Good times man. Then it all fell apart.

Reactions: Necidious

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
Oda Zaibatsu
Service Points: 2400
At one point i believe some Confederacy even broke off from the DOminion and took over the entire outer rim of space? Which, i assume is a sizable chunk of the game's world.
Gianni Liebhart, one of the two founding fathers of the Confederacy, at your service. :cap:

Winston

Taxpayer

Nov 5, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
But what did they have that the other factions didn't? What would make a faction reconsider fucking with the army or police?
The LED (police faction) was the only faction in the game with the power to arrest players. You had a crime & punishment system in the game where if you attacked someone or were searched with illegal items in your inventory you would get penalty points. The LED officers could then stun you with non-lethal weapons and arrest you, teleporting you immediatly to the prison colony.
In reality it wasn't a really great mechanic because prison was really boring, only way to get out was to work off your penalty points by waiting, shooting rocks with a mining gun, or have some of your friends break you out by force. That means raiding the prison which was always guarded by the LED. That was actually fun since you had to fight your way through the cops and hack doors to get from the public entrance to the prisoners area.

About the FDC, I don't remember them having any specific power. They just played their role as the Dominion military when other factions started shit outside of Earth and sometimes assisted LED. They did have a private base that was only accessible by their own members, the spaceship Yukon. But sometimes traitors in their ranks would sell tickets to the spaceship so surprise raids did happen from time to time.

Those two factions were often the first choice for new players so they had good numbers too. When the game wasn't dead.

EDIT: Oh and I almost forgot... For most of the game (which had like 4 different iterations over the years), Earth was littered with these automatic turrets that would instantly stun you if you pulled out a weapon. If you kept your weapon unholstered after stun they would kill you. Those turrets were destructible but it required a group of players with a bit of coordination.

ChexGuy

Dweller

Supporting Donator
Jun 1, 2017
The Syndicate
for a good chunk of time (2009-2012 I think?), the FDC's ship wasn't even accessible to anyone but them. they always had a safehold to fall back to when every other faction didn't.

prison raids were some of the most fun things to do, and a lot of the time breaking people out wasn't the goal lol

Chip Lawrie

Lead Game Writer

Staff member
Jun 1, 2017
Manhattan
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 800813
prison raids were some of the most fun things to do, and a lot of the time breaking people out wasn't the goal lol
I think you'll find that civil wars were the most fun things to do.....

spobely

Dweller

Jun 11, 2017
No Faction
A few pieces of the people who largely influenced the veteran culture behind Face of Mankind, BUILT.

based comment: R.I.P M8 GUNBA (DIED IN FLOOD WATERS ) WE ALL RESPECTED YOU WE WILL MISS YA PEACE

So much of our playstyle, the way we talked to eachother, the way the community still talks to eachother is because of Built. Most of the good fighters in the game emulated their customs, and broke out of strict roleplaying styles as the game got older. While it may have been the death knell for roleplaying as the previous generations of players knew it in FoM, imo the "built culture" made the game a lot more fun

BUILT had a magnified effect on the entire community, and if most of them were still around would call me a spastic for pointing this out like a fucking nerd. And thats part of the culture that made it so great. They took nothing that seriously other than being a good fighter and it made for a lot of entertainment. consider:

ferin/roids/gunba/Anthony Kenta/evilbeefmarine/tornadium(?)/jakefolkoff were all built iirc among lots more im forgetting

also amusing that the whining about Built and how it affected "RP" in the game continues in to the present day. Most of the old time RP'ers made the game fucking boring. Conflict is what face of mankind was really about, and RP that went beyond that was cool, but people went over the top with out of conflict RP and thought that that style of RP was the end all be all of RP. It attracted a very certain type of combat-averse player which by the time Built showed up, had populated the game. To this day people like them still cry about it. Built was only around for a short time in FoM, but it had a huge effect on the community that you can still see today.

The built culture permanently transformed the community and made the more combat-apt players less RP constrained. Most of us became friends (if we weren't already) because of shared values of how the game should be. The heavy out of combat RP players did not agree, and it made for two sides of the community, at least when I was deep in to the forums of mankind. Back then I could pretty accurately name out most of the "friend groups" that existed in the community and I knew who was a fighter and who wasn't, who was an RP lord and who was a shitposter etc.

having a girlfriend is way better though

If BUILT was a song, it would be Guns and Pork

I still miss Anthony Kenta's forum signature.

Last edited:
Reactions: BioXide