This community isn't even toxic

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Project Management
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
I was quite toxic but then I became a made man.

As Cad said, the $35 wall is keeping most of the toxicity out, which is one of the main reasons it's there at the current moment, or else we would be swarmed.

• Love
Reactions: Pablo Hernandez

DM 887

D
hqdefault.jpg

SODANK

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
Is that Bio?

Looking kinda cute, not gonna lie

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Project Management
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
stop derailing the thread u degenerates

Reactions: SODANK and Wilbon

Myth

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
I think as a new player it is difficult to understand or easy to miss that the current player base is mostly made of the relatively small community that started almost two decades ago in FoM, thus it is somewhat inevitable that most players know each other to some degree, this encourages some interactions between players that might be initially perceived as toxic for someone who has just joined the game, I guess if you start building from here it will be easier to enjoy the experience that this game and community offers.

In fact, despite all the criticism for toxicity over the years, the only time I have seen the community actively kill new players for no ingame reason to deter them from continuing playing FoM was the Guardians of Mankind, even went as far as to record it and post it on a well known streaming platform, but that was a very limited and small part of the community.

Banjo

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
I think as a new player it is difficult to understand or easy to miss that the current player base is mostly made of the relatively small community that started almost two decades ago in FoM, thus it is somewhat inevitable that most players know each other to some degree, this encourages some interactions between players that might be initially perceived as toxic for someone who has just joined the game, I guess if you start building from here it will be easier to enjoy the experience that this game and community offers.

In fact, despite all the criticism for toxicity over the years, the only time I have seen the community actively kill new players for no ingame reason to deter them from continuing playing FoM was the Guardians of Mankind, even went as far as to record it and post it on a well known streaming platform, but that was a very limited and small part of the community.
Are you referring to this new player killing? I feel like that was warranted given the intention of the new player group.

Reactions: WintersFrost

Myth

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
Are you referring to this new player killing? I feel like that was warranted given the intention of the new player group.

Yes, that is the video I was referring to, I did not remember all the details.

I feel a group of new players can have whatever reason they want to come into the game, within reason. Materializing their objectives is another matter, most likely either they will end up giving up on the game or becoming engaged enough with the game to fulfil, either completely or partially, those objectives.

I think that if they had the chance to experience the normal flow of things, it would have taken them little time to realize that attacking everybody would have resulted in a "Kill On Sight" from most factions, that they would be kicked from most factions almost immediately or that they would have needed to organize somehow to get UC, gear and supplies to continue their fights, among other things.

But they did not have the opportunity to experience any of that and neither we had the opportunity to let the game benefit from a potential influx of new players from a well known public forum, due to what I believe was a bad decision orchestrated by the Guardians of Mankind, which was basically to target them indefinitely from the beginning, not even for ingame reasons.

If anything, I think that video represents a lack of judgement and sense of proportion of a small part of our community back then.

Last edited:

Banjo

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
Yes, that is the video I was referring to, I did not remember all the details.

Objectively speaking I feel a group of new players can have whatever reason they want to come into the game, within reason. Materializing their objectives is another matter, most likely either they will end up giving up on the game or becoming engaged enough with the game to fulfil, either completely or partially, those objectives.

I think that if they had the chance to experience the normal flow of things, it would have taken them little time to realize that attacking everybody would have resulted in a "Kill On Sight" from most factions, that they would be kicked from most factions almost immediately or that they would have need to organize somehow to get UC, gear and supplies to continue their fights, among other things.

But they did not have the opportunity to experience any of that and neither we had the opportunity to let the game benefit from a potential influx of new players from a well known public forum, due to what I believe was a bad decision orchestrated by the Guardians of Mankind, which was basically to target them from the beginning, not even for ingame reasons.

If anything, I think that video represents a lack of judgement of a small part of our community back then.
I think your judgement is a bit to harsh and seems to be based on some assumed and probably non existing flaws.
As you say yourself you have forgotten the details, which mean you don't have the grounded data to make such a detailed statement on why they were wrong.
I personally didn't take part of this event so I literally have no idea how things went down except for what people shared on the forum. Regardless it is very clear that this is a rather special case, that doesn't reflect the normal behavior. Thus we can't use it as an example for the general state of conduct.

Edit:
But perhaps this goes to underline the intention of your original post

Myth

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
I think your judgement is a bit to harsh and seems to be based on some assumed and probably non existing flaws.
As you say yourself you have forgotten the details, which mean you don't have the grounded data to make such a detailed statement on why they were wrong.
I personally didn't take part of this event so I literally have no idea how things went down except for what people shared on the forum. Regardless it is very clear that this is a rather special case, that doesn't reflect the normal behavior. Thus we can't use it as an example for the general state of conduct.

Edit:
But perhaps this goes to underline the intention of your original post

It does not really matter knowing all the details nor discussing who was wrong or right, that was not my point really, nor using the video as an example that the community is toxic, in fact, rather the opposite, that the video might contribute to that wrong perception, I think what matters is how that video represents the community to someone interested in the game with little to no knowledge about it.

With the context that the video provides, which is the context someone interested in the game will have or will bother to have, It does look like fully geared veteran players annihilating new players with no armor that do not even know how to fight back or have the option of fighting back, ambushing them at spawn points, for completely out of game reasons and motivations, all occurring over the course of a single day, as stated in the end of the video.

In the end, I feel it shows part of the community showing a disproportionate display of force and very actively preventing a group of new players from even learning the mechanics or getting somehow familiar with the game because of a disillusional objective of becoming kings of the ashes, and the possibility of shaping the world in the way the player wants was one of the basic premises of the game.

Banjo

Advocate

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Terran Defense Corps
... what matters is how that video represents the community to someone interested in the game with little to no knowledge about it.

With the context that the video provides, which is the context someone interested in the game will have or will bother to have, It does look like fully geared veteran players annihilating new players with no armor that do not even know how to fight back or have the option of fighting back, ambushing them at spawn points, for completely out of game reasons and motivations, all occurring over the course of a single day, as stated in the end of the video.
Let's be honest if you didn't find it or bother to look for it, despite knowing the event, someone new also won't. Even if they did I believe that they wouldn't really connect the dots (Because they probably shouldn't), between an old video of an old game and this Game. Not only is it a "different game" but it is also a very long time ago. + the video paints these people not as "new players" but as the "trolls"/"bad guys".

It does not really matter knowing all the details nor discussing who was wrong or right, that was not my point really, nor using the video as an example that the community is toxic, in fact, rather the opposite, that the video might contribute to that wrong perception, I think what matters is how that video represents the community to someone interested in the game with little to no knowledge about it. ...

In the end, I feel it shows part of the community showing a disproportionate display of force and very actively preventing a group of new players from even learning the mechanics or getting somehow familiar with the game because of a disillusional objective of becoming kings of the ashes, and the possibility of shaping the world in the way the player wants was one of the basic premises of the game.
Sure I won't take away your opinion/"analysis", just pointing out to readers that it is not based on grounded data.

Myth

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Civilian
Let's be honest if you didn't find it or bother to look for it, despite knowing the event, someone new also won't. Even if they did I believe that they wouldn't really connect the dots (Because they probably shouldn't), between an old video of an old game and this Game. Not only is it a "different game" but it is also a very long time ago. + the video paints these people not as "new players" but as the "trolls"/"bad guys".

Sure I won't take away your opinion/"analysis", just pointing out to readers that it is not based on grounded data.
To be fair, I think you are entirely missing my point.

And, of course it is my oppinion, this is a public forum and I deliberately used statements to emphasize that fact in case it was not obvious enough, based on your logic you might aswell remind our audience that the sky is blue.