What is the gameplay type of GotC

Banjo

Helpful Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 0
In a previous post it was suggested to implement a territory feature for the "clans" to drive their main gameplay loop. The "clans" includes FOE, SYN and GOTC. I postet in said thread that GOTC should not own any colonies or territories, to which arguments were made that the faction would not be viable to play without colonies/territories. While economic balance is important for fun, I believe it is more critical to define what type of gameplay each faction evolves around, as balance is really just a matter of adjusting mechanics in their gameplay.
I suggested that there should be 4 types of factions with their own gameplay styles: goverment type, corporation type, clan type and mercenaries.
These 4 types would have their main competitive goals within their own system.
As an example I used the proposed the territory suggestion to show that you could have, Corps fight corps over colonies, clans fight clans over territories, the government trying to be the lawfull balance divider and main protagonist while the mercs would be the economical balance divider.
My main argumentation was that making mercs be part of the clan gameplay loop, would not add anything or even worse have all factions compete over colonies.

This was a short summary, the discussion came at a bit of a bad time for me, and I will add to the conversation later on.
I invite all to participate with their thoughts and feelings on the mater, and feel free to copy paste your comments from the previous thread on to here, as to keep it more organized.

Reactions: arav

Pablo Hernandez

Dilettante

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 13, 2017
Founders Penthouse, Mars.
Guns of the Conclave
We already gave our thoughts and responses in the other post. All of your suggestions are shit. Focus on TDC so it doesn't end up like FDC 2.0, Good Day Sir.

Banjo

Helpful Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
We already gave our thoughts and responses in the other post. All of your suggestions are shit. Focus on TDC so it doesn't end up like FDC 2.0, Good Day Sir.
Aaah now I see.
Me shit, you good.

Sawyer Anderson

Dilettante

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Sitka, Alaska
Oda Zaibatsu
Aaah now I see.
Me shit, you good.
Everyone is currently looking at tu and all they can see is y'all trying to force mechanics because your afraid your gonna get stomped you can't hard lock content just like you can't hard stop the economy as bio has mentioned as you risk the game

Reactions: Tan

Banjo

Helpful Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Everyone is currently looking at tu and all they can see is y'all trying to force mechanics because your afraid your gonna get stomped you can't hard lock content just like you can't hard stop the economy as bio has mentioned as you risk the game
I understand that you may think I'm biased because I've a TDC logo on my account, but mercs is my favorite faction and was the faction I spend most of my time in(pre FOTD), and was part of BC for a long time aswell. MOTB has a special place in my heart which is why I'm so interested in it not becoming another power ranger faction. The only reason why I probably won't be playing as a merc again is because I pretty much stopped playing video games after FOM and probably can't aim for shit.
I'm not trying to make the faction horrible and I'm not trying to necessarily hard lock it. As it was said in the other thread, yes, it could be soft locked. The important aspect for me is that Mercs shouldn't have to rely on colony ownership or ecoing to exist. Mercs should be allowed to be mercs and do merc stuff, why the fuck else would you have it as a faction.
If you want all factions to be equal and all compete the same way what is the reasons for these 8 arbitrary factions, it would all be useless. The whole concept of the factions would fall apart.
For me as an old merc it sounds insane that it seems like you want to run it like an eve corp, heck I even herd there is an eco department. Like what the fuck.

Also I want to add, that it is ridiculous that people already are being so emotional about their statements, when the game is still in pre-alpha and there is hardly no faction mechanics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hepopotan

PhoenixMask

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jun 2, 2017
The Syndicate
Also I want to add, that it is ridiculous that people already are being so emotional about their statements, when the game is still in pre-alpha and there is hardly no faction mechanics.
Releasing this alpha with factions and assigning ranks to people is a huge mistake imo. There is barely any info on planned faction mechanics, yet some tryhards are so invested in their faction/rank already that they won't bother discussing from a neutral point of view anymore.

Pablo Hernandez

Dilettante

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 13, 2017
Guns of the Conclave
Releasing this alpha with factions and assigning ranks to people is a huge mistake imo. There is barely any info on planned faction mechanics, yet some tryhards are so invested in their faction/rank already that they won't bother discussing from a neutral point of view anymore.
More of, I've tried discussing it from a neutral point of view and everyone else got pissy so I just don't bother trying to discuss it anymore. all of these posts are repetitive anyways.

Pablo Hernandez

Dilettante

Golden Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 13, 2017
Guns of the Conclave
I'm not trying to make the faction horrible and I'm not trying to necessarily hard lock it. As it was said in the other thread, yes, it could be soft locked. The important aspect for me is that Mercs shouldn't have to rely on colony ownership or ecoing to exist. Mercs should be allowed to be mercs and do merc stuff, why the fuck else would you have it as a faction.
If you want all factions to be equal and all compete the same way what is the reasons for these 8 arbitrary factions, it would all be useless. The whole concept of the factions would fall apart.
For me as an old merc it sounds insane that it seems like you want to run it like an eve corp, heck I even herd there is an eco department. Like what the fuck.

We never said we wanted to rely on colony ownership or ecoing, we simply said that removing that from a faction is removing a large chunk of game-play from the game. I personally don't care if we can own a colony or not if their is a soft/hard lock on corps from using higher grade weapons and armors since they are eco focused factions and shouldn't be on the same military/combat level as TDC or GotC. On the eco department, its more of a logistics department than an eco department people are just mislabeling it. We also dont want to run it like an Eve Corp either, I really dont know where you got that from but oh well I guess? Myself and 2 of the other HC are old MotB ourselves. (Darius Cayne and HBnY)

Banjo

Helpful Citizen

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 14, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
We never said we wanted to rely on colony ownership or ecoing, we simply said that removing that from a faction is removing a large chunk of game-play from the game. I personally don't care if we can own a colony or not if their is a soft/hard lock on corps from using higher grade weapons and armors since they are eco focused factions and shouldn't be on the same military/combat level as TDC or GotC. On the eco department, its more of a logistics department than an eco department people are just mislabeling it. We also dont want to run it like an Eve Corp either, I really dont know where you got that from but oh well I guess? Myself and 2 of the other HC are old MotB ourselves. (Darius Cayne and HBnY)
Gameplay is not being removed from the game, and possibly not even from your faction(if soft-locked or no-locked). Merc gameplay would indirectly interact and be part of colony take over regardless if they own any them self, just like they used to in fom. My point is that mercs shouldn't rely on colony ownership for their economy as I can see we agree on. As such I were pointing out in the previous thread that the game shouldn't be designed as if that were the case, like it kinda was in FOTD. Also colony ownership is a very small chunk of gameplay that most people even in corps won't really engage in, as it's likely to be restricted to HC, who probably also won't spent that much time on it. And if that is the sort of gameplay you wish for then you should be freely able to join another faction. Making all factions inherit the same features makes the game stale. We have all played to death the power rangers TDM.

Tornadium

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 30, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Service Points: 5
Is there any real reason for MoTB to control territory outside of headquarters/apartments/businesses?

Like legitimately what would be the purpose of them owning colonies except because they can?

Ferin

Dilettante

Supporting Donator
Jun 17, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Mercs is probably the hardest faction to balance given how dependent they are on other factions for "content".

From an RP point of view mercs only income should be from contracts, mostly combat oriented. Previous version of FoM you could mission farm and contracts were generally extra cash. So the problem will be in balancing that with making the faction accessible to newer players. i.e. new players won't get paid because no rep.

In my view Mercs should be the hardest faction to play, only income from contracts and no eco benefits from colony administration. No reason they can't take colonies, perhaps mechanics can be added where only certain members of a Merc Cell can contribute toward taking a colony if that is what the contract is for.

Reactions: 0ne_nine9

Meliarion

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 5, 2017
Followers of Eternity
Is there any real reason for MoTB to control territory outside of headquarters/apartments/businesses?

Like legitimately what would be the purpose of them owning colonies except because they can?
Being able to take colonies would certainly be important in times when the GoTC is fighting a war as a faction, rather than the normal practice of cells operating independently.

If the GoTC makes a collective decision between its various member cells to take territory then that should be handled diplomatically rather than by game mechanics. Taking territory and establishing a presence on the starmap opens you up new avenues of interference and it would be up to the mercs to decide if the reward outweighs the cost (and the other factions to influence that decision one way or another).

Reactions: PhoenixMask

JeffDillinger

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 27, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
Being able to take colonies would certainly be important in times when the GoTC is fighting a war as a faction, rather than the normal practice of cells operating independently.

If the GoTC makes a collective decision between its various member cells to take territory then that should be handled diplomatically rather than by game mechanics. Taking territory and establishing a presence on the starmap opens you up new avenues of interference and it would be up to the mercs to decide if the reward outweighs the cost (and the other factions to influence that decision one way or another).
The moment GotC abandons their cell system and acts as a faction outwardly, they lose their uniqueness and basically lose their reason to exist.

Meliarion

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 5, 2017
Followers of Eternity
The moment GotC abandons their cell system and acts as a faction outwardly, they lose their uniqueness and basically lose their reason to exist.
But GoTC is expected to be able to act as a faction to deal with existential threats. If you don't want them to unify perhaps you should make sure that doesn't happen?

Reactions: 0ne_nine9

0ne_nine9

Clone

Jun 13, 2020
The Syndicate
They should be able to group up as a union would in order to face external political and economical threats. Their main source of income per member ofc wouldn't be taking over colonies and holding them for UC.

I'd imagine both underground contracts for illicit merc activity but also high-profile corpo detailing would be viable options to win your day-to-day as a member of a cell.

On the other hand, to resist outside political pressure they will need to have a separation between the higher ranks and the lower ranks. Lower should stick to the contracts and manpower when needed. Higher should stay away from contracts but rather have a presence in establishing contacts with other factions and placing the GoTC in a good political position.

JeffDillinger

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 27, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
But GoTC is expected to be able to act as a faction to deal with existential threats. If you don't want them to unify perhaps you should make sure that doesn't happen?
If they don't act as a faction they won't have any existential threats to the faction to deal with now do they? The only reason other factions will ever go after the mercs as a faction is when they act like one, otherwise it'll be easier to just hire out mercs you want and ignore the ones you don't want. That's why I say, the moment the mercs abandon the cell system and unite, they lose their reason to exist because they'll never be able to act like mercs again.

Meliarion

Taxpayer

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jul 5, 2017
Followers of Eternity
If they don't act as a faction they won't have any existential threats to the faction to deal with now do they? The only reason other factions will ever go after the mercs as a faction is when they act like one, otherwise it'll be easier to just hire out mercs you want and ignore the ones you don't want. That's why I say, the moment the mercs abandon the cell system and unite, they lose their reason to exist because they'll never be able to act like mercs again.
I can certainly see the TU overestimating its power and messing with the faction as a whole. The implicit threat of a unified merc faction is going to be what gives the GoTC some teeth when negotiating for allowances around KoS/AoS rules and to push back on unreasonable laws and demands.

The Merc faction will attract people who want to form merc cells and do contracts and it should have a leadership that know that and will do what they can to support that, even if it means suspending cells and contracts to push back on some anti merc laws. Then once the threat has passed they can go back to taking contracts and not have to worry about the problems involved in territory management, economic production and a lot of high level diplomatic problems.

JeffDillinger

Dilettante

Bronzed Donator
Alpha Tester
Jun 27, 2017
Terran Defense Corps
I can certainly see the TU overestimating its power and messing with the faction as a whole. The implicit threat of a unified merc faction is going to be what gives the GoTC some teeth when negotiating for allowances around KoS/AoS rules and to push back on unreasonable laws and demands.

The Merc faction will attract people who want to form merc cells and do contracts and it should have a leadership that know that and will do what they can to support that, even if it means suspending cells and contracts to push back on some anti merc laws. Then once the threat has passed they can go back to taking contracts and not have to worry about the problems involved in territory management, economic production and a lot of high level diplomatic problems.
But why would the TU be anti merc? The whole government is ran by corporations who use mercs to do combat. I don't get why you're so hellbent on saying the TU will go after mercs as a whole when we simply don't, as long as they stick to their own rules.