CadmanEllion

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 9, 2017
Massachusetts
The Syndicate
Service Points: 0
While I didn't get to play much, I did make a few observations that maybe need to be looked at. Some of this is probably personal taste, but suggestions are suggestions.

First thing was the goals of this test. From my understanding, the goals of this test were to test the production and mining systems as well as combat. It took about 3 testing sessions to figure out how to put something together. I obviously get it now, and I don't think that there needs to be any changes to how ecoing works. If it works as intended, its a pretty solid system and adds opportunity for more specialization in Economic fields.

Second thing, Every time i got on, 1-3 people were on. Doesn't really help me figure this stuff out faster. (s/o to DeViper for telling me how to get off world without killing myself)

Third, I felt that for the purpose of small pre-alpha tests like these, testing features should have been easier. Because to be quite honest, between watching the videos from the fights, and seeing the potential for the ecoing, both of these could work as is. This is of course if there are no bugs and if there are, that they can be replicated and identified and dealt with. But its harder to identify failures if you can't run through the mining and production systems enough times during the testing session.

There's nothing else I can really comment on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kuuwahi

Kuuwahi

Dilettante

Feb 27, 2018
Union City Lower
Followers of Eternity
Thank you for your suggestions.

Just to confirm, the 'Clones Online' in the top right corner currently displays the number of people on that world, not the entire game.

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
Thank you for the feedback, we intentionally made this test a lot harder just to see how players would react to the mechanics in place, we know it was a bit too hardcore for players to get invested into, upcoming tests will be a lot easier to get into and less time consuming, would love to hear more feedback from players about the test!

Here's some videos I recorded from my laptop:

Last edited:

SnowDubz

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Aug 21, 2017
The Syndicate
Didn't get the chance to play nearly as much as I wanted, and it was a GRIND. That being said, I anticipate the opening of the game will be that way until factions can establish themselves.

Anyways, I enjoyed the levels, can't wait to see them more complete. Definitely achieved the aesthetic I was hoping for. All in all, game felt good, ping was consistent, and everything worked as expected.

Doing great so far, can't wait for the next test. You seem to be full steam ahead! Oh lastly, using steam has been fantastic, love the small updates as opposed to the previous tests.

CadmanEllion

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 9, 2017
Massachusetts
The Syndicate
Thank you for the feedback, we intentionally made this test a lot harder just to see how players would react to the mechanics in place, we know it was a bit too hardcore for players to get invested into, upcoming tests will be a lot easier to get into and less time consuming, would love to hear more feedback from players about the test!

Here's some videos I recorded from my laptop:

I honestly don't think it was too hardcore. For 1 person? yes. For an organized group of individuals working together towards a common goal? Absolutely not. Once more players come online at once, get in Discord, and start working together and getting to know their future faction mates, the way production worked in this test should work beautifully.

FinalPixie

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Mar 1, 2018
Civil Protection Commission
I literally had to create a list in Notepad just to craft stuff. It was VERY complicated in which I missed so many materials and had to go over loading screens again and again to get them, that is if the game doesn't freeze (World Crash). But after the pistol 'beefing' incident and everyone getting stuck in the Cloning facility, I decided to give up on crafting.

On the other hand I was glad to have pointed out a few bugs and meet people from the previous game.

capseaslug

Taxpayer

Supporting Donator
Jul 29, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
I literally had to create a list in Notepad just to craft stuff. It was VERY complicated in which I missed so many materials and had to go over loading screens again and again to get them, that is if the game doesn't freeze (World Crash). But after the pistol 'beefing' incident and everyone getting stuck in the Cloning facility, I decided to give up on crafting.

On the other hand I was glad to have pointed out a few bugs and meet people from the previous game.
Appreciate the feedback, we will be working to implement more helpful UI elements and make the overall experience easier to grasp and work with as we move forward; so i appreciate the precise feedback!

bmurph101

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
May 11, 2018
No Faction
I dunno; for something that was intended (I think) to excite people about the game I found it very lacking. I would have thought you would have made almost everything as accessible and easy to acquire as possible, so people could feel what the game actually felt like.

My experience was:

- Loaded in naked
- Had 250 + ping (I live in Las Vegas)
- Saw I didn't even have some sort of starter weapon (like a knife)
- Watched tutorial video someone posted, saw I had to grind missions for something that was a week long
- Logged out

I'm not trying to bash or bag on anything or anyone; I understand what Early Access is, what it means, and what it often entails. But I'm not trying to grind for a couple hours for something that's only a few days long. I was really looking forward to logging in, scrapping against some people to see how the combat/gameplay mechanics felt, and that's about it. All the extra "fluff" and stuff didn't concern me.

So yeah; I was kinda disappointed that I didn't get to really see what the game had to offer. I'm glad other people got to enjoy it, and I'm optimistic that future test sessions will have a lot more ease of access considering they're simply test sessions. But for this particular session I was underwhelmed.

Delan

Game Designer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Nov 8, 2017
Germany
Followers of Eternity
Service Points: 5
Mankind Reborn is, at this point, nowhere near being an Early Access titel. It's in heavy development and this was a Pre-Alpha test version you got your hands on. The main purpose of these Pre-Alpha test is to test the mechanics that are in place and to discover bugs or flaws.

So yeah, it wasn't a simple test session like other Games have shortly before some kind of release. It's still ways to go to get ready for Alpha, not to mention about Beta.

I hope i could clarify it bit.

WunTap

Dweller

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 9, 2017
UAE, Dubai
No Faction
My ping was around 300ms so hopefully there'll be better servers in the future. Best moments was the team fights we had at Union City. Good job guys! Cant wait for the upcoming test sessions!

Necidious

Community Manager

Staff member
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Antwerp, BE
No Faction
My ping was around 300ms so hopefully there'll be better servers in the future. Best moments was the team fights we had at Union City. Good job guys! Cant wait for the upcoming test sessions!
Improving our network is one of our top priorities.

Tron

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Dec 15, 2017
Guns of the Conclave
First I would like to say that I had a lot of fun in this test and it shows a lot of potential for this game.

I was very excited to get in and test out all the mechanics and spent about 40 to 50 hours in game during the test. Most of this time was spent crafting and mining. Although it was grindy for one person to try to make everything, I could tell that if I was coordinating with a group of people it would have been a lot easier. I would like to focus my feedback on Eco , Combat , Locations, and New Player Experience..

Eco:

Even in this raw pre-alpha the Eco was fleshed out and I found some of my favorite weapons like the peacekeeper and frontiersman. I think it was a little monotonous going from production terminal to module market terminal when I forgot a certain resource or PMOD. There seem to be plans to get away from PMOD's which is a step in the right direction.

I also want to talk about the beginner contracts and how I think they could be improved. In the Pre-Alpha test, you could constantly take the same contract and do it over and over to make some starter money. I did this by going to industrial and running back and forth between the Spaceport and the public service terminal over and over until I had a good amount of credits. I used the contracts for every 50 resources I mined as well to continue to make money while I mined more resources.

I'm sure when the game releases this will be different. I suggest that there be one tourist contract for each zone (industrial, lower, leisure etc..) that instead of going to one place, it leads you around the map showing all the different areas of interest, rewarding you more when you complete it.

Other contracts should tier up and then stop. For example have mining on Mars/UC Lower/Aurora tier up from 50/100/200. You could do the same for the kill contracts and the production contracts.

I would also like to see storage be upgradeable to a certain extent. I did some heavy mining and when I had about 150 or 200 of each resource my storage was already full and I had to store in a different zone. People are going to grind and farm and there needs to be sufficient storage to enable them to keep all their resources.

I feel like there should be different quality production terminals on different planets. Like for example if you wanted the best quality guns you would craft on Mars, but if you wanted good first aid or drugs you would do it on earth etc..

I also feel like there should be a way to get credits from killing aliens. I don't like the idea of aliens dropping straight credits though. I think they should either drop alien parts or something that you can sell, or create a gun like the mining laser that is made for harvesting alien corpses.

Combat:

Combat was definitely my favorite part of the test even though there was not much of it. I did mostly consensual duels with people and it really did feel like Fombat.

Hunting aliens also felt rewarding. Those little guys are actually a threat and made me think about where I went and how close I wanted to get to them. I think that right now the aliens are a little too deadly. Once they aggro you, there is no way to get them off you unless you shoot them enough so they run away or kill them. I feel they should have some sort of leash range but I'm not sure how far it should be.

Locations:

Earth - I spent most of my time in Industrial and UC lower only going to leisure once or twice. The city and map design is looking great. I feel UC Lower could have some improvements. I believe the big bank area was called Westbank Exchange or something. I found it pretty tedious that the storage terminals were on the top floor and that there should be more storage terminals in the exchange building closer to the first floor or even on the first floor.

Mars - Loved the look of mars and the background art there. Hopefully it will be expanded to not just a mining area in the future. I would like to be able to go explore some Martian landscapes hopefully it will be as big as aurora at some point.

Aurora - Has so much potential. Was exploring this area and there is a lot to see and a lot of aliens to kill. I'd like to see more outposts and POI's. Maybe even have harvestable items around like organic material/alien material. Something worth exploring the area and clearing out the aliens.

New Player Experience:

This is a big one and I hope there is some thought put into it early on in development. In most full loot PVP games there is little attention placed on the NPE. Games like Darkfall/Albion/ Mortal online just throw you in and have you craft some items and set you on your way. My ideal NPE for this game would be a starter map you would load into before cloning. It would start with the basic controls and show you how to craft and equip a weapon and have you fight an alien or two. Then it lead you to a room with a NPC representative of each faction. Each representative would give you a brief explanation of the faction and give you a starter quest "contract" to start you on your way in your faction. Once you have selected your faction and complete your beginner contract you are able to buy your ticket to Earth.

Reactions: WunTap and Delan

BioXide

Founder

Staff member
Lead Developer
Management
Jun 1, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon
Guns of the Conclave
Service Points: 999999
Awesome, keep the feedback coming, the more details the better as we'll have more data to craft a better experience for the next testing session and the game in general

Ferin

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jun 17, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
I'm going to have a Todd Maddux moment and say I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far.

A few observations on the videos bioxide linked.

The moving animations generally look okay but strafing and crouching look rife; as if you are meerkat popping up from a hole.

The aliens look unique but I think you will have missed an opportunity if you don't make their home world, or at least their lair, look scary. Making the world darker and less lusciously full of greenery can add to an atmosphere.

Combat looks as I would expect so optimistic for an improved version of FoMbat. I'm a little concerned that the maps seem to have a lot of wide open spaces, perhaps there can be small side streets, and I assume there will be boxes/terminals/random objects, that can negate the openness otherwise zergs and numbers will be a large factor on combat.

Will the map/compass in the top right be a fully functional map with building outlines? I think it would be better if landmarks were on the map and no building outlines so people can have an idea of where things are but they still need to learn the map, perhaps landmarks can be selected to create GPS like system so new players can know roughly where they go.

Some of the previous posts suggest there was a grind for gear or money to be properly involved in the E3 playtest. I suggest for further marketing events you think clearly about what aspect of the game you want to demonstrate. I. E. Cops vs gangs RP, military exercises RP, outer rim corporate wars etc and develop a controlled experience to showcase.

Cadonez

Activist

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
My only concern is combat being slightly too fast. There is no opportunity to really recover from taking damage in group fights. I think armor and damage values are fine, I would just increase the regen to where not taking damage for 6 or so seconds with a full loadout popped should bring you back from near death.

Tod Maddux

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
My only concern is combat being slightly too fast. There is no opportunity to really recover from taking damage in group fights. I think armor and damage values are fine, I would just increase the regen to where not taking damage for 6 or so seconds with a full loadout popped should bring you back from near death.
Yeah its not fair that people are hitting shots on you, they should add an RNG chance of weapons jamming or maybe armor that gives negative crit chance to would be attackers.

Cadonez

Activist

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 29, 2017
Brumpapa
The Syndicate
Yeah its not fair that people are hitting shots on you, they should add an RNG chance of weapons jamming or maybe armor that gives negative crit chance to would be attackers.
I guess it’s RIP to Tax Return Tod.
My point is if people start missing shots, they should be penalized. Chaining needs to be encouraged. Even healing to 100% out of combat takes a solid amount of time. Slower combat rewards skill, as I recall in the best balanced combat halfclipping was the reward for 100% accuracy. With full drops faster FPS style combat doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Egroeg

Tod Maddux

Enthusiast

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
I guess it’s RIP to Tax Return Tod.
My point is if people start missing shots, they should be penalized. Chaining needs to be encouraged. Even healing to 100% out of combat takes a solid amount of time. Slower combat rewards skill, as I recall in the best balanced combat halfclipping was the reward for 100% accuracy. With full drops faster FPS style combat doesn't fit.
All I hear is a FotD player wanting to ruin combat.

Reactions: WunTap